• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    Not all that friendly, now are you?

In fairness, it *DOES* say that directly under my username. ;)

I'm actually a snuggly teddy bear in person (mostly ;) ), but you have to admit you did keep going even after corrected. :)

it's okay though. i surely can't get bent out of shape over one person's opinion on the internet.....odds are not EVERYONE is going to agree 100% of the time. but please, if you need to clarify something I've posted, just ask--I'm happy to do so. makes things far more amicable than assuming something I've not stated. :)

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'd like to build a truly lightweight 3-gun rifle. What's the consensus on cut outs on receivers? This will be strictly a competition rifle, not a SHTF rifle.

This is my original question. This rifle will be a rifle version of a Formula 1 car, not a daily driver. So I will be getting a lightweight BCG and all of the other goodies, along with backups and such. I'm contemplating the cut out receivers to reduce weight. The rifle needs to get me through a match, not survive the apocalypse. Thanks.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    if you need to clarify something I've posted, just ask--I'm happy to do so. makes things far more amicable than assuming something I've not stated. :)
    Talk to me about your gas system tuning, last round hold open, and the ammo you use, please.
    I'm contemplating the cut out receivers to reduce weight.

Links? The last few non-vaporware skeletonized receivers I saw were billet, so they started from a heavier weight. The amount of skeletonizing on some I've seen concerned me as well so I started to look at lightweight forged receivers. I found the following without trying too hard: 1) 2A Arms 'Balios Lite' upper/lower combination - upper is under 6oz and the lower about 6.5oz; 2) V7 Weapon Systems has a slickside upper (no FA or dust cover) with shell deflector that weighs 6.4oz; 3) A run of the mill forged stripped upper with no FA is about 6.5oz as well, but has provisions for adding the port door. A forged no FA upper with mil-spec port door assembly represents a savings of about 1.3oz. A forged slickside upper represents a savings of about 2oz.

Another method to lose some weight, though at high cost per oz IMO, is to shed mil-spec parts with lightened/Ti parts. V7 Weapon Systems has a whole catalog of replacement parts from trigger pins (incl. 0.155" Geissele size) to castle nuts to port doors. What I'm finding is that the place to lose the most weight in one fell swoop is in the carrier.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Lancer has some pretty sweet lightweight, competition-specific offerings. Here's one at 6.25 lbs.

L15-Outlaw.jpg

I'd love to pick up one of their 308 offerings for Heavy Metal. Only 9 lbs. My current HM rifle is ~15 lbs, but $3400 is a little steep for me.

L30-heavymetal.jpg

http://www.lancer-systems.com/advanced-weapons-components-2/products/l15-modern-sporting-rifles/

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Talk to me about your gas system tuning, last round hold open, and the ammo you use, please.

Links? The last few non-vaporware skeletonized receivers I saw were billet, so they started from a heavier weight. The amount of skeletonizing on some I've seen concerned me as well so I started to look at lightweight forged receivers. I found the following without trying too hard: 1) 2A Arms 'Balios Lite' upper/lower combination - upper is under 6oz and the lower about 6.5oz; 2) V7 Weapon Systems has a slickside upper (no FA or dust cover) with shell deflector that weighs 6.4oz; 3) A run of the mill forged stripped upper with no FA is about 6.5oz as well, but has provisions for adding the port door. A forged no FA upper with mil-spec port door assembly represents a savings of about 1.3oz. A forged slickside upper represents a savings of about 2oz.

Another method to lose some weight, though at high cost per oz IMO, is to shed mil-spec parts with lightened/Ti parts. V7 Weapon Systems has a whole catalog of replacement parts from trigger pins (incl. 0.155" Geissele size) to castle nuts to port doors. What I'm finding is that the place to lose the most weight in one fell swoop is in the carrier.

Because he is a VA resident, he is not limited to the HBAR requirement that we are. He can shave weight by using a MD banned barrel, due to his VA status. That should shave at least 6oz +, if not more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom