Kitchen knives- any local cutlery shops worth a look?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    I'm in the market for some mid-grade kitchen knives. It's something I prefer to buy in person so I can fondle them first to make sure it's a good fit. Are there any local shops (other than BB&B) that carry decent knives?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Seems like a lot of the Amish/Mennonite places sell these:

http://www.radacutlery.com

Don't really know anything about them other than they are USA made.

We got into the Global knives....talk about expensive. :shocking:

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    We looked into Globals but my wife didn't care for them. We've got a set of two man Henkels now but she hasn't been too careful with them so they're a bit beat up.

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    The wife gave me a 3 piece set of Wusthof kitchen knives for my birthday. Good Lord are those things nice! The first set of quality knives that I've owned and I can say they sure make a difference when you're slicing and dicing. A bit pricey though.

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    The wife gave me a 3 piece set of Wusthof kitchen knives for my birthday. Good Lord are those things nice! The first set of quality knives that I've owned and I can say they sure make a difference when you're slicing and dicing. A bit pricey though.

I'm so disappointed with my wusthof know I must have got a terrible one that slipped through qc. My brother bought me their chefs knife as a present and it sucks unfortunately. He felt bad and took it to get professionally sharpened and that helped but it's not worth over $100 though.

My shun knife on the other hand is scary sharp and slices through stuff with no effort. My future kitchen knives will most likely be all shun, expensive but very nice imo.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    I'm in the market for some mid-grade kitchen knives. It's something I prefer to buy in person so I can fondle them first to make sure it's a good fit. Are there any local shops (other than BB&B) that carry decent knives?

OP, what would you define as "local"? What is local for me might be 100 miles away from you.

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    30-50 miles away from Baltimore would be the max. Otherwise I'd buy online.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    You can fondle knives at Williams-Sonoma. There is one in Annapolis and I am sure there are others. I have started "collecting" some good kitchen knives. I wanted to work on a whole set of Global Sai, but I went to return one of the knives I got for xmas and ended up with a Shun and that feels really good in my hand. Global's regular line is more toward the midrange, I guess. Though mid-range is a relative term. Knives are really a kind of personal thing like coffee, wine or speakers.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    I've got a nice set of Wusthof Classics. They are high quality and I would imagine they'll last a lifetime. We also have some pampered Chef knives (my wife became a pampered chef consultant after we had the Wusthof Classics) the PC knives are also very high quality and she is still a consultant if you are interested in a set of them. PM me for details if you would like.

hutchinsonkw

Dec 18, 2012
    Central Md
    Edgeworks in Frederick - good for fondling all kindsa knives...

I second them. It is a Maby 50 miles from Baltimore but worth it. The owner is an awesome guy and will help you find whatever you need. Plus his prices are very fair. I paid only $2-3 more than amazon for my last knife from there and got to choose from the two he had in stock.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    My 2 cents is going small or going custom!!!

A place like Chef Knives To Go may be a good option for actually buying. Etsy may even be useful. Mainstream brands like Wustoff, Shun, Global, etc. are going to be the heart of most stores. The problem is they are often too thick and use steels that aren't ideal. For example, Wustoffs are great for a thick, heavy, durable knife when you are cutting bones or something frozen, but they aren't ideal for fine cutting or edge retention. You often pay a lot for bigger brand names. EdgeWorks has some pretty good stuff tho. Sonoma and Williams have nice selections of the nicer mainstream brands, but again don't have the smaller brands that often cost less and perform better.

My own experiences have led me to avoiding mainstream brands and going for small, or even custom, makers. Custom chef knives are quite affordable, and much better than anything mainstream.

I also adhere to the concept of fewer nice knives than a block of mediocre ones. I only use a 9 inch laser, a paring knife, and a serrated bread/tomato knife to cook. I use my laser and paring knife for 99.9% of the work. So I put money in them rather weird knives I will never use. A single 9 inch chef's knife is really the workhorse of the kitchen.

For chef knives, I think carbon steels are going to be the best bet for affordable + capable, unless someone specifically wants something exotic which will drive up price. I love my Richmond Addict Gyuto in 52100 carbon (similar to 1095). It was cheaper than my Shun, but run circles around my Wustof, Global, and Shun with a thinner angle, thinner blade, with better edge retention, and with less edge deformation. My Addict is 61 HRC and has zero issues with chipping. 52100 is tough as nails, even at higher hardness levels unlike what many mainstream brands are doing.

If you find a custom maker you like, a chef's knife in 1095C/52100 is going to impress and be very affordable. It's worth every penny. It will run circles around anything you find in a store. It will be 100% more awesome as it is a custom piece made for you. It will fit you better. There are custom knifemakers on this forum even.

While not fancy looking, a hard-core performer is the Kikuichi Elite Carbon Gyuto...it uses a steel similar to 52100 and is a very popular model in commercial kitchens.

I've also come to like paring knives with modified wharncliffe blades as I think they give better control and they cut much better than other blade shapes with less force. One of my favorites is the Tojiro.
    http://www.amazon.com/Tojiro-DP-3-5-inch-Paring-Knife/dp/B000UAQOSW/ref=pd_sbs_k_6

Whatever you go with, get a good maple cutting board (and a composite for meat). It will dramatically extend the life of the blade and the cutting board will last decades.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    They aren't pretty, at least the ones I have, but it is what lots of kitchens and butchers use around the area. They do a great job at butchering and food prep. 3rd/4th generation family business.

Martello Knife Service Inc.
    (410) 536-7110
    1710 Sulphur Spring Rd
    Halethorpe, MD 21227

cb51

I'll throw another vote in for Edgeworks in Frederick. Good folks who own/operate it.

I've settled down to nothing but the Victorinox/Forschner kitchen knives. Good quality stainless steel blades and a very reasonable price for the quality that you get.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I've settled down to nothing but the Victorinox/Forschner kitchen knives. Good quality stainless steel blades and a very reasonable price for the quality that you get.

My kitchen knife collection is divided between Wusthof Grand Prix and Victorinox/Forschner with the Fibrox handles. When I decided to acquire some high-quality knives, I bought Wusthof for the "core" knives -- 10" chef's knife, 11" bread knife, 7" santoku and a 6" utility knife. Then, based on online reviews, including America's Test Kitchen, I bought Victorinox/Forschner for the second line knives, a 12" slicer, a heavy cleaver and a 6" flexible boning knife.

I like my Wusthof knives. They have the heft of a good full-tang knife, take a really keen edge and are comfortable to use. The Victorinox knives are stamped, rather than full tang, so they don't have the same heft. I have to admit that I like the texture of the Fibrox handles even better than the smoother finish of the Wusthof blades. There's no doubt, that on a performance per dollar level, the Victorinox knives are a tremendous bargain.

JoeR

MachtSchnell

Jul 30, 2012
    Carroll County
    Edgeworks in Frederick - good for fondling all kindsa knives...

I second that. Only been there once, but it's a nice place with plenty of brands there.

As for kitchen blades, Spyderco has the new utility k04s serrated, and k04p plain.
    They also have a new line of their Seto knives, but they're only available through the SFO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom