• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firefighter_21701

Aug 19, 2012
    FLORIDA
    Narrowed it down to a few possible but somehow my mind keeps saying ejector spring maybe bad. The brass is easily rammed out with a dowel rod. But upon examination it looks as though where the ejector pulled on it is ripped off leaving it flat on one side. The ideas I've come up with ( with brain storming with a buddy) are over gassing, wrong buffer and spring, bad gas seals and possibly bad ejector spring and maybe need to hone the chamber out. I stopped firing after two rounds cause it was literally ruining the follow up shot buy jamming a live round between the chamber wall and The unejected brass. it seems like it wants to cycle fine just not eject. Any advise would be helpful. If it helps the lower is spikes tactical the upper is an alpha sports laser etched forged upper barrel is a 16" 5.56 Nato Govt Profile Barrel 1:7 sold by alpha sports. Bolt carrier and bolt are an AIM AR/M16 .223/5.56 9310 MPI BDG Bolt Carrier Group.

Attachments

• IMAG0428.jpg
      IMAG0428.jpg
      35.1 KB · Views: 326

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Had the same issue with a piston upper and silver bear ammo. Got it to behave better with a heavier buffer (T3) and a Wolffe XP action spring, but it'd still occasionally tear the rim and leave an empty stuck in the chamber using silver bear.

Best bet, try different ammo first. It's likely over-gassed, if it tears the rim off of known quality ammo, time for an adjustable gas block.

firefighter_21701

Aug 19, 2012
    FLORIDA
    Sorry got my terms wrong I'm sitting at a shipper waiting to get my trailer loaded and the bastards just left for break. Been here 5 hours already and am aggravated. Thanks I'll have to try the different ammo when I get back home in July to test the theory.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    PPU brass is soft, in 5.56 and .308 variety. Don't bother with Sellier & Bellot for diagnosis, I've noticed they tend to run a bit on the warm side, which won't help an over-gassed rifle.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Once the over-gassing is handled, ideally there should be no issues with it reliably running ANY type of ammo - brass, steel, cheap or high-dollar.

If you end up doing an adjustable gas block, there's going to be a little fine-tuning. But if you pick and stick with one brand/load, the tuning will be minimal.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    As said, looks way overgassed. Most direct fix is adjustable gas. Heavier buffers and springs can help some but the heavier ones will cost the same as a good SLR rifleworks adjustable gas block.

The barrel mfg likely just went way too big on the gas port.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    As an update:

I spoke with the OP today and the shop he took it to, ran some XM193 through it and says it functions fine. No issues with their tests. When he gets a chance, he will do some range time and then report back on his experiences with a different ammo.

firefighter_21701

Aug 19, 2012
    FLORIDA
    Finally got it back. Only took me a bit of time. They claim to have fired Prvi Partizan, wolf. Xm193 and m855. Plan on taking it to the range today with the prvi partisan and some xm193 I picked up. They claim not one failure recreated but did find a slight hoping mark inside the chamber. They claim it could be bad ammo guess I'll find out.

firefighter_21701

Aug 19, 2012
    FLORIDA
    I know it's been a long time since this post was updated as is such since I don't get on here much anymore. But for those that commented I'd like to thank you for your insights once again. Also wanted to say that it took replacing the whole upper receiver ( built a new one) to get it working properly. The shop that did my original upper screwed it up big-time. Rockset in the handguard screws and original gasblock setscrews. Had it taken apart it didn't have any anti corrosion on the barrel thread two spacers in it and wasn't tightened down properly. Went to reassemble and it took 5 spacers to get the right position for the barrelnut. Decided it would be safer to build a new one than take a chance on firing the original. Again thank you everyone that commented. Now all that's left is to sight the 4 year build in. .

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom