• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Here in Balto Co. it is no problem shooting arrows in the backyard, just as long as you do not endanger the public. I shoot a bag target on a frame backed up against the house. If one goes wild, it will hit brick. Check with your local police.

Edit to correct myself. It is illegal to fire a crossbow, pistol, air pistol, gas propelled pistol, rifle, air rifle, gas propelled rifle or shotgun within the metro area of Baltimore County. A bow is not listed so it is legal. Sorry for the bad info.

Last edited:

Grampa G

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2010
    Washington Co.
    Thread from the dead. My buddy just sent me a pic of a big 8pt that is in his yard every day. He lives in Jarretsville on 1.17 acres. He does have houses on both sides but his property is way more deep than wide. Would it be legal to shoot this buck with a crossbow as long as it was on his property and I had his permission?

You can if you have permission from all homeowners who live within 150 yrds of where you intend to hunt, not just your buddies, unless your in Frederick or Carroll County. Here is the state regulation:

Md. NATURAL RESOURCES Code Ann. § 10-410 (2013)

§ 10-410. Restrictions on hunting wildlife generally:

(g) Shooting or disturbing wildlife within safety zones. --

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person, other than the owner or occupant, while hunting for any wild bird or mammal may not shoot or discharge any firearm or other deadly weapon within 150 yards, known as the "safety zone," of a dwelling house, residence, church, or other building or camp occupied by human beings, or shoot at any wild bird or mammal while it is within this area, without the specific advance permission of the owner or occupant.

(2) For archery hunters in Carroll County or Frederick County, the safety zone described in paragraph (1) of this subsection extends for 50 yards from a dwelling house, residence, church, or any other building or camp occupied by human beings.

(3) During any open hunting season, a person, other than the owner or occupant, may not hunt or chase willfully any wild bird or mammal within the safety zone without the specific advance permission of the owner or occupant.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Edit to correct myself. It is illegal to fire a crossbow, pistol, air pistol, gas propelled pistol, rifle, air rifle, gas propelled rifle or shotgun within the metro area of Baltimore County. A bow is not listed so it is legal. Sorry for the bad info.
    The police told me air guns are also no problem as long as no one is endangered by your shooting. Have a good backstop, etc.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    If you have woods behind you then yes, but if you have other neighbors that surround yoru yard then no. If its for your kid and its not a compund or something just put the target towards your house and shoot. with a back stop of course. I shot and shoot at my moms house and its wooded. I just put the target against a tree or against this his and shoot at 30 yards

jomill613

Jun 13, 2012
    Bowie
    Ridiculous. I didn't have any problem with shooting my bow in Pennsylvania, but here in Maryland...you need a permit...$$$...such a racket.

Jesse135

Sep 12, 2016
    I live in Harford county in the constant branch area and my neighbor and his teenage son uses a compound bow for target practice into a 20" X 20" box in their back yard. My wife has tried to tell them multiple times it was illegal to do so because we have homes separated by no more than 25 yards in all directions. After a pissing contest we called the HCSO to attend to the matter. After speaking with our neighbors for about 15 minutes the officer informed us that: It wasn't all that bad because of the downward firing angle and that a large plywood backstop would be perfectly safe. Oh, and the homeowner says he never misses. My reply was: First a submissive giggle. Then I sheepishly informed him my wife and I are both Marine vets. And during my time in the corps I was a small arms instructor and a member of the Marine Corps Shooting Team. Though I didn't say I never miss, because even experienced marksmen do miss. Though most of my misses were from miscalculated 500 yard line windage adjustments using only range flags to guesstimate. Open sight weapon of course. Now if I really wanted to say something that would, or should impress the nice officer and my one eyed neighbor(yes, one eyed) is that I was extremely satisfied with myself that I came in Fourth place in a Interservice open sight 1000 yard shoot. But I still miss. And I do miss those days. BUT!!!
    I'm satisfied with both their judgements... I guess. Oh, and I still shoot only at gun range's

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Last I checked, and 8'x8' plywood backstop is all that is required for archery practice in "back yard" practice. I shoot in my back yard relying on a dirt berm-big maple trees-a 6' cedar fence-neighbor's 8'x12' shed.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I dont know of any laws regarding archery. As long as your are at a safe distance shooting at a safe area with a safe backstop i wouldnt worry. Call DNR but im 99.9% sure there is no distance laws.

This ^^^ for target practice (caveat: check your local ordinances)

The 150 yards applies to Hunting in Charles county

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom