• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Will be interested to see how good they are and the street price once they come out. May not be any cheaper than the ones out there now if there is all the hand fitting I think there is on them.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    Wow - cool article. I would love a 1908 in that gorgeous colt blueing. The latest NRA mag had an impeccable one on a recent cover along with other "EDC" item. The idea of a real 1908 as an EDC....

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Next to the Python the SSA is a nail gun in regards to intricacy and it costs $1500. Plus the Python was their premier gun. You can bet that new Python will be well in the $2,000 dollar range. I'd say close to $2300 - $2500.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Next to the Python the SSA is a nail gun in regards to intricacy and it costs $1500. Plus the Python was their premier gun. You can bet that new Python will be well in the $2,000 dollar range. I'd say close to $2300 - $2500.

****That would be a very reasonable price given the work needed to make one as well as the premium charged for the name. Good work generally does not come cheap.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Don't bet money on Python returning. Colt had that idea a couple of years ago and it died a horrible death as soon as Colt told dealers to expect pricing north of $2500. We will sooner see Colt selling rebadged Rossi revolvers.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Upper end 1911s cost $2000 and up. Maybe there there would be a market for a high end revolver.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    In my observation...

Colt needs to hire fresh engineering to develop a good DA revolver which is strong, modular and not archaic in design. Then sell it for a cost which doesn't bleed buyers because of that horsey stamped on it. (I am sure the Colt fans will keep the prices up in the stratosphere just by keeping the shelves cleaned off.) Refining the King Cobra would be a start. It is actually a decent gun, just needs debugging.

Then a 22 rimfire auto and a decent midsize centerfire (9mm).

Fresh stockholder management is needed to allow engineers to do what needs to be done to be competitive. It would be fair to say if it wasn't for the AR-15/M4 and the 1911, Colt would have been long defunct. Many are carrying the Marine Corps Rail gun banner and cheering its uniqueness. No excitement here, everyone else was building that type of 1911 years before Colt did. Heck, it isn't even Colt's concept on their own gun. Colt needs fresh corporate management and thinking. Hiring someone with their finger on industry pulse to lead Colt but stonewalling at the corporate level just perpetuates fiscal history. With the exception of the revolver era through early 1980's, it has been like that since Sam Colt poo-pahhed the concept of bored through cylinders and self contained cartridges.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    With Ruger and S&W alone, Colt doesn't stand a chance building anything modern that will sell. I don't think anyone including Colt can compete is this market, they would have to basically reinvent themselves as a whole new company. What could they manufacture that would be unique and get people excited to buy, and generate profit for the company?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Re-introducing the Python would result in training a new generation of gunsmiths in a nearly forgotten level of craftsmanship. It would be worthwhile for that alone.

There's a lot of old Colts out there that would benefit from smiths who were competent to work on them, which is yet another benefit.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    With Ruger and S&W alone, Colt doesn't stand a chance building anything modern that will sell. I don't think anyone including Colt can compete is this market, they would have to basically reinvent themselves as a whole new company. What could they manufacture that would be unique and get people excited to buy, and generate profit for the company?

They could and it would be tough. It would need to be accepted they wouldn't see huge sales at first so would need to promote on break even for awhile. Small guns are hot sales, good autos (not difficult to exceed the M&P9 in performance). Give the plastic striker fired some soul.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Not until S&W goes bankrupt. You can get a customized S&W Performance Center revolver for under two grand.

I've seen, handled, and heard alot about those and let's jus' say, "I'm not at all impressed with their quality" nor the quality of their classic line compared to their originals. I'll buy the ORIGINAL PRODUCTION GUNS ONLY and not waste my money on their PC or classic pieces of shit.

I sold an orignal and have regretted it ever since. Need to start saving cause it won't be cheap.......

.........to buy another ORIGINAL.

In my observation...

Colt needs to hire fresh engineering to develop a good DA revolver which is strong, modular and not archaic in design. Then sell it for a cost which doesn't bleed buyers because of that horsey stamped on it. (I am sure the Colt fans will keep the prices up in the stratosphere just by keeping the shelves cleaned off.) Refining the King Cobra would be a start. It is actually a decent gun, just needs debugging.

Then a 22 rimfire auto and a decent midsize centerfire (9mm).

Fresh stockholder management is needed to allow engineers to do what needs to be done to be competitive. It would be fair to say if it wasn't for the AR-15/M4 and the 1911, Colt would have been long defunct. Many are carrying the Marine Corps Rail gun banner and cheering its uniqueness. No excitement here, everyone else was building that type of 1911 years before Colt did. Heck, it isn't even Colt's concept on their own gun. Colt needs fresh corporate management and thinking. Hiring someone with their finger on industry pulse to lead Colt but stonewalling at the corporate level just perpetuates fiscal history. With the exception of the revolver era through early 1980's, it has been like that since Sam Colt poo-pahhed the concept of bored through cylinders and self contained cartridges.

If it weren't for the many gubments of the free world, domestic and foreign, for the M16 and M4 contracts of the recent 50 years, IMO Colt would be a thing of the past as we know it though most likely some company would've purchased the name to keep it alive in name only. Colt needs something new and exciting but it's heading in the wrong direction with reintroductions of past guns with substantially lower quality AT CURRENT HIGH COLLECTOR PRICES. Like what Magnumite brought up, do something that's productive and make something of reasonably good quality such as Ruger's GP100 or S&W's 686 in something like the King Cobra and have the price point right there with the other two. Any current gun company in this country that has the know how and technology such as Colt can do this inna' heartbeat. When somebody on this forum asks the question, "What's the best new modern DA .357 magnum revolver to buy for well under $1,000.00 out the door???" and we all know what the plethora of answers will already will be.....hands down it will be one of two answers, S&W 686 and Ruger GP100. Basically those two companies have that market cornered, but not so cornered that another company of similar quality gun (we're excluding Taurus intentionally 'cuz their quality doesn't measure up to the standards here) couldn't get in there without much of a problem. Colt could really start to make a comeback here with this as the revolver point brought up here is prolly the simplest and easiest to do for them right now, then continue on with a .22 auto and a 9mm auto next like Magnumite brought up.

I think you're wrong in making that statement. If you read what I said about Magnumite's post and my post, both above, I believe Colt can "PULL IT OUT" and become a competitive firearm manufacturer once again and stand on it's own two feet such as S&W and Ruger. First, they gotta' get cooperate to "PULL" their heads OUTta'der assholes before they can "PULL IT OUT" an' "GIT IR DONE".

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The other question -

How big is the revolver market? Are enough sold to make it worthwhile to engineer a new product and bring it onto production?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    For those just commenting and not reading said article, they have a wall full of Python parts, and the original machinery to make more. No material costs for a while. And while they won't be S&W/Ruger pricing, $2500 for a NIB Python isn't unreasonable. I've seen originals go for way more. Another bonus, 6" stainless Pythons will be available. Now I need to sell some of my stuff to buy one.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My wife said I can get one. She likes revolvers. We only have one....her .44 magnum. She'll like the .357.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom