• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjjefferson

Aug 22, 2011
    Laurel, MD
    Welcome! We need more like minded people here. We even have a Republican governor, unlike the Virginians. It isn't as bad as some might have you believe.

If you own a post ban weapon, sell it and just buy more guns when you get here. Get a HBAR or a SCAR or even a 18" barreled Tavor, cash and carry because they are far safer than any pencil barreled AR, according to the state.

Annapolis can be a wonderful place. Congratulations. Try to stay away from Baltimore.

LOL...says the guy who lives in the Peoples Republic of Montgomery County.

mwb.brown

Apr 7, 2016
    Hello,

I thought I was post my question here to keep from creating duplicated threads.

I'm a VA resident moving to PG county in Maryland, I don't have much choice in the matter so here I am. I have a number of rifles including 2 short barreled rifles(PS-90 and a Sig 551-A1), an AR I built, M1 carbine(original WWII configuration),2 M1 Grands and 2 silencers. I also have a number of bolt action rifles from the early 1900's and some modern hand guns.

Everything was purchased in VA prior to the Oct 2013 MD firearms law.

It is my understanding that I have 90 days from when I establish residency to register the Sig, the AR and the PS-90 with the state police. The ATF paper work is already dealt with. Can those of you with experience with this process tell me what to expect and if I should watch out for anything specific.

Thanks in advance for your help.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    Welcome to the forum and condolences on being forced to reside in the People's Republic of Maryland.

On registering your AR:
    If you can swap to an upper with a HBAR barrel configuration, the rifle magically becomes a safe target shooting sport rifle and is no longer subject to registration. You don't have to get rid of your old upper, just be sure not to put it back on the rifle while in Maryland, i.e., keep it handy for a trip back to Free America.

On your SBRs:
    While Maryland law considers them to be handguns and thus not part of the banned rifles list, the same law also considers them to be rifles when it comes to the overall length requirements of FSA 2013. The SBR must be at least 29" in OAL with the stock in the extended position. There is considerable discussion in the NFA/Class 3 folder on what barrel length and stock combos can help reach this goal.

Please remember to register to vote before you register your guns.

mwb.brown

Apr 7, 2016
    Welcome to the forum and condolences on being forced to reside in the People's Republic of Maryland.
    Thank you comrade. :)

On registering your AR:
    If you can swap to an upper with a HBAR barrel configuration, the rifle magically becomes a safe target shooting sport rifle and is no longer subject to registration. You don't have to get rid of your old upper, just be sure not to put it back on the rifle while in Maryland, i.e., keep it handy for a trip back to Free America.

Since I have to register my SIG and PS-90 anyway, it's not a big deal to also register the AR while I'm doing it. That is assuming I can register.
    On your SBRs:
    While Maryland law considers them to be handguns and thus not part of the banned rifles list, the same law also considers them to be rifles when it comes to the overall length requirements of FSA 2013. The SBR must be at least 29" in OAL with the stock in the extended position. There is considerable discussion in the NFA/Class 3 folder on what barrel length and stock combos can help reach this goal.
    I owned the SBRs prior to the ban, so I can still register them right? They are both under 29" with the stocks fully extended. (one is only 19.25 and the other is 27").
    Please remember to register to vote before you register your guns.

I'll be doing that, and watching the MD shall issue group to see who to support.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    Thank you comrade. :)

Since I have to register my SIG and PS-90 anyway, it's not a big deal to also register the AR while I'm doing it. That is assuming I can register.

I owned the SBRs prior to the ban, so I can still register them right? They are both under 29" with the stocks fully extended. (one is only 19.25 and the other is 27").

I'll be doing that, and watching the MD shall issue group to see who to support.

They are verboten in Maryland. I'm surprised you were able to get an approved 5320.20 from the ATF for the interstate transport to Maryland. You will not be able to register them. Don't even think about bringing them here unless you can figure some way to get them past the magical limit of 29" OAL.

Yes, it sucks. No, it doesn't make any sense.

I may well be wrong and have an overcautious interpretation of the law. Might be worthwhile making an inquiry about bring SBRs into the state in the NFA section. I hope I'm wrong but I'd rather err on the side of keeping you out of trouble.

mwb.brown

Apr 7, 2016

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    Google found me this.

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Document D...rreled Shotguns and Short Barreled Rifles.pdf

So it looks ok, unless something I'm missing supersedes this.

and I do appreciate keeping me out of trouble.

You may want to take a second look at that document, with particular attention to the first section on the second page:

III. Possession of "Copycat"weapon

A short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun that meets the definition of "copycat weapon" set forth in CR § 4-301(e) (for example, "a semi-automatic centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 29 inches" or "a semi-automatic shotgun that has a folding stock") is an "assault weapon" and subject to the restrictions on transportation, possession, sale and receipt set forth in Title 4, Subtitle 3, of the Criminal Law Article.

Confusing? Vague? Welcome to Maryland. The gun laws in this state are a maze full of traps for the unwary.

mwb.brown

Apr 7, 2016
    I think that is actually good for me in this case, since I owned them prior to the 2013 law and there is a grandfather provision. It sucks that I won't be able to buy any more.

On your recommendation I went over the NFA sub forum and they appear to say it's ok so far. I'll wait a little longer to see if anyone else says otherwise. But thank you for your help.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    I think that is actually good for me in this case, since I owned them prior to the 2013 law and there is a grandfather provision. It sucks that I won't be able to buy any more.

On your recommendation I went over the NFA sub forum and they appear to say it's ok so far. I'll wait a little longer to see if anyone else says otherwise. But thank you for your help.

Glad they were able to clear things up for you and I apologize for not having the the correct answer for you sooner. Guess it was just a case of BGOS (Battered Gun Owners Syndrome.) FSA 2013 was a true CF of confusing and contradictory vagueness.

mwb.brown

Apr 7, 2016
    Glad they were able to clear things up for you and I apologize for not having the the correct answer for you sooner. Guess it was just a case of BGOS (Battered Gun Owners Syndrome.) FSA 2013 was a true CF of confusing and contradictory vagueness.

You aren't kidding. This is my first time living in an "anti-gun" state and I'm starting to realize what I've given up.

Next on my move todo list is voter registration in MD. :mad54:

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Trust me, the real United Sates is right across the border in West Virginia. 42 years in MD and never has the air felt so good as it does in WV. Early in those years MD was pretty decent. But not in the last 15 years or so.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    you need to find a way to prove it. you should have completed a 4473 when you purchased the firearm.

some will say it's up to MD to prove it's purchase date but I'm not sure.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    mxskater25

I have a question. When you buy guns in free states like florida they don't make you register your gun and if you don't keep the recent how would Maryland know WHEN you bought it?

By researching the serial number they can determine when it's possible for you to have bought it. Beyond that is is your say so and any receipts you may have. And what you post on the internet.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If purchased from a dealer, they can track the firearm from the manufacturer, to the distributor, to the dealer, to who and when it was sold to you.

If you bought it face to face, there is no way to track that sale. But they could find the person who bought it from the dealer and ask them when they sold it.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Oh Chreeist! Hold off registering until Day 89...I think you'll have gotten your fill by then and be ready to Unass the Merryland prison.

Lew--Ranger63
    Unsafe, Merryland 20769-1369

JT20639

Nov 22, 2016
    First off, wow! Maryland gun laws are something!

From my research I understand that you can't transport a gun in your car unless you're going to a shooting range, hunting, class, etc.

But I can't seem to find anything on my situation. I'm currently a Florida resident and temporarily moving to MD for work. Duration is less than 1 year so I'm keeping my FL residency and license plates. There's a shooting range down the road from where I'll be living so I'd like to bring a handgun up.

It doesn't seem like there's anyway I can though. Does anyone know anything about visiting the state with handguns?

I'm also going to be driving around with FL plates. And there was that story in the news about how MD state police were targeting Florida plates registered to CCW Permit holders. So that kind of freaks me out. Am I just better off leaving the gun at home and using the rentals at the range?

I believe you can transport a handgun in your vehicle in any state without the fear of reprisal as long as it is unloaded and in a locked gun case and not within arms reach( ie, your trunk). And to be even more safe do not have any ammo in the vehicle. By your ammo when you arrive at the gun range. You'll pay a little more for it.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I believe you can transport a handgun in your vehicle in any state without the fear of reprisal as long as it is unloaded and in a locked gun case and not within arms reach( ie, your trunk). And to be even more safe do not have any ammo in the vehicle. By your ammo when you arrive at the gun range. You'll pay a little more for it.

:rolleyes:

You can transport a firearm in your vehicle as long as the ammo and the firearm are in separate containers and the firearm is in a locked container.

In MD there is no requirement to do what you are saying. Look it up in COMAR, specifically 4-203. In MD I can legally transport a firearm in a soft sided case and the ammo in a separate container, and neither one are required to be locked according to MD law. I transport ammo in a range bag or 50 cal ammo can, going to/from the range. There is no need to "be safer" by buying ammo at the range you are going to. What happens if the range you are going to, doesn't sell ammo?

philios

Mar 3, 2017
    Hi all. Am in the same boat, forced to move to MD for a new job and currently have a >29" AR15 variant purchased in 2015. A few questions that I could not find answered anywhere else...

1) Im assuming a telescoping stock counts as a "folding stock"?
    2) If I remove the flash-hider and just left the end of the barrel bare, would this technically meet legal standards?

Thanks-

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom