• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 11b10

Jun 15, 2010
    Union Bridge, MD
    IMO, if the rifle was so innovative they would have gotten all of the above right when it was developed.

Add the above in RED to a 2K Base Rifle and your at $3k without Optics.

Unless one is a collector or is obsessed with Bullpups one can have a bad ass D.I. AR15, a Titanium Suppressor, and NICE Glass with all of the above "issues" worked out for 3K, and parts are available everywhere.

Im not one to shun innovative things, but I don't get the hype of the Tavor. You like yours so that's whats important.

It is an Ok rifle (horrible trigger) but not for 2K worth. It has not really been in sustained combat, the 2 week exercises in Gaza vs. the years and rounds that the M-4 has done.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    It is an Ok rifle (horrible trigger) but not for 2K worth. It has not really been in sustained combat, the 2 week exercises in Gaza vs. the years and rounds that the M-4 has done.

When compared to other bullpups the trigger is not that bad. Somebody had to buy the early M4s, right? So maybe in 20 years Tavors will have a similar rep, but at that rate Maryland probably would have banned all guns including those that shoot water....

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    You Can never have enough AR,, so many calibers, barrels accessories.... they can all be so different.. Wow, I saw this thing is 8 lbs?? thought it was heavy not that much though.

dont get me wrong.. The AR is a wonderful platform. But there are some advantages to going with a bullpup design. (short, compact., 50/50 balance)this is why so may countries have adopted it.

Brits- SA80
    French- FAMAS
    Austra
    Austria, australia, malaysia, ireland, saudi Arabia etc- AUG
    Croatia- VHS
    Singapore- SAR21
    China- type 97
    Iran( some weird ar type bullpup)
    Israel- Tavor, X 95
    Russians- ASI1 and2
    finland- m82

Just to name a few. While not as graceful and fluid smooth to operate as an AR, it does have it merits when one has to fight in very tight quarters. This is urban combat or CQB... The battlefield of today

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    But it's not in 5.56.
    The AR is better suited for urban HD because the 5.56 limits over penetration. The 7.62x39 Will go through walls like a hot knife through butter.
    Verbotene beat me to it, but you COULD theoretically do a vz58 in 5.56 (availability permitting)

also, i won't argue it's a better option, just that it's a possible option

Hellrazr78

May 20, 2011
    Balt. Co.
    Variety is the spice of life. I got mine because it's different. I kinda have an against the grain kind of mentality though. There are two kinds of people in the firearms world. People who love bullpups and those that despise them. There are people who see the Tavor as functional art (me) and others that feel it looks like a dog's baloon knot. End of the day, it makes my pants move, so I'm a happy camper.

I found this review helpful. I especially like that he isn't partial towards bullpups.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    After buying an AUG A3, I will actually agree with Chad in that the Tavor is not revolutionary. The AUG A3 NATO and the Tavor are about equal in my eyes - the Tavor has better ergos, but you can make the AUG's trigger way, way better. I think the Tavor will be the better of the two once the Geissle trigger is out, albeit it'll be ~$500 more expensive than an AUG A3.

That said, I think he's a little hard on it in terms of the spare and aftermarket parts situation - this isn't an AUG with like 20 years of spare parts behind it. Give it 5 years, and I think the parts situation will be much improved. As it is, IWI US seems to be on the ball with supporting the rifles out there.

One big difference. You can still buy a Tavor as an MD resident. You cannot buy an Aug.

I wish I had done a PO on an Aug before Oct 1. :(

It will have to wait until I move out of this state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom