• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Are pistol grip only shotgun still legal to buy in Maryland? I have a project in mind that requires one and was recently told by a gun store owner/operator that they are a no no now.

miben

Sep 29, 2007
    NC formerly Eldersburg MD
    Have to be 21 since they are an 'other'.

That's my take on it too. There is a ffl newsletter that specifies it is not a shotgun because a shotgun is fired from the shoulder. The fed may consider it a destructive device. If you convert one it may be manufacturing a destructive device.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I think the pistol grip/shotgun deal was one of the things removed from HB or SB281 before it was voted on. I could be wrong though.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Must be 21, they are not shotguns though. They are "Other" firearms.

The dealer may likely be confused by SB281 part of the law that applies to the 28"+ OAL. That only applies to centerfire rifles that are semiautomatic.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I might be wrong (I usually am), but I thought federal law used to require 18" barrel with an OAL of 26". My old folding stock that I used undercover in the 70s was still 29" when folded. If it meets those parameters, it should be kosher for cash and carry.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I might be wrong (I usually am), but I thought federal law used to require 18" barrel with an OAL of 26". My old folding stock that I used undercover in the 70s was still 29" when folded. If it meets those parameters, it should be kosher for cash and carry.

For a shotgun yes, you are correct.

Shotgun Definition means its Fired from the Shoulder (Has a Buttstock), or at one time HAD a Stock on it. BATFE appears to take the position of "once a Shotgun ALWAYS a Shotgun".

A Pistol Grip Only 870 or 500 (Factory Produced) that is not a combo gun (With a Pistol Grip and Buttstock in the Box) is an "Other" Firearm. Its not a shotgun and there is NO minimum Barrel Length, just a 26" OAL must be maintained. Its a "Firearm" that shoots a shotshell.

Shorter than 26" is NFA territory.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    For a shotgun yes, you are correct.

Shotgun Definition means its Fired from the Shoulder (Has a Buttstock), or at one time HAD a Stock on it. BATFE appears to take the position of "once a Shotgun ALWAYS a Shotgun".

A Pistol Grip Only 870 or 500 (Factory Produced) that is not a combo gun (With a Pistol Grip and Buttstock in the Box) is an "Other" Firearm. Its not a shotgun and there is NO minimum Barrel Length, just a 26" OAL must be maintained. Its a "Firearm" that shoots a shotshell.

Shorter than 26" is NFA territory.

Thank you Chad, your's is the voice I was hoping to hear from on this issue so thank you again. Hopefully I can complete this project and post pics.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thank you Chad, your's is the voice I was hoping to hear from on this issue so thank you again. Hopefully I can complete this project and post pics.

Glad to offer some input. :)

Remember when dealing with a FFL, that most FFL's are not going to know what I explained. Most don't even know one has to be 21 to buy a Pistol Grip 870.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    fire one b4 you buy, not a lot of fun to shoot

IMO, with a traditional pistol grip you are correct (Protrudes below the receiver) but the birdshead type pistol grips are a hoot to shoot (comes straight back). I can shoot them one handed with ease suing 12G slugs and Magnum loads.

Im not a massive fella either. I even had some videos up till some mean BATFE Agents picked a fight with me and the project at the shop I work at.

Feb 28, 2013
    fire one b4 you buy, not a lot of fun to shoot

IMO, with a traditional pistol grip you are correct (Protrudes below the receiver) but the birdshead type pistol grips are a hoot to shoot (comes straight back). I can shoot them one handed with ease suing 12G slugs and Magnum loads.

Im not a massive fella either. I even had some videos up till some mean BATFE Agents picked a fight with me and the project at the shop I work at.

Well, I'm bigger than Chad, by probably 6 inches, and I'm not real fond of shooting pistol grip shotguns either. How you hold it makes a big difference. The funny things, the ones he describes above scare me more than regular grips.

Are pistol grip only shotgun still legal to buy in Maryland? I have a project in mind that requires one and was recently told by a gun store owner/operator that they are a no no now.

Bushwa. They're legal. Find a gun store owner that knows what the hell he's doing.

I have one, and it even has a shoulder thing that goes up.

What I'm not sure of is whether that means the stock or the heart shield.:lol2:

Sirex