• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    looking to buy the kit very soon just figured i'd ask if anyone here in the baltimore county region has the essential tools (obviously willing to pay$$$) or can recommend a gun shop that converts into 922r compliant configuration. PM me or comment thanks.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    pretty simple to do. Really just need a dremel tool. I did not do the bullet guide. I just use the saiga magazines. I found a video online and did mine. The hardest part was getting the trigger spring in place.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    What exactly do you need to do?

If you're trying to replace a trunnion, barrel or receiver, you definitely need some serious tools and know-how. But I've converted the VEPR 12 to 922r (replaced trigger, sear, hammer, gas piston, recoil spring) with only a punch, small hammer and flat-head screwdriver. Took me all of an hour, including a complete clean/lube.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Easy to do yourself. New trigger guard, Tapco G2 trigger, PG grip and screw. TG rivets can actually be set by hand but it's easier with a press and jig. S-12 hammer is a little different either use the original or modify the US version. Requires some relief for the center support.

Get a decent solid stock like a K-VAR or Arsenal USA (Texas) and shave 0.5mm off either side and usually the bottom for the slightly thicker receiver.

Front end, I like the K-VAR offering for the handguard which is drop-in and similar in design to the official thing... but you have lots of choices with rails, etc.

Welding up the receiver holes: just use plugs or make friends with a muffler guy who can make quick, neat work of it.

Mags: KeepShooting had great clones of factory mags. Don't know if they still do but I have extras, PM me.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I cannot overstress my recommendation to visit the Saiga 12 forum. There is a lot of really good information there. It helped me through four conversions...and I am not a pro.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    No drill press required. A hand drill is great, and a Dremel works well, too. Even if you don't do any of the work yourself, you will get a wealth of ideas. There are a lot of options, and cruising the site can help you make some choices.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    You can do this. Seriously. There are things I will pay dearly to have someone else smith/build, but modding a Saiga isn't one of them. Watch the Youtube tuts... is very easy. No need for a shop press, or a drill press. Just simple hand tools.

The biggest PITA is getting through the spot weld to remove the factory trigger guard. Everything else is cake.

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    You can do this. Seriously. There are things I will pay dearly to have someone else smith/build, but modding a Saiga isn't one of them. Watch the Youtube tuts... is very easy. No need for a shop press, or a drill press. Just simple hand tools.

The biggest PITA is getting through the spot weld to remove the factory trigger guard. Everything else is cake.

we'll see thanks for the encouragement :thumbsup:

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    002.jpg officially have the essentials but it's looking bleak on my part this isn't another Ar Lower Task there's more to it...if no one here wishes not to help out $$$ i'm just going to get it done by Engage Armament!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom