• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Thinking about it, its lousy timing for me. I already have a VZ2008, its an ok gun but not great (sort of a blaster) but I have become more and more fascinating with the engineering.

Prices on the 58s is not small but they are a really nice gun.

Has anyone had any longer term reliability testing with the Czechpoints?

Im thinking of going with the Black Poly with an optic? What would you use? My preference would be something cold war style on a side rail.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    What is it about the 2008 that you don't like.
    After I had my bolt tabbed my VZ has been running great and I haven't had a malfunction.
    I like the design of this series of rifles but since the trigger had to be modified for semi-auto use I don't know if I can rely on it unless it was unaltered as it was intended to function.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I would not bet my life on anything Century has a hand in.

From what I understand a lot of these rifles were subcontracted out by Century.
    The last house that made the rifles had some initial quality issues but after that they were made well. From what I understand it's still a crap shoot depending on how the parts go together but you were more likely to get a good one then a bad one.
    My sights were not canted and the parts appeared to be in great shape. I wouldn't depend my life on either of these rifles (Checkpoint or 2008)because the semi auto triggers are suspect.

The only VZ rifle I would want if I wanted a better version is the one CZ built.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    What is it about the 2008 that you don't like.
    After I had my bolt tabbed my VZ has been running great and I haven't had a malfunction.
    I like the design of this series of rifles but since the trigger had to be modified for semi-auto use I don't know if I can rely on it unless it was unaltered as it was intended to function.

You buy the bolt carrier and tab from Czechpoint then weld it yourself or did you cut a piece of steel and weld it or what? Buddy has two Century VZ58/2008 rifles and one runs great while the other needs a tabbed bolt carrier.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    CzechPoint, Inc. was launched in October 2008 and is located in the United States. We are a direct partner with Czech Small Arms (formerly known as D-Technik) - a firearms manufacturer located in Jablunka, Czech Republic. CzechPoint is the sole importer and primary distributor for the following Czech Small Arms (CSA) manufactured firearms: the Sa vz. 58 rifle, the Sa vz.58 pistol, and the Sa vz. 61 Scorpion. In addition to importing CSA products, CzechPoint is proud to be the sole importer and distributor of Alfa Proj revolvers - manufactured in Brno, Czech Republic.

Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    i upgraded to a vz58 a few months back and have only gotten it out to the range a couple times so i cant speak to long term reliablity.

i can say i've put over 200 flawless rounds through compared to my 2008 that would fail to feed once every 5-10 rounds and sticky bolt.

it just feels more sturdy and ive got no complaints... other than the handguard does still get real hot real quick, so no shooting it without gloves.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If I were going to buy another Vz58-alike, I'd definitely do it in 5.56x45 with the AR adapter. The Vz2008 is a good blaster rifle, but I don't like having to maintain a separate supply of magazines for it.

Waz, how is like with the AR adapter? Does it work well with Magpul pmags?

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    You buy the bolt carrier and tab from Czechpoint then weld it yourself or did you cut a piece of steel and weld it or what? Buddy has two Century VZ58/2008 rifles and one runs great while the other needs a tabbed bolt carrier.

I sent it out to be done. Apparently it's a timing issue because of the use of semi auto trigger parts. Czechpoint pioneered the tabbed bolt to correct the issue. From what I read Century tried to copy the tabbed fix but Czechpoint made them stop so Century fixed the issue with one of the trigger parts. The problem is Century Arms fix eventually fails over time and the bolt needs to be tabbed. That is what happened to me and other owners. After the bolt was tabbed it was back on track.
    I'm sure these guns are reliable but I would not trust any of them because there is not enough testing to prove the semi auto trigger design is without flaw. It would have been nice if there was a way to retain the original trigger design but disable the auto feature.

Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    Waz, how is like with the AR adapter? Does it work well with Magpul pmags?

no issues so far with pmags or usgi mags. they lock in smoothly, drop free and bolt still holds open on empty. :thumbsup:

as i mentioned, i've only had minimal range time with it at this point but its already proven to be more reliable than my 2008 (which i no longer have).

i'm hoping to get out to AGC this weekend and put another couple hundred rounds down the pipe.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    full disclosure...

my vz58 is chambered in 5.56, so its not exactly the same

That's really nice, I would like to get my hands on the 5.56 but they seem to be unobtainium.

As for VZ58 vs. VZ2008. Not criticizing, the VZ2008 is a good gun and they run well I have one. Its been reliable though not terribly accurate (about the same as my lesser AKs). Though having looked at both side by side, the VZ58 has a lot better fit and finish.

Love the mechanics on these.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    no issues so far with pmags or usgi mags. they lock in smoothly, drop free and bolt still holds open on empty. :thumbsup:
    Pretty cool! A lot of mag adapters seem to have issues with pmags due to them being slightly thicker, so I'm glad to hear that the Vz58 crew got this right. :)

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    I sent it out to be done. Apparently it's a timing issue because of the use of semi auto trigger parts. Czechpoint pioneered the tabbed bolt to correct the issue. From what I read Century tried to copy the tabbed fix but Czechpoint made them stop so Century fixed the issue with one of the trigger parts. The problem is Century Arms fix eventually fails over time and the bolt needs to be tabbed. That is what happened to me and other owners. After the bolt was tabbed it was back on track.
    I'm sure these guns are reliable but I would not trust any of them because there is not enough testing to prove the semi auto trigger design is without flaw. It would have been nice if there was a way to retain the original trigger design but disable the auto feature.

Yeah I read about Czechpoint suing Century to stop them from using the tabbed bolt carrier and the nature of the problem in general. To whom did you send yours out to and how much was it?

Tito

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 4, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Yeah I read about Czechpoint suing Century to stop them from using the tabbed bolt carrier and the nature of the problem in general. To whom did you send yours out to and how much was it?

Check out this forum:
    http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?board=67.0

I had the bolt tap done for piece of mind, last year for piece of mind. I didn't have any problems pre or post work. I believe I paid $50.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    What Tito said. The member Force Match has done mine as well. I believe he rounds off and angles of the tab just right for smooth function rather then just welding on a right angled tab. Very experienced in this platform and his work is first rate.

I have noticed an improvement in the way the gun cycles when racking back the slide after being tabbed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom