Maryland scraps 'fingerprint' database. Epic fail.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Didn't this die on Oct.1? Wbal had a report on this today too and fox45 had a story last week also. The Fox story was quite disappointing. They spun it as if it would still be available to law enforcement to use.

Fox didn't spin it that way, the MSP press release that came out said that while the legislation authorized them to scrap the brass, MSP was going to hold onto the casing to possibly aid in future cases. While the program is now defunct, they can still use the cases to "solve" crimes.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    It was a joke, they got the shell casings from 1 handgun I have bought since 2000, since I the other 14 were all used and made before 2000. This was a total waste of our taxpayer money and an effort to cut down on the types of handguns that could sold in Maryland.

How so? Any handgun on the roster could be sold in MD, there is no requirement that the fired shell casing come from the manufacturer. There are many FFL's in the state that provided the service of fired shell casing for those firearms that did not come with one from the manufacturer.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Which is exactly what it did, until substituted by a new, improved way to cut down on the types and numbers of handguns that would be sold in Maryland.

With the new useless impediment in place, the old one wasn't needed anymore. They did keep it another year though, just to be sure.

If there were litigation and the MGA members behind this were deposed, and if they told the truth, I have no doubt that there were many, many conversations among themselves in private that would expose the ulterior motives behind these laws.

Go back and read both the US Constitution (Article I Section 6) and the Maryland Constitution (Article 3 Section 18).

In short, they cannot be held criminally or for any civil action for whatever words spoken in debate. (this would probably include any discussion in and out of committee as well on and off the floor of the House and Senate while in session.)

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    How so? Any handgun on the roster could be sold in MD, there is no requirement that the fired shell casing come from the manufacturer. There are many FFL's in the state that provided the service of fired shell casing for those firearms that did not come with one from the manufacturer.

Maybe so, but it added extra expense and hassle for a citizen to buy a gun without impeding the criminals at all. So, in that regard it was a success!

Stoic58

Jan 10, 2013
    Silver Spring
    They got one from me in 2001 (from a revolver, which is separately hilarious...). I'm hoping they eventually sell off the brass so my shell casing can be reborn as someone's doorknob.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Fox didn't spin it that way, the MSP press release that came out said that while the legislation authorized them to scrap the brass, MSP was going to hold onto the casing to possibly aid in future cases. While the program is now defunct, they can still use the cases to "solve" crimes.

Just like has happened so many times in the past.

Are they even indexed so they can find anything?

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Go back and read both the US Constitution (Article I Section 6) and the Maryland Constitution (Article 3 Section 18).

In short, they cannot be held criminally or for any civil action for whatever words spoken in debate. (this would probably include any discussion in and out of committee as well on and off the floor of the House and Senate while in session.)

Actually, I wasn't even thinking about an action against them for their speech, but rather an action to invalidate the statutes, and perhaps exposing the ulterior motives behind the "public" legislative history and findings. I know better than to advocate suing or prosecuting politicians for their lies on the job.

Just a note, without looking yet at the constitutional references you cited, my recollection is that the U.S. Constitution only applies to federal legislators, and Art. 1 Sec. 6 doesn't confer any speech and debate immunity or privileges on state legislators as opposed to their federal counterparts. Federalism, states rights, and all that go with it.

Still would like to know what the bums said in private.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Maybe so, but it added extra expense and hassle for a citizen to buy a gun without impeding the criminals at all. So, in that regard it was a success!

That's my thought, too. Every little hurdle or hassle deters sales.

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    To my fellow Maryland gun owners. If you think that the shellcasing program was a failure, please think again.

I am here to tell you that it was a resounding success.

For 15 years the anti-gun POS in Maryland were able to take money from our taxes to make purchasing a handgun more onerous than it had to be.

Anyone with a basic understanding of how a firearm works knows that you can easily swap out a barrel in a semi automatic handgun as well as the firing pin and with a little more effort your extractor thus completely eliminating any and all identifying marks.

But if you are really on a budget and it is a time sensitive scenario simply using a file to file down your firing pin and file your extractor will again nullify the ballistic comparison of a fired shell casing.

So in closing, yes, it was a resounding success, they screwed us for 15 years. So don't be so quick to pat yourselves on the back because they're removing this program. All good things come to an end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom