• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Its that time of year. Box turtles are out and about and crawling across the roadway to get where they want to go. Please show them some respect and consideration by not being one of those A-holes that goes out of the way to hit them. If time and personal safety permit you can do a good deed for one of the oldest and longest living creatures on the planet and pick the critter up and move it out of the roadway in the direction it was already going. They are going to be so scared and closed up in their shell when you pick one up that biting you is the last thing in their mind.

This morning I moved two of them off of Pegg Road. Last year I think I moved 15-20 of them in the same area.

Thank you..

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Good point! Also, up here I've had to remove a few BIG snapping turtles from the roads. Those are big enough to cause a wreck. And yep, the little guys deserve a break too!

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    I moved a box turtle across the road here today.. The road must have been 120 degrees too.. poor little guy..

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    Hehe moved a painter turtle 2 weeks ago myself. Love turtles, they are ugly but also quite curious at the same time.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    Saved several good sized box turtles and even a terrapin, but havn't seen a snapper so far this year Cold blooded critters are very active when it get hot.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    I see them all the time around my house and on the way out the lane. I've moved the turtle or turtles (I don't know how many times I moved the same one) and a couple of black snakes stretched across the lane.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    they seem to be everywhere around my home this year. i would hate to run over one.... would probably tear a trucks suspension up pretty good.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Attachments

• Son_of_snap.jpg
      Son_of_snap.jpg
      27.6 KB · Views: 99

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I am no bunny-hugger. I am pro-hunting, eat meat, and don't even have any qualms if someone wants to shoot pest/invasive species.

But in my view, you have to be a special kind of sicko to deliberately run over a turtle struggling to make it across the road.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I am no bunny-hugger. I am pro-hunting, eat meat, and don't even have any qualms if someone wants to shoot pest/invasive species.

But in my view, you have to be a special kind of sicko to deliberately run over a turtle struggling to make it across the road.

Agreed. I have a soft spot for turtles and always move them. About two years ago I was out running and saw a turtle ahead in the road. Before I got to him a truck swerved into the oncoming lane to run it over. To say I was pissed is an understatement.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    Its that time of year. Box turtles are out and about and crawling across the roadway to get where they want to go. Please show them some respect and consideration by not being one of those A-holes that goes out of the way to hit them. If time and personal safety permit you can do a good deed for one of the oldest and longest living creatures on the planet and pick the critter up and move it out of the roadway in the direction it was already going. They are going to be so scared and closed up in their shell when you pick one up that biting you is the last thing in their mind.

This morning I moved two of them off of Pegg Road. Last year I think I moved 15-20 of them in the same area.

Thank you..

It shouldn't suprise me there are people that would do that, but it does disappoint me.:sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom