Of all the modern handguns, why trust your life with a 1911?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I agree. YOU have to decide what is reliable to YOU. And what you are comfortable with.

I have had a number of 1911s. Mostly Colt. All have been very reliable. My original Mark IV Series 70 Government Model had some issues with the short nosed Lee 190 gr SWC bullet. I polished the feed ramp and the barrel and it was fine.

All the others have been fine out of the box. And my Gold Cup, which has been Wilson tuned, is fine, no issues.

My ParaOrdnance was picky for the first 200 rounds. But after that, no problems. Even during a 3 day course firing 1500 rounds. And I only cleaned it once a year, shooting a LOT (USPSA).

But no matter what, I would not rely on a pistol I had not fired at least 200 rounds through to make ME feel comfortable about its functioning.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And Mrs Biggfoot dislikes bottomfeeders catagorically , but loves S&W DA revolvers and Colt D frames. And I enthuasiastically nod my head and say yes dear. The late FIL enjoyed his 1911s as target guns in his later years , but in WWII put S&W Victory Mdl to active use , and his go to HD gun was M19. Biggfootette is predisposed to S&W .38s , but I'm exposing her both ways to further her education. Kind of double genetic oh her part. [ And I have prequently posted on the continued viability of revolvers , and use them +/- 50% ]

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Love my 1911 (actually, a Colt 1991) and it has never failed me.
    It isn't a 'defensive piece' per-se (I punch paper), but if called upon, I would not hesitate to press it into service.

Having said that, all of my other favorites are all chambered in 9mm, and I like them equally well.
    The M&P9 is an awesome polymer rig. The Sig Mk25 has been through a defensive pistol class with me and never hiccuped.
    One steel and one polymer, I trust them both.

But if they were all laid before me, and I needed *one* to save my life... it would be an IWI Baby Eagle in 9mm.
    The Israelis do not build crap. Uzi, Tavor, or Eagle/Jericho... you can bet your life on all of them.

The Baby eagle is a great gun, but frankly, the CZ-75 in it's original configuration from it's original creators is a better weapon.

The Israelis do not build crap, but the Czechs don't either, and they have a history of weapons innovation and quality craftsmanship that has gone back literally centuries

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Smith & Wesson 627 Pro
    178014_01_lg.jpg
    You can't do that - you need at least 30 rounds in any home defense situation - a mag in the pistol and one to swap in when the shooting really starts to get intense. ;)

I'm kidding, of course - my HD gun would probably be my S&W .44 mag but it's too big to fit in my bedside safe. :D

thai

May 8, 2013
    I trust my training out of the box. Gimme any pistol, I'm bringing the fight to you and fighting through it.

Never in my zillion years have I ever had any pistol not fire on the first shot, ever. This is the critical shot. I like these odds.
    In the rare few times I have ever experienced a malfunction, is during numerous shots and when the pistol is cycling over and over.
    Get pistols you want. Shoot them.

My Sig TTT had a "standard" problem? of some rough feeding in the beginning. I decided to not work through all that and instead gave it to Chad and he smoothed everything out.
    It's wonderful. I think I have actually cleaned it once in 2k plus rounds.
    I think the trigger is now a very crisp 3 pounds maybe :) My favorite shooter.

My Sig TTT also had the ftf issue. I researched the problem and found out at the time most Sig 1911 were experiencing this issue. I sent it back to Sig and got it back in a couple weeks. They didn't say what they did to it, but I included an article that said a lot of people had this issue with Sigs 1911 and they had the feed ramp polished to fix it. So I imagine that is what they did. But it still once in awhile still exhibit the same issues but with less frequency. This was 8 years ago and I haven't shot much since then. Not even yearly. Until 2013 and Sandy Hook and MOM fixed all that. I am trying to figure out what the issues are now with it. Ammo, hollow points, magazines (Novak 8 rnds was supplied), or maybe more polishing is required.

The gun is very tight and it shoot very accurately, I will keep it as I never sell any of my guns and I dont trust used so I always purchase new. With this much invested I like to make it work. I will spend more time with it.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The Baby eagle is a great gun, but frankly, the CZ-75 in it's original configuration from it's original creators is a better weapon.

The Israelis do not build crap, but the Czechs don't either, and they have a history of weapons innovation and quality craftsmanship that has gone back literally centuries

My CZ-75 has yet to choke on any ammo fed, and I've shot everything from Wolf 9mm to premium heavy sub-sonics. It's my backup 3-gun pistol and my main IDPA gun.

My Sig TTT also had the ftf issue. I researched the problem and found out at the time most Sig 1911 were experiencing this issue. I sent it back to Sig and got it back in a couple weeks. They didn't say what they did to it, but I included an article that said a lot of people had this issue with Sigs 1911 and they had the feed ramp polished to fix it. So I imagine that is what they did. But it still once in awhile still exhibit the same issues but with less frequency. This was 8 years ago and I haven't shot much since then. Not even yearly. Until 2013 and Sandy Hook and MOM fixed all that. I am trying to figure out what the issues are now with it. Ammo, hollow points, magazines (Novak 8 rnds was supplied), or maybe more polishing is required.

The gun is very tight and it shoot very accurately, I will keep it as I never sell any of my guns and I dont trust used so I always purchase new. With this much invested I like to make it work. I will spend more time with it.

How many rounds have you put through it? Back in the day, 500 rounds minimum to get everything humming right and it worked perfectly.

BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    Current production 1911s don't hold a true military spec 1911 the govt issued unless you get one custom built.

What version of the 1911 do you consider the "military spec" 1911?

What are current production models lacking compared with it?

thai

May 8, 2013
    Jimbob,
    I imagine over the 8 years I put very close to 1000 rounds through it. Most of that occurs post Sig warranty work. I also recall using mostly Winchester white box ammo.

Any advice regarding magazines? I have only been using the 8 rnds capacity Novaks that was supplied with the gun. It appears the cartridges gets stripped out of the magazine at a high angle and when it hits the feed ramps the bullet hits the top of the barrel just before the chamber.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Jimbob,
    I imagine over the 8 years I put very close to 1000 rounds through it. Most of that occurs post Sig warranty work. I also recall using mostly Winchester white box ammo.

Any advice regarding magazines? I have only been using the 8 rnds capacity Novaks that was supplied with the gun. It appears the cartridges gets stripped out of the magazine at a high angle and when it hits the feed ramps the bullet hits the top of the barrel just before the chamber.

Chip McCormick Power Mag 8 round magazine with the standard (.350") bumper

Tripp Industries Cobra Mag, A8-MG

Wilson ETM

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011

ANY CZ, hand gun or rifle is golden in my book. Too bad they are not as readily available. Col. Cooper was a big fan of the CZ 75.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Jimbob,

I had this exact problem with my RIA 1911 and the magazine it came with. That mag is now in a landfill.

Chip McCormick Power Mag 8 round magazine with the standard (.350") bumper

Tripp Industries Cobra Mag, A8-MG

Wilson ETM

I've had better performance with the Wilson and Chip McCormick mags in my 1911s, too.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I agree, Wilson or McCormick mags.

But mine run fine with Colt mags also.

thai

May 8, 2013
    Thank you Gents,
    I shall give it a go with Wilson or McCormick mags, and see if I can make this duck into and eagle!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thank you Gents,
    I shall give it a go with Wilson or McCormick mags, and see if I can make this duck into and eagle!

My experience says otherwise. Get Tripp Mags.

CMC Mags can ding the crap out of your feed ramp on the frame with the pointed steel followers.

WC Mags have really went downhill in the past several years. Binding and crappy made followers are a common issue in my experience.

I work on guns professionally so take my advice or leave it. I don't benefit from the choices you make, just trying to help you avoid problems.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    My experience says otherwise. Get Tripp Mags.

CMC Mags can ding the crap out of your feed ramp on the frame with the pointed steel followers.

WC Mags have really went downhill in the past several years. Binding and crappy made followers are a common issue in my experience.

I work on guns professionally so take my advice or leave it. I don't benefit from the choices you make, just trying to help you avoid problems.

Any experience with Wolff mags? Supposedly ACT tubes and Wolff springs and followers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom