• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    An OP said they were too busy to vote because they work. I'm sure others have also seen those who said they wouldn't vote because they "didn't like any of the candidates" and/or "thought their vote wouldn't count."

I'm tired of hearing the whiney excuses. Let me point this out, loud and clear:

FIELD TRIPS TO LAWYER'S MALL ARE NICE, BUT VOTING IS THE ONLY WAY TO CHANGE THE COMPOSITION OF THE MGA. I SAY AGAIN - THE ONLY WAY.

2A Tuesday is a good civics exercise, but it won't change any faces in the next session. "Mike-Squared" won't be forced out or out-shouted unless many of the MGA players change, and that's done by voting in new people and voting the bums out. The operative word here is voting. iF WE COULD GET 10,000 NEW PEOPLE TO THE POLLS, IT WOULD CHANGE MARYLAND POLITICS FOREVER. Understand now?
    :mad54:
    /rant

I understand your rant, but 2A Tuesday is a little more than a civics lesson, it is a way for voters to actually meet their elected officials face to face and find out what they are really about. In preparation for the elections in 2018. It is part of the education process needed to make changes in 2018.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    3,000 votes is enough to knock Busch completely out of the park.

He is the weakest in his district of all the GA leadership.

THIS.....and the movement in his District should be starting today, this year, not waiting until 2018.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Completely agree. But it seems that we're devoting most of our resources to the once a year 2A Tuesday effort to the detriment of building a fired-up voter base. Without the "growing" and "sustainment" efforts we'll fall flat during the next local (city and state) voting cycle. We can't forget that if we are to succeed next time around.

Then start a political organization that can endorse and promote political candidates. You do realize that as a 501c4 MSI can't endorse anyone, neither can AGC as a 501c3 or MSRPA for that matter?

It has to be done at the local level in the respective districts, not state wide.

In the meantime 2A Tuesday and the like, are used to; A) get people to Annapolis and educate them on the bills, and B) get them in front of their elected officials and hopefully get them to bring more friends next year, to do as Mr H says, get them to know your face, get them to know your issues and get them to know you vote.

What you propose is an entirely different, yet concurrent path than what MSI, AGC and MSRPA were set up for.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I don't even think we necessarily need everyone to be MSI members, but if we could get 10,000 people into Annapolis it would most certainly make a lot of legislators think twice. E-mails are easy, having a few hundred constituents in your office is something none of them have dealt with.

Lately, I've been on a one-man campaign to advertise 2ATuesday. I'm working on printing up business card sized information handouts to pass on to anyone who is interested.

I always wear my 2A 'togs' when I am out and about, and you would be surprised how many people notice then comment about the hassles of getting an HQL. I have taken the opportunity to tell them about 2ATuesday, which gave me the idea of printing up a card I can hand to them. They haven't joined MSI, or even know about MDS, but just want to exercise their right here in the PRofMD without it being infringed.

Once I get the card finished, I'll post here to share for others to print. We've got to 'shine our light' in many different ways other than preaching to the choir. I have yet to get a negative response from anyone regarding my garb or my mission, so what's stopping everyone from being a little more 'outgoing' with their 2A evangelism ? You don't need to drag people to the range to convince them as many are already convinced that they need a bigger voice.

Winning hearts and minds one person at a time ...

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I'm tired of hearing the whiney excuses. Let me point this out, loud and clear:

FIELD TRIPS TO LAWYER'S MALL ARE NICE, BUT VOTING IS THE ONLY WAY TO CHANGE THE COMPOSITION OF THE MGA. I SAY AGAIN - THE ONLY WAY.

There is a lot a preparation that needs to be done before voting.

The number 1 goal is getting people to care enough to go and vote.

There are plenty of members here in SoMD, that are devoting their personal time to bring in new hunters, get women motivated by the NRA "Women on Target" classes, or HQL classes to name a few.

Every new person in the 2A fight helps to secure a new vote.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

There are plenty of members here in SoMD, that are devoting their personal time to bring in new hunters, get women motivated by the NRA "Women on Target" classes, or HQL classes to name a few.

Are all of those new people being told about MSI, the NRA, etc.?

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I am starting to look at this from a different angle, and perhaps others should as well.

Instead of constituents that are Pro-2A, why not constituents that their only concern is personal protection and wanting a firearm to do so?

Wouldn't that do two things?

1. Open up the pool of constituents to reach out to and turn out.

2. Make it harder for politicians to say they they against personal protection as opposed to the 2nd Amendment?

You begin to understand group social dynamics. Good!

Most people will ask "What's in it for me?" Personal protection would be a non-abstract answer. Especially if Baltimore lights up again.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

The problem isn't SOMD; it's PGCO, MOCO and Baltimore City.

See my reply to dblas' excellent observation.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I am starting to look at this from a different angle, and perhaps others should as well.

Instead of constituents that are Pro-2A, why not constituents that their only concern is personal protection and wanting a firearm to do so?

Wouldn't that do two things?

1. Open up the pool of constituents to reach out to and turn out.

2. Make it harder for politicians to say they they against personal protection as opposed to the 2nd Amendment?

You know I believe that, ideally, we should have people working on 'all of the above'.

We did a pretty good job (as a community, and to BeoBill's point) in this past election cycle, in getting people to think of new and different ways to approach these issues.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    You begin to understand group social dynamics. Good!

Most people will ask "What's in it for me?" Personal protection would be a non-abstract answer. Especially if Baltimore lights up again.

Spot on! WIIFM (what's in it for me) became a business cliche years ago for a reason. And yes, a catalyst. One right after the other of late. The bad news is that catalysts seem to be more and more frequent. The good news is that, especially when cumulative, they tend to garner the attention of mainstream folks. Folks for whom Madison is preceded by Dolly, or is followed by Square Garden.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    damn.

I am quite the opposite. I wont work for antis. I don't want their money. I preach the second amendment and the constitution to everyone around me and I leave no doubt in anyone's mind how I think and vote and what I believe. hell I regularly fire new hires the office sends me if they are antis. I don't want that filth around me. but to each his own. everyone must do as their conscience lets them.

hell, money just doesn't mean that much to me. I guess I was raised differently than most.

We work for our family and money we earn is ours, no one else. Your paradigm is different. You are damn right I'll trade a six figure income and not lose any sleep not putting a NRA sticker on my bumper if I know it would cost me a client. We walk in to clients homes with photos of themselves with Obama etc. I'll take the $15K project and keep politics out of it.

I recall years ago I was getting a flight physical. The doctor had photo of he and WJC. The doctor started talking up some politicians I did not care for at all. I smiled and nodded.. This guy was going to do some mean nastiness on me, and last thing I want to do is get on his bad side.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    We work for our family and money we earn is ours, no one else. Your paradigm is different. You are damn right I'll trade a six figure income and not lose any sleep not putting a NRA sticker on my bumper if I know it would cost me a client. We walk in to clients homes with photos of themselves with Obama etc. I'll take the $15K project and keep politics out of it.

I recall years ago I was getting a flight physical. The doctor had photo of he and WJC. The doctor started talking up some politicians I did not care for at all. I smiled and nodded.. This guy was going to do some mean nastiness on me, and last thing I want to do is get on his bad side.

I run a mid size construction company down here , I also estimate jobs for the company and I farm full time.

if someone comes in the office that I believe is an anti I ask. if they are I refuse to do anything for them. as far as I am concerned they can rot in hell before I would do a thing for them. the company has the right to fire me for it but since I have been working for this same group of men for 33 years I don't see it happening. I wont have those type working for me , subbing from me, hell I wouldn't hire them to wipe my butt.

i also go to a pro 2a doctor and a pro 2a dentist a pro 2a mechanic. i wont give my money to antis.

i don't know how anyone can sell their convictions for money.

HauptsAriba

Feb 16, 2014
    Anne Arundel
    I run a mid size construction company down here , I also estimate jobs for the company and I farm full time.

if someone comes in the office that I believe is an anti I ask. if they are I refuse to do anything for them. as far as I am concerned they can rot in hell before I would do a thing for them. the company has the right to fire me for it but since I have been working for this same group of men for 33 years I don't see it happening. I wont have those type working for me , subbing from me, hell I wouldn't hire them to wipe my butt.

i also go to a pro 2a doctor and a pro 2a dentist a pro 2a mechanic. i wont give my money to antis.

i don't know how anyone can sell their convictions for money.
    My hats off to you. Are you hiring?

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I give money to charities I choose. I spend money for value received. I really don't qualify merchants or clients by their gun policy. Just sounds like a real extremist life style I want no part of. I find it juvenile to impose my convictions, when they are no way material to a transaction.

You actually ask people ?

if someone comes in the office that I believe is an anti I ask. if they are I refuse to do anything for them.

Sorry, that is just :tinfoil: in my view. If someone is pleasant wants to spend the money for service, they get no inquisition from me.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I give money to charities I choose. I spend money for value received. I really don't qualify merchants or clients by their gun policy. Just sounds like a real extremist life style I want no part of. I find it juvenile to impose my convictions, when they are no way material to a transaction.

You actually ask people ?

Sorry, that is just :tinfoil: in my view. If someone is pleasant wants to spend the money for service, they get no inquisition from me.

if i believe they are i ask. i have no problem doing so and telling them why and telling them , if they are, that i wont work for them and why. i don't hide who and what i am.

extremist? probably. i am the quintessential right wing gun nut.

juvenile? nah, i just want to know who and what i am dealing with.

my convictions are strong, i do what i believe is right, no matter the cost or consequence. my word is my bond. and i wont sell out for anything, especially money, that's just how i was raised.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I take a different line of thinking.

What's better than taking a bunch of an anti's money and then give a portion of that to MSI, NRA, SAF, etc?

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather take work from a like minded individual/company but I certainly don't mind taking money from an anti.

I do a lot of work for a pretty famous vegan bakery in DC and don't mind taking money from those hippie dippie lesbian whack jobs.

That makes me a capitalist and has nothing to do with my stance on the 2A.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I take a different line of thinking.

What's better than taking a bunch of an anti's money and then give a portion of that to MSI, NRA, SAF, etc?

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather take work from a like minded individual/company but I certainly don't mind taking money from an anti.

I do a lot of work for a pretty famous vegan bakery in DC and don't mind taking money from those hippie dippie lesbian whack jobs.

That makes me a capitalist and has nothing to do with my stance on the 2A.

you could be right, schip could be right, hell I could be right. I just cant be around them.

I remember just before daddy went to nam, he stood me in the trailer door were we lived on base and told me to think before I did things and if you think something is going to make you feel bad, or ashamed or dirty then don't do it because its the wrong thing to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom