Any IP's have interest in a purchase of a private collection?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glock9mm

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2011
    Ceciltucky!
    Wow...sorry to hear you have to sell most of your collection. But, you gotta do what you gotta do to look out for your family first and foremost.
    Good luck!

cestrella13

Cosmoline Dreams
    Mar 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Yellow Sled, I have a lot of respect for a man who does what he has to for his family. Good luck on selling your collection as a whole; I hope it works out.

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    If you're in such a position that you need to sell the collection to make ends meet, why in the world would you take a huge hit in the amount of money you're trying to get out of it? Selling stuff on Gunbroker is super easy. The only PIA can be finding packaging. UPS makes shipping painless.

I have used GB a number of times, and I would estimate that I got about 90%of the value of the item once everything was factored out (gunbroker fees, packaging, tape, gas to UPS, time invested, etc.).

Good Luck.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    That's a lot of guns to sell individually but you could sell 1/3 to 1/2 of them for the same money and keep the others or sell them at your convenience and double or triple your money .

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    I have used GB a number of times, and I would estimate that I got about 90%of the value of the item once everything was factored out (gunbroker fees, packaging, tape, gas to UPS, time invested, etc.).

Good Luck.

The time investment alone in packaging up everything is pretty intense, let alone listing it all for sale.

ALso, it is sometimes desirable to sell as a lot because there may be a few things that might not necessarily sell very fast if you broke the lot up. Selling as a lot allows you to liquidate everything and not have any "left overs."

Last year I was thinking of listing my Homebrewing setup. There are some very desirable parts (pump, kettles, chiller) and some stuff that most people don't want (buckets, bottles, tubing). I tried selling as a lot and no on jumped, but I got a dozen emails asking for the specific "cool" items." If I had broken up the lot, I would have gotten stuck with the common crap.

As I was sipping an epic homebrew last night, I am glad I didn't sell any of it!

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA

Good Luck.

So let's say he gets 50% of the value from a dealer for the lot, we're talking $25,000 ($50,000 collection value)

and let's say you only got 80% of the value off GB... That's $40,000.

That's the same as picking up a job flipping burgers and working 30hr weeks for a year. And the actual time put into selling them would be much less.

$15,000 would be worth my time... But then again, I also bought $1500 worth of rusty AK mags for 4.99 each and spent the time to sort, sell and ship them to double my money and have about 30 mags for myself.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    My contract ends Jan10th. "Lack of work" letter will prolly come the following Monday and I figure that I have 3 more weeks on payroll after that

We are always looking for IT security folks (especially with CISSP cert). If you want to PM me your resume, I'll circulate it with our IT team and to my network outside the firm. You guys are in demand... a replacement gig shouldn't be too hard to find. Let me know if I can help.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Another option...there's a pretty big firearms auction coming up on Jan 31st. over here on the shore which has traditionally had nationwide interest. www.amauctions.com They do take a commission which would cut into your take, but the guns sold in past years at this auction typically sell for way more than they should (ex. used examples selling for more than new models at full retail) so you'll still make out OK. They advertise and promote them. You drop them off and let them do the work. Plus all guns are sold in one evening. No hassles. Just throwing it out there.
    PS--sorry for your situation. Will keep you in our prayers.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Another option...there's a pretty big firearms auction coming up on Jan 31st. over here on the shore which has traditionally had nationwide interest. www.amauctions.com They do take a commission which would cut into your take, but the guns sold in past years at this auction typically sell for way more than they should (ex. used examples selling for more than new models at full retail) so you'll still make out OK. They advertise and promote them. You drop them off and let them do the work. Plus all guns are sold in one evening. No hassles. Just throwing it out there.

Great tip.

YS, good luck in finding a new work opportunity. Seems like there are persons up thread that might know of positions. Always enjoy reading your posts of your latest C&R finds, or advising others on the same topic. Hope you keep at least a few of the highlights of your current collection.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

^Good idea there

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    They're ready to "call up a buddy and have them come look at it"

:lol2::lol2:
    They're also complete shysters who give you ten cents on the dollar if that of what your stuff is worth.

:sad20::sad20::sad20: They lowball EVERYTHING, it's kind of infuriating.

Im a network security/intrusion detection/incident response manager with my CISSP.

Network security with CISSP are in demand - I don't imagine it would take that long to find a new gig unless you need a Secret or higher clearance for the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom