• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    We looked at one a couple of weeks ago at Bass Pro. My wife has it on her list. :)

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Had they been better swimmers, I'd have two M1s (Super 90) to tell you about.

Alas, they are crab food somewhere in the Chesapeake.

While they weren't great swimmers, they were awesome and ABSOLUTELY reliable shooters. Nothing cycled like them. They were wicked fast. They shot straight and true. Racked up lots of dts, deer and ducks and a couple geese.

I miss them. Shoulda paid for those damned swimming lessons...

Hope the Ethos can swim. Look forward to your report.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Had they been better swimmers, I'd have two M1s (Super 90) to tell you about.

Alas, they are crab food somewhere in the Chesapeake.

While they weren't great swimmers, they were awesome and ABSOLUTELY reliable shooters. Nothing cycled like them. They were wicked fast. They shot straight and true. Racked up lots of dts, deer and ducks and a couple geese.

I miss them. Shoulda paid for those damned swimming lessons...

Hope the Ethos can swim. Look forward to your report.

I just hope he keeps it in a case that can swim. I know I do. Case is supposed to "swim" even with my Benelli SBE in it.

So many Benellis, so little money. Right now, I am looking at the Super Vinci, Vinci Super Sport, Performance Shop Super Sport, and M4. I need to rob a bank or the kids' college funds.

I've looked at the Ethos online, but would have to look a lot harder to see how it is different than the Cordoba, M2, Vinci, etc.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    They look to be a nice shotgun, if I did not already have a Fabarm that I'm happy with I would be looking at one.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I looked at it last night, and it appears to have the same action as the SBE, Cordoba, Super Sport, etc. Think I would choose the Vinci Super Sport over it just because the gun is so much easier to take down and clean. The one area that causes me trouble with the SBE is the buffer tube. Powder residue accumulates in that tube and slows down the action. Then again, powder used in clays loads usually burns a lot better than the slower burning powder used in waterfowl loads. I took apart the buffer tube on my 391 this summer after thousands of shells have gone through it, and there was very little powder residue in the tube.

Would probably still opt for the Vinci, but that Ethos will be extremely reliable and smooth, just like my SBE has been for the past 16 years.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Pinecone, if you are looking for a gun for your wife you may want to look at the new Syren line from Guerini/Fabarm. Not just bling, they are designed to fit a women. Come in both Semi's and O/U's.
    http://syrenusa.com/shotguns-for-women/

She just likes the feel of the Ethos.

And we know how to fit shotguns to women. She has been shooting a Browning 325 fit to her for some 20 years. :)

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Bring this back to the top with an observation, got to shoot my brothers Benelli sporting gun today. Broke the birds and handled vey well, the one thing I noticed was it had considerably more recoil than my Fabarm with the same loads, guess thats the difference between recoil operated and gas operated.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Bring this back to the top with an observation, got to shoot my brothers Benelli sporting gun today. Broke the birds and handled vey well, the one thing I noticed was it had considerably more recoil than my Fabarm with the same loads, guess thats the difference between recoil operated and gas operated.

Any chance you know the actual weight of the guns? Either of them have recoil dampening devices on them? It might not just be a difference between inertia driven versus gas operated. A gun can have more perceived recoil just by changing the geometry of the gun. A poorly fitting gun can kick like a mule.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Any chance you know the actual weight of the guns? Either of them have recoil dampening devices on them? It might not just be a difference between inertia driven versus gas operated. A gun can have more perceived recoil just by changing the geometry of the gun. A poorly fitting gun can kick like a mule.

Take a look at the Ethos, it has quite a nice (from the reviews) dampening device on it.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD

The Fabarm weighs more and does come with recoil reduction built in, 1 oz loads have literally zero recoil. That is some of the difference I'm sure.
    However he also has a Beretta A400 Sporting that weighs close to the same as the Benelli that also recoils less and the A400 has no recoil reduction device.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    The Fabarm weighs more and does come with recoil reduction built in, 1 oz loads have literally zero recoil. That is some of the difference I'm sure.
    However he also has a Beretta A400 Sporting that weighs close to the same as the Benelli that also recoils less and the A400 has no recoil reduction device.

Augie,

You sure that the A400 did not have a recoil reduction device in the stock? From what I have been reading, a lot of them do.

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/a400-xplor-unico/

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/a400-xcel/

Those are the two that I have looked at and am mainly interested in and both of them have a hydraulic shock absorber in the stock.

With that said, Benelli should have something like it too. I put a mercury recoil reducer in the stock of my SBE. My Beretta 391 Teknys came with the recoil reducer in the stock.

Bottom line, if the felt recoil from the Benelli is more than the Fabarm or the Beretta, then Benelli needs to do something.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    His Beretta is the one without the Kick Off, you can get them either way, problem with ones that have Kick Off is it limits length of pull adjustments.
    He likes his Benelli and does well with it, just noticed that it has more recoil than his other auto's.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    His Beretta is the one without the Kick Off, you can get them either way, problem with ones that have Kick Off is it limits length of pull adjustments.
    He likes his Benelli and does well with it, just noticed that it has more recoil than his other auto's.

Which Benelli is he shooting? I have been debating between the Performance Shop Super Sport that is like my SBE in action and the Vinci Super Sport, which is a different action.

The thing that sucks about guns is that a test drive is extremely rare.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    http://www.benelliusa.com/legacy-sport-and-sport-ii-shotguns

This is the one, basically a SS with a wood stock, he did not like the carbon fiber look. I liked the way it handled and I crushed the birds with it. I'm kind of looking for a low rib sporting semi-auto to compare with my high rib Fabarm, will probably look at one of the new low rib Fabarm's also, maybe a Beretta but I don't like the blue receiver or the extra grain fake wood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom