7.62 x 54r semi auto rifles still legal in MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Curious are there any we can still buy?

Thanks

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    SVT-40, Russian Tigr, Soviet SVD (not the Chinese one), semi auto PKM, semi auto SG43, semi auto Maxim PM 1910, and probably a few more I'm forgetting.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    a lot of choices. Anyone have any experiences with any one of these?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    a lot of choices. Anyone have any experiences with any one of these?

Don't get the SVT-40 if you want a shooter. They're not very reliable once the gas system rusts up. They're not very reliable even with matching mags.

A Tigr is not cheap. I think they go for $3k or so now. An actual Soviet military SVD is even more expensive. I've seen a few on Gunbroker and they all went for five digit prices.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I've had an SVT40. As stated, not a shooter. Marginally ok for their day but antiquated junk by todays standards. Don't get me wrong....IF you have a good one, it's fine for a range trip now and then. But for serious lots of rounds down range use, you will be disappointed. There is a reason I don't have one anymore!

As for the SVD, I only have a Chinese one but all comments about it apply to both the Russian Tigr and Soviet/Russian SVD. WONDERFUL rifles. They are like AK's...rock solid reliable and built to last for tens of thousands of rounds. I wouldn't sell mine for anything less than an amount I could retire on.

I would be 100% confident in buying either a PSL (so long as it was built by Romanians on a Romanian receiver) or a semi auto PKM (so long as it was built by MarColMar) but I have never owned or shot either.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    PSLs and VEPRs are your go-to options. Both have "whippy" barrels that tend to string when they warm up.

I have no experience with a sporter SVD, AKA a TIGR, but that's as close to a traditional Russian sniper as you can get. Internals are very differen than PSL or VEPR, which are based on the AK action.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    PSLs and VEPRs are your go-to options. Both have "whippy" barrels that tend to string when they warm up.

I have no experience with a sporter SVD, AKA a TIGR, but that's as close to a traditional Russian sniper as you can get. Internals are very differen than PSL or VEPR, which are based on the AK action.

Does Duffy's have any PSL's in stock for sale? I know of no other dealer in MD willing to sell or transfer a PSL.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I have a "friend" that has a VEPR in transfer limbo with an IP. They are currently trying to make a definitive determination as to the legality of competing the transfer.

I, for one, hope the VEPRs are back in play. WRT the x54r models, the mags are IMO a bit flimsy and $$$. Fun guns though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Big Dog has a few belt fed semi auto rifles in 7.62 x 54r that I believe are MD legal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom