• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Just set the thermostat for 90 and sleep naked.

I miss my 50 year olf Homart boiler. No electrical anything, always-on pilot, bimetal flame sensor, if the circulator pump fried out the system was arranged for gravity circulation; hot water would go to the highest point first, then descend as it cooled. Pity that 60% of the generated heat went up the chimney.

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    Just set the thermostat for 90 and sleep naked.

I miss my 50 year olf Homart boiler. No electrical anything, always-on pilot, bimetal flame sensor, if the circulator pump fried out the system was arranged for gravity circulation; hot water would go to the highest point first, then descend as it cooled. Pity that 60% of the generated heat went up the chimney.

you still used electricity to run a transformer to open the gas valve and the thermostat

some of them were converted coal stoves - just stick a gas burner in it

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    you still used electricity to run a transformer to open the gas valve and the thermostat

some of them were converted coal stoves - just stick a gas burner in it

Some of these used a high power ("thermopile") thermocouple that could operate the gas valve without a transformer.

The once popular "floor furnaces" always used a thermopile - no electrical input whatsoever

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I don't think you'll have to stay up all night. We once lived in an OLD house w oil heat (and an ancient firebox/furnace). The ignition transformer went dead. We got by for a couple days until the replacement came in by setting the t-stat to the upper 70s and lighting it once before going to bed. By morning the house would be in the 50s but FAR from freezing pipes. We'd repeat it in the morning before heading off to work. We'd set the t-stat to a more reasonable temp once we got home and lit it a couple times until it was time to crank it back up and go to bed.

Good idea!!

They house will be cold in the morning but your pipes certainly will not freeze overnight in this weather.

Supposed to be low twenties tonight, hope your correct.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen and for trying to assist in trouble shooting. Furnace is 11 years old and never a problem. I think the person who said it is probably in the circuit board may be correct. Which means they are probably going to have to order the part.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I think the person who said it is probably in the circuit board may be correct. Which means they are probably going to have to order the part.

A lot of circuit boards are available at the local distributors for each brand, and a few have generic replacements available at local wholesalers.

Hot surface ignitors are available at both. If your furnace uses a HSI, its a prime candidate; 11 years back they were not using the better ignitor material

DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    If you have an electrode igniter, make sure the sparking side is not shorted out by a piece of debris on the electrode or the wire shorting out. Can't hurt to blow the area out with compressed air. Once saw a burnt match head blocking the pilot proving contacts an a carrier gas furnace.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Knowing now what I didn't know a week ago, this seems plausible.

Tried to get you mix and match some wiring!!!

220, 221.... Whatever it takes. :rolleyes:

Having heating issues this time of year sucks, I've been there. :o

Mr H

Banana'd
    Tried to get you mix and match some wiring!!!

220, 221.... Whatever it takes. :rolleyes:

Having heating issues this time of year sucks, I've been there. :o

I re-read, and saw there were several equally possible options, so I took it down.

Turns out, in my case, the transformer (possibly original, mid-50s vintage) had a meltdown of some sort.

Besides... if you'd seen the mess that was the wiring on the thing, you'd have run for the hills. The tech that came out spent a good 2h doing nothing but scratching his head. :lol2:

RIGGS

Apr 20, 2013
    Baldwin
    Sounds like the hsi is bad. Cheap easy fix. $15 part that my company or most others will hit ya for around $250-350. Takes 5 mins to replace

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Well, cranked the heat up to 80 before going to bed and it was hot as hell trying to get to sleep. Woke up at 6am and thought I was sleeping outside, DAMN IT WAS COLD IN HERE. Reminded me of my cold weather training in Korea back in the day.

Hope the HVAC company calls soon so I can get to work.

Again, thanks everybody for chiming in and trying to help, it is much appreciated!!!

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Pull the panel , on the control board the may be a few blade fuses . I had one pop a few years ago and caused the same problems .

Scratch

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 18, 2013
    Annapolis
    Well, cranked the heat up to 80 before going to bed and it was hot as hell trying to get to sleep. Woke up at 6am and thought I was sleeping outside, DAMN IT WAS COLD IN HERE. Reminded me of my cold weather training in Korea back in the day.

Hope the HVAC company calls soon so I can get to work.

Again, thanks everybody for chiming in and trying to help, it is much appreciated!!!

On a side note, got space heaters? I've been through your experience (why does it always happen on a weekend?) and have stocked up as a result. A couple downstairs to keep pipes warm as needed, and one in the bedroom.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    That's why I always had a spare igniter - they are a wear item and they fail at night on a weekend

takes ten minutes to replace and if you replace it and it's not fixed - it wasn't the igniter

BTW - you can't tell they are bad by looking at them

:D

As I said earlier, there was an upgrade in the material (silicon nitride, less porous and doesn't oxidize like the older silicon carbide) a few years ago, and they are much more reliable than in the past. For the minimal cost, I would still keep a spare.

As for looking at them and telling they are bad ... I can :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom