• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ruffrocca

KingWayneTheGreat
    Mar 29, 2015
    Baltimore, MD
    I have a Century Arms C39 AK pistol. Sometime in the next few months I'm thinking of having a full 16" chrome line barrel installed on it. (with a nice twist rate) As of right now I don't know of a place here in MD that sells them and or installs them. I would need the full service of having my current one removed and a new one installed. I'm currently living in the Baltimore County area but I am able to travel a bit as long as the service it good and the price is right. Anyone know of a place where I can go?

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    Paging tc617...

On reflection are you planning to have a 16" barrel pistol or are you planning to add a stock and make it a rifle? Because if it is the latter I'm not sure that legal as it would constitute manufactured a banned firearm if you purchased the pistol after October 1, 2013.

Matt

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Even if you purchased it before Oct 1, 2013, it would be considered that by MSP.

Look at how they treat SBRs.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    As suggested, make sure the receiver (firearm) was purchased prior to the ban date. Otherwise it has to stay a pistol while in MD.

Swapping barrels is considered gunsmithing, so you can send out-of-state and not need an FFL involved. Go local if you can, I know Duffy's has a good smith that does AK work.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Just wondering here...
    Is the law written that:
    One can not transfer a banded firearm?
    One can not manufacture a banded firearm?
    One can not newly acquire a banded fire arm...

If the law is written with "transfer" then he can make it just never sell it.

Not looking to skirt the law just wondering out loud.

Chris

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    Just wondering here...
    Is the law written that:
    One can not transfer a banded firearm?
    One can not manufacture a banded firearm?
    One can not newly acquire a banded fire arm...

If the law is written with "transfer" then he can make it just never sell it.

Not looking to skirt the law just wondering out loud.

Chris

Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:
    (1) transport an assault [pistol] WEAPON into the State; or
    (2) possess, sell, offer to sell, transfer, purchase, or receive an assault [pistol] WEAPON

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    (2) possess, sell, offer to sell, transfer, purchase, or receive an assault [pistol] WEAPON

Yea... Possess kills it.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD

Obviously, subsection (b) contains the rules and regulations by which possession of an "assault weapon" is legal.

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    Obviously, subsection (b) contains the rules and regulations by which possession of an "assault weapon" is legal.

It does. For most of us the significant portion is essentially a grandfather clause. This is partly responsible for the mad rush to acquire firearms and the MSP backlog in 2013.

(3) A PERSON WHO LAWFULLY POSSESSED , HAS A PURCHASE ORDER FOR, OR COMPLETED AN APPLICATION TO PURCHASE AN ASSAULT LONG GUN OR A COPYCAT WEAPON BEFORE OCTOBER 1, 2013 MAY:
    (I) CONTINUE TO POSSESS AND TRANSPORT THE ASSAULT LONG GUN OR COPYCAT WEAPON

You should read the bill. This topic starts around page 13. Unfortunately you will probably have more questions after you read it.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/sb/sb0281e.pdf

ruffrocca

KingWayneTheGreat
    Mar 29, 2015
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks for all the responses. Sorry for my delay I'm just getting home from work. I want to just swap the barrel to one that's 16". I'm not adding a stock so it will still be a pistol. I do plan on adding a cheek rest though. Does it have to maintain a certain OAL or be shorter than a certain OAL to still be considered a pistol?

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I would usually be the first to volunteer help with your AK but I have to question why you would want to install a 16" barrel on an AK pistol unless you plan to later install a rifle stock. And there lies my concerns... If I install a 16" barrel on your AK pistol and at some time later you install a stock, I may have helped you build a banned ALG.

I don't mean to offend you or question your motives - You are most likely a honest law abiding citizen, but as much as I would like to help you, I must respectfully decline.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    §5–101. (n)(1) “Handgun” means a firearm with a barrel less than 16 inches in length.

So your barrel would need to be LESS than 16" to qualify as a pistol. It doesn't specifically say that adding a barrel over that length would create a banned firearm, but I wouldn't risk it.

ruffrocca

KingWayneTheGreat
    Mar 29, 2015
    Baltimore, MD
    TC617 I definitely understand where you are coming from. I wouldn't want stick myself out there to help a total stranger do anything illegal as well. Now I could slap a stock on there but I'm not risking that. I do want to be able to take it to the range with-out running into any kind of trouble. Putting a stock on it would be beyond dumb. I'd rather just put a cheek rest or Sig Brace on it and avoid the trouble. Now as far as why I want to swap barrels, from what I read the shorter the barrel the louder it is. Also shorter barrels aren't as accurate. And I think a longer barrel just looks cooler.

Now taking in consideration what Rob-cubed mentioned I could roll with a 14 inch barrel I really just don't want what I have on there now.

So now is the question everyone is asking... Well why the hell did you buy the damn thing then? Simple, I just wanted a AK! lol. Yes I could have just bought a sks or a vz58 from Palmetto and yes I plan on doing so... right now, no, sometime within the next year, definitely! And currently I am in the works of building a AR-47, but like I mentioned before I still wanted a AK. If MD didn't have these crappy laws I could get a rifle buuut I'm stuck with these here lemons. So yeah 14 - 16" it doesn't really matter. I just want to be able to collect, shoot, legally customize, and enjoy my guns like everyone else.

ruffrocca

KingWayneTheGreat
    Mar 29, 2015
    Baltimore, MD
    Wow I just realize something and you all might agree. If you go back and look at what I really just went thru it kinda reminds me of what's going on in society today. The legal person (myself) really had to jump through a flaming hoop defending my legal firearm. (Kinda like Our Rights vs MD Law) Where as a person who really doesn't care about the law just goes out and buys the firearm illegally and the focus isn't on him. It's like getting tackled by your own team-mate

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Wow I just realize something and you all might agree. If you go back and look at what I really just went thru it kinda reminds me of what's going on in society today. The legal person (myself) really had to jump through a flaming hoop defending my legal firearm. (Kinda like Our Rights vs MD Law) Where as a person who really doesn't care about the law just goes out and buys the firearm illegally and the focus isn't on him. It's like getting tackled by your own team-mate

Yeah, it sucks and I hope that you were not offended by my reply. My signature pretty much sums up my feelings about FSA'13. The entire bill was aimed at law abiding gun owners and there was not one section that applied towards criminals. They need to just enforce the current laws and stop allowing lawyers to plead away the gun charges... But we all know that there is no money in doing that. :sad20:

Here is an option that maybe you haven't considered. If you install a 16" barrel and were able to get the OAL >26" you could legally install a forward vertical grip without it becoming a NFA firearm. It may require pin/welding a 2-3" flash hider to the end of the barrel to get it out to that >26" OAL.

IMHO you are not creating a "NEW" firearm as you would with a FORM-1 SBR. You are not manufacturing a ALG because it would not have a stock. You are not manufacturing a copycat weapon either... you are just changing the barrel and OAL on your current legally purchased firearm. See the attached ATF letter fo more clarification.

IANAL

http://www.franklinarmory.com/XO-26_Letter__c_.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom