is it legal to carry pepper spray in MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • altima98

Apr 6, 2008
    I was wondering about that as I have seen more pepper(Defensive) sprays in some of the local sporting goods stores... Maybe good to piss off the Moco Black Bear,

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It is as legal to carry as a sheath knife or machette. Not making a joke. It is potentially subject to 4-101 . Not inherently illegal to carry but lots of fine print and case law regarding intent. Technically it cannot be conealed , but that *seems* to be ignored to date.

l730dc

Mar 6, 2013
    Kent Island, MD
    If u look up pepper spray laws.. it doesnt say there are any restrictions.. it lists other states as must be 18 or older etc.. none said anything like that for maryland..

I had to look for a friends child that was being bullied

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    There are some really good threads on this already posted that include the actual legal references. Bottom line is that pepper spray is illegal however the judge has the discretion to allow it if he so chooses. As I recall, the only thing that could be used for self defense that isn't specifically prohibited in MD is a knife.

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    There are some really good threads on this already posted that include the actual legal references. Bottom line is that pepper spray is illegal however the judge has the discretion to allow it if he so chooses. As I recall, the only thing that could be used for self defense that isn't specifically prohibited in MD is a knife.

And if you get into a knife fight, you're going to get cut.

I might take my chances with the OC spray. Will have to see when the next time someone's running a class.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I am looking into offering the SABRE CSAP class at the AGC in July. More than likely it will be a evening class (6PM-9PM) during the week.

l730dc

Mar 6, 2013
    Kent Island, MD

Could u please, if possibl3, give a link saying that pepper spray is illegal in md

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I would really like to see your source for that claim that pepper spray is illegal in MD.

Until you can back up that claim, I call BS.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Just an FYI, I have scheduled two SABRE Civilian Safety Awareness Program Classes to be held at the Associated Gun Clubs.

The first session will be on Wednesday July 17, 2013 from 6:00PM-9:00PM. The second session will be on Saturday July 27, 2013 from (9:00AM-Noon).

The cost for MDS members will be $50.00 ($65.00 if non-member/general public). Pre-registration is required.

Last edited:

Blackstar65

Jun 27, 2010
    I would really like to see your source for that claim that pepper spray is illegal in MD.

Until you can back up that claim, I call BS.

Here is your bs. Source: Maryland Criminal law digest page 239

Dangerous Weapons – Definitions and Prohibitions
    (a) Definitions.
    (1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated. (2) “Nunchaku” means a device constructed of two pieces of any
    substance, including wood, metal, or plastic, connected by any chain, rope, leather, or other flexible material not exceeding 24 inches in length.
    (3)(i) “Pepper mace” means an aerosol-propelled combination of highly disabling irritant pepper-based products.
    (ii) “Pepper mace” is also known as oleoresin capsicum (o.c.) spray.
    (4) “Star knife” means a device used as a throwing weapon, consisting of several sharp or pointed blades arrayed as radially disposed arms about a central disk.
    (5)(i) “Weapon” includes a dirk knife, bowie knife, switchblade knife, star knife, sandclub, metal knuckles, razor, and nunchaku.
    (ii) “Weapon” does not include:
    1. a handgun; or
    2. a penknife without a switchblade.
    (b) This section does not prohibit the following individuals from
    carrying a weapon:
    (1) an officer of the state, or of any county or municipal corporation
    of the state, who is entitled or required to carry the weapon as part of the

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom