Looking for some input on my website and training needs...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • britishjohnhall

I am looking for some input from people seeking training or who have taken training in the past...

I am in the throws of expanding and improving my training and website so I'm looking for some input in the following ways...

TRAINING....

1. What types of firearms training are you seeking?

2. If you had the choice of training afternoon/evening vs weekends what would you choose?

3. Have you had any bad experiences training? what made them a bad experience?

4. If you take a class related to firearms training, are you expecting to do live fire? or would you be content with class room time and simulated training, as long as it was useful to you?

5. In your opinion, what are the qualities that you look for in a firearms training instructor/company?

MY WEBSITE....

www.ottraining.net

Please take a minute to visit my website and let me know what is good about it, and what is confusing. Imagine you want to sign up for a class, or are looking for information and let me know what you think.

Thank you for your input! REMEMBER I offer 10% off for any MD shooter, and I also offer incentives for referrals!

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    The website isn't bad, but you have too many photos/promotions/etc getting in the way. It's a bit busy. Make the message stupid simple and sell yourself first and foremost. It's not about the classes, it's about you. Good teachers are hard to come by, they are rarer than good shooters. What makes you good at what you do? Sell that. I know the temptation is to ask what do you guys want... that's what I'll offer... but you need to follow your heart and do what you do best.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Well, for starters, " Providing Firearms Training to Southern Maryland and surounding areas. " Surrounding is spelled wrong. I think the "about us", meaning "you", could use a little attention to grammar and punctuation. Maybe re-work it a bit.

I think I would have someone proof read your whole site to fix some of that. Nit picky? Not really. Attention to detail needs to be perfect, especially when it comes to someone learning to shoot from that person. It's like someone dressed in a real nice suit but has dirty, un shined shoes.

Do you have any other instructors who help? Then add them to the "about us". If not, and you are solely it, I think it is weird to call yourself "us". :) I think it is ok to be an "about me".

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    On the home page - Get rid of the pictures on the top

On the home and upcoming classes pages your signup registration links go to the NRA to sign up....get rid of that and post your own training schedule without leaving your page. Add a form that people can sign up for with a direct interface to you! Also on the upcoming classes page you do not need all that wordy crap at the top. Let them schedule a class and pay online using PayPal/credit card. Yes, add that to your site and integrate it. I've integrated Paypal for our Garrison Rifle & Revolver Club website...it isn't that hard to do.

I would try to figure out a better way to combine the upcoming class signup with a link to the description of the course instead of making the class descriptions a separate page.

On your about us page. I would get rid of all the wordy crap that makes you look young. Just say something like you were a former Air Training Corps Flight Sargent and list your certifications without mentioning that you just got them.

I would recommend setting up a newsletter (i.e., mailchimp) and integrating a signup page on your website. That way people who may not be interested in what you offer today can still be informed of your future training schedule. Send out a newsletter to those signed up every 1 to 3 months.

Do you have the maximum amount of insurance offered by the NRA for instructors? Are you incorporated?

Also, you need to get your site categorized...it doesn't show up on a lot computers because many companies and government agencies with firewalls will not allow connections to uncategorized websites.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Need to update the FAQ , specifically the one about beyond basic training. I would think the Progressive Pistol Training would also be such.

If you were retired from 20yrs of LE/ Mil Instructing that would be a bragging point. 2yrs as NRA basic Instructor not so much. At this point just list Certifications.

Group/ Corperate Range Days are alluded to , but no details.

For Prog Pistol special equipment needed , "handgun manual" ? What's this ? The litter from a new purchase ? Some other training or refrence work ?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Misspelled words all over the place. I can't list everything.
    "Licence" spelled just three lines just above license on the HQL info page.
    "MDSP HQL Requirments"
    "(Its not a test, just an assesment)"

Honestly, this alone would keep me from attending anything.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If you were retired from 20yrs of LE/ Mil Instructing that would be a bragging point. 2yrs as NRA basic Instructor not so much. At this point just list Certifications./QUOTE]

And I would add that what you did at the age of 13 sooo long ago has no real relevance to today instruction-wise. I wouldn't consider that any measurable experience.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Short bio.

Move the graphics down below the pics and add a small description below each sub-title might help.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Now of course , I'm not saying only law enforcement or mil Instructors are good instructors. Or even automatically good instructors. I've known plenty of LE Instructors who couldn't instruct their way out of a wet paper bag. And know plain 'ol civillians who are great shooters and great instructors.

But as far as advertising trainers who don't yet have a personal reputation , LE/ Mil experience gives the apearence of credibility.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Now of course , I'm not saying only law enforcement or mil Instructors are good instructors. Or even automatically good instructors. I've known plenty of LE Instructors who couldn't instruct their way out of a wet paper bag. And know plain 'ol civillians who are great shooters and great instructors.

But as far as advertising trainers who don't yet have a personal reputation , LE/ Mil experience gives the apearence of credibility.

He'll get me on board when I retire this year and boost attendance :-) LOL

britishjohnhall

Thank you for the input so far!

I have made some changes based on input I have already received. Some changes will take a little longer to implement.

The website editor I use (wix.com) doesn't seem to have any from of spell check that I can find. While I was careful with this when I started the website, I have made several changes over the years, and have become lazy with spelling. I will be more careful, and get someone else to proof read the entire site from time to time. Details do matter.
    Being a relatively new instructor my resume can only grow. There isn't much I can do about this in the short term.
    I will be working on improving the upcoming classes page (probably a calendar format.)

KEEP IT COMIN, I CAN HANDLE IT! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom