• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Liberty, when you want the best.

Liberty makes a nice safe but they are even better at marketing. They are far from the best. Most safes are listed a RSC's (Residential Security Containers). If you want something better get a TL-15 or TL-30 rated safe. They are big bucks though.
    I say all this as a satisfied Liberty owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brownl345

Jan 9, 2015
    Howard County
    Thompson safe co in Frederick treated me right and doesn't sell junk...
    I have thought about looking into snap safe, but don't know much about them other than what the internet says

+1 for Thompson Safes. Mike is a very quality person, won't cheat or BS you, and will put your safe wherever you want it, within reason. He delivered my safe in March and it was amazing to watch.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    +1 for Thompson Safes. Mike is a very quality person, won't cheat or BS you, and will put your safe wherever you want it, within reason. He delivered my safe in March and it was amazing to watch.

I bought my safe from Mike as well, very easy to deal with and has a large selection, and price range.:thumbsup:

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    Buy the best you can afford and go up a couple sizes from the one you like. They might claim to be 12 gun, but yhats when you stack them on top of each other. Just look at the premade supports. The ones across the back are great. The ones that run up the sides use the same floor space as the back ones.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    PM safecracker on here.

Liberty makes a nice safe but they are even better at marketing. They are far from the best. Most safes are listed a RSC's (Residential Security Containers). If you want something better get a TL-15 or TL-30 rated safe. They are big bucks though.
    I say all this as a satisfied Liberty owner.

I will second safecracker. About a year or two back he hooked me up with a Mosler TL-30 at a great price. Compared to the other 'gun safes' that I looked into, which have thin plate steel over drywall boards, my TL-30 has 4-5 inches of steel and concrete. It does not have a shiny paint job or pre-made shelving, but I am not showing it off to visitors anyway. Making shelving just took some wood, screws, and my pick of end-of-roll discounted carpeting from Lowes.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011

He used to sell Liberty safes and raved about them for years. All other local dealers had to buy from him. After Liberty killed that arrangement he dropped them and now says they are junk.:innocent0
    Liberty makes nice safes at a good price but there are definitely better ones out there. I do own a Liberty and am happy with it.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I got a Liberty from Dave at A-1 Safes in Fallston that I really like. Whatever brand you go with, get one size larger than what you think you need/want. Trust me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought Liberty from Dave as well. He was the only one I found that was willing to attempt the installation down to my basement. It was challenging to say the least.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    Has anyone actually seen the inside of a "fire rated" safe after an actual fire? I'm wondering how well things inside the safe actually hold up after a bad house fire?

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I have a Sturdy safe. I like it a lot but if I could get a do over I would grab a real safe from Lackasafe (based in New Jersey). I have called them a couple times (really nice on the phone) for quotes on delivery with white glove install (put it where you want it) and it was anywhere between $500-800 which isn't bad considering the safes I was asking about weight 2.5-3.5k pounds. Every once in a while they have Mosler data safes available too. Once I get my house straightened out I am going to get a legit composite TL-30 or TL-15 from them. They have a Class B and a Class A double door Mosler in stock right now actually.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Has anyone actually seen the inside of a "fire rated" safe after an actual fire? I'm wondering how well things inside the safe actually hold up after a bad house fire?

Fire rated safes release water vapor to help cool down the inside for a little longer (that's the primary purpose of the drywall inserts). Some also have expanding seals around the door for extra protection.

I have no personal experience with fire and guns (thank God) but have seen a few other's safes posted after fires. Fire-rated or not, the guns are rusted/blackened to hell and the furniture is toast. A fire of any real consequence will get them regardless of a few sheets of drywall.

IMO fire rating in safes is fairly useless. That's what insurance is for.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Many years ago I remember going to a commercial safe place downtown to get a safe for a restaurant. They had a crap load of safes that had been cracked. In most cases they had been peeled on one of the sides. Thinner steel and once breached any easy process to peel the steel right down the side.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    I have a Sturdy safe. I like it a lot but if I could get a do over I would grab a real safe from Lackasafe (based in New Jersey). I have called them a couple times (really nice on the phone) for quotes on delivery with white glove install (put it where you want it) and it was anywhere between $500-800 which isn't bad considering the safes I was asking about weight 2.5-3.5k pounds. Every once in a while they have Mosler data safes available too. Once I get my house straightened out I am going to get a legit composite TL-30 or TL-15 from them. They have a Class B and a Class A double door Mosler in stock right now actually.

Thanks. I am gonna call these folks. Have a place in DE. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom