• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    @mathfish
    Do you agree that purchasing said "magazines" outside of the border of MD is legal?

Feb 28, 2013
    Crimony.:whoa:

Talk about a case of splitting hairs. Absolutely nothing to worry about here. Just hustle up north of the border and buy some more.:D

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    JTFC.

OP, you did nothing wrong. You took possession of your magazine outside of MD's borders and jurisdiction. Simple as that.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    And here it is.

The meaning of transfer was set out in Chow v. State of Maryland, which I believe is a 2005 case. Transfer is NOT the same at transport. Maryland laws do not apply in Virginia. Virginia does NOT prohibit the transfer of a mag of any capacity as far as I am aware of.

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    My hair is bleeding after reading this.... I'm going to PA now to get some 30 round mag pills to suppress my Mindfulloff**k symptoms. I'll grab some 40 pills and maybe a 100 drum just incase 30's don't help my symptoms.

Math, you just had a baby, go relax with your family. You are worrying about nothing. Just because a lawyer says something, doesn't mean he/she specializes in that specific area of law.

Mr H

Banana'd
    thanks all for the replies. This is what I need and why I did it originally because it seemed 100% legal.

But again I worry about why someone who is "in the know" says otherwise.

For example, not to flame Mr. H. I am sure he knows his stuff but his post seemed to be more of a "I am not so sure this is legal".

He is not on but that little doubt is enough to keep this door open and make me wonder.

My question was merely one of "who had the mag, where and when".

I guess I'm still not clear on how it got from the FFL to you, but I'm just now getting back to this thread.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    The only way to be absolutely sure to be legal is to buy std rd mags out of state and put them in your underwear before entering the state of Maryland (home of the low cap mag and other stupid firearm laws). :)

mathfish

May 13, 2013
    Thank you all for the responses and encouragement. I REALLY appreciate it.

Just to summarize where I am. I do feel regarding "transfer" with regards to buying a magazine across state lines and bringing it back is ok.

What some members pointed out is that it not quite exactly that. I contacted an online gun company, I think it was clyde armory, and ordered an AR15. I told them to remove the 30 round clip twice and twice they said no problem. The price for the AR was unchanged regardless of the clip being there or not. But they forgot or whatever and it came. So it got shipped to VA and I picked it up there. What other members pointed out is that I may have "bought the magazine" in Maryland because I bought the rifle and the magazine came with it. I have to check my receipt but in that case I am afraid that I technically bought a magazine while in MD because I did it online from my place of residence. That is what I am afraid of. From my perspective I did not buy it. It just showed up in the box but I just don't know since it seems this is kind of gray.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    But the magazine came to an FFL, who is legally permitted to receive it--just not EVER give it to anyone standing inside the boundaries of MD.

Once he sent it out-of-state, which he is licensed to do, it was yours to pick up and bring back. Simple as that.

And speaking of baby diapers…in the old days they had CLIPS to hold them on. Your new baby diapers have tape on them so there are NO CLIPS to fuss with. You have AR magazines, not clips. Welcome to the forum by the way and congrats on being a new Dad.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Thank you all for the responses and encouragement. I REALLY appreciate it.

Just to summarize where I am. I do feel regarding "transfer" with regards to buying a magazine across state lines and bringing it back is ok.

What some members pointed out is that it not quite exactly that. I contacted an online gun company, I think it was clyde armory, and ordered an AR15. I told them to remove the 30 round clip twice and twice they said no problem. The price for the AR was unchanged regardless of the clip being there or not. But they forgot or whatever and it came. So it got shipped to VA and I picked it up there. What other members pointed out is that I may have "bought the magazine" in Maryland because I bought the rifle and the magazine came with it. I have to check my receipt but in that case I am afraid that I technically bought a magazine while in MD because I did it online from my place of residence. That is what I am afraid of. From my perspective I did not buy it. It just showed up in the box but I just don't know since it seems this is kind of gray.

You have already received this solid advice from Brooklyn, who is not an attorney, but let me reiterate it so you can hear it from an attorney. STOP WRITING ABOUT THE PARTICULARS ABOUT WHAT YOU DID ON A PUBLIC INTERNET FORUM where your ISP can most likely be determined.

It really does feel like you WANT to get charged with something.

My view on this is that you purchased the firearm and the mag was NOT part of the transaction since you told the seller to exclude it from the gun. The purchase contract was for the GUN, and the GUN only. The seller mistakenly shipped the mag as a freebie. Save all your communications between you and the seller if you are this worried about it, stop worrying about it, and STOP posting the details on the internet.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    You have already received this solid advice from Brooklyn, who is not an attorney, but let me reiterate it so you can hear it from an attorney. STOP WRITING ABOUT THE PARTICULARS ABOUT WHAT YOU DID ON A PUBLIC INTERNET FORUM where your ISP can most likely be determined.

It really does feel like you WANT to get charged with something.

My view on this is that you purchased the firearm and the mag was NOT part of the transaction since you told the seller to exclude it from the gun. The purchase contract was for the GUN, and the GUN only. The seller mistakenly shipped the mag as a freebie. Save all your communications between you and the seller if you are this worried about it, stop worrying about it, and STOP posting the details on the internet.

^^^ this times 1000.

It is not necessarily a question of whether the law was broken, but what documentation you need to keep to ensure that the transaction can be characterized appropriately much later when memories have faded. You do not want to get into a he-said she-said.

And, you might at least request that the mods delete this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom