• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As far as longevity , Ideal ( later bought by Lyman Gunsight Corperation ) was making reloading equipment not long after the beginning of metalic ctgs. Long before Fred Huntington was born. By those standards , Hornaday metallic reloading equipment only started last week.

I was fat chewing about mainstream equipment. Reading I consider to be halfway between mass market and benchrest ( quality and price ).

From the '50s thru the '70s , Richard Lee's origional Handloader ( the hammer the case one) started millions of people handloading who wouldn't have otherwise.

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    Ok here is what I learned the hard way.

Get a good vibratory tumbler. Harbor freight is not the way to go. Use some kind of polish in the media to clean the brass.

Get a good scale. The cheap digital ones are horrible. My recommendation is the rcbs 505

Don't get the nosler reloading manual. There are much better options.

The last thing is to get a prep station. It saves so much time and my hands do not hurt as much.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Ok here is what I learned the hard way.

Get a good vibratory tumbler. Harbor freight is not the way to go. Use some kind of polish in the media to clean the brass.

Get a good scale. The cheap digital ones are horrible. My recommendation is the rcbs 505

Don't get the nosler reloading manual. There are much better options.

The last thing is to get a prep station. It saves so much time and my hands do not hurt as much.

Scale: RCBS Range Master 750. ;)

And you're right about the Prep Station. Sore hands suck. Will be looking into a P-S.

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    Scale: RCBS Range Master 750. ;)

And you're right about the Prep Station. Sore hands suck. Will be looking into a P-S.

I meant cheap digital scales that come with most reloading start up kits like this one

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/43...cale-1500-grain-capacity?cm_vc=ProductFinding

My rcbs kit came with something like this. I think it's one of the first thing that needs to be upgraded. There are digital scales out there that are very good but they are not cheap.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Dont say lee vs rcbs is chevy vs ford...

They will both get the job dont but one is way more sturdy. Its closer to chevy vs kia. The powder measure and the scale sre both a lot nicer on the rcbs and you will likely not get much selling them used from the lee. Its hard to go wrong with rcbs but my advice would be to look for a used one. Mine belonged to my uncle and is older than i am. Was a tad rusted when i got it out of the basement but runs like a clock now and i dont anticipate any issues moving forward.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    Don't forget a set of calipers.... vernier, dial, or digital to measure cartridge over all length and also to check to see if your cases need trimming. What I have found is bottleneck cases stretch and grow longer on firing and straight wall cases don't.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Dont say lee vs rcbs is chevy vs ford...

They will both get the job dont but one is way more sturdy. Its closer to chevy vs kia. The powder measure and the scale sre both a lot nicer on the rcbs and you will likely not get much selling them used from the lee. Its hard to go wrong with rcbs but my advice would be to look for a used one. Mine belonged to my uncle and is older than i am. Was a tad rusted when i got it out of the basement but runs like a clock now and i dont anticipate any issues moving forward.

Then I would say, Ford vs.Kia:D

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I would try to steer your towards a Lee Classic Turret Press. You can use as a single-stage press for your rifle and a turret press for your pistol, at least that is what I do. Best of both worlds.

Loading pistol cartridges on a single stage would drive me insane...

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Congrats OP, on your decision to reload!! I took the plunge 4 years ago and never looked back. I load for all my varmint and deer rigs as well as my rattle-guns (SKS & AK) and my revolver. Lot's of fun! I got an RCBS single stage Rock Chucker kit and love it. Over the years, I've added stuff like OAL gauges, Concentricity gages, etc. (next on the list is a crono) and as I've gotten familiar with the tools, my results have improved accordingly.

Save the $125 on the NRA course and get some good reference books (ABC's of reloading, etc.). Got questions?? Ask the MD Shooters!! Someone is bound to chime in with a nugget of info that will usually be of help.

There's nothing like shooting your first sub-MOA "puppy toe" group with your own hand loads, and nothing like your first clean kill in the field with the same.

Good luck!

ST.243

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I started reloading 9mm recently and didn't blow myself up, so I guess I can talk.

My starter approach was to go cheap on the press and expensive-ish on the scale and powder measure, and I think that was the right call. Here is the gear I am using:

• The Lyman Accu-Touch 2000 digital scale has been just excellent, and maintains calibration as long as I want I need it to (including in some really cold temperatures!).
    • I use the RCBS Uniflow for my powder measure. It has been stupidly reliable thus far, and I don't think that's going to change. I did need to swap to the small cylinder, though...
    • I went with a Lee Classic Cast Breech Lock press, and it has also been treating me well - I like being able to swap my dies with minimal work and reconfiguration.
    • I'm using the Hornady digital calipers. They are working well for me, better than I expected for the money. I think I'd still prefer high-end analog calipers, but I can't justify the cost at this time (I simply don't require that amount of precision on my OAL).
    • Another item that's really been helpful is the Lyman 9mm "max gauge". This saved me from an OAL issue.

Once you have everything in front of you, it's not that hard to figure out the reloading process from a book (like the ABC's of Reloading). You probably already know the key things to avoid blowing up you/your gun: watch OAL to avoid accidental high pressure situations, make sure you're using the right powder, keep within the specified max load, always check for double/zero charges, etc. I find that a single stage press has aided me in that I am doing one step many times at once - this lets me build proficiency on each task discretely, and gives me the ability to check for any particular thing on the entire batch at once.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Wow! Thank you all for all the information. I just got home from work not too long ago (long day). I think I'm going to pour myself a drink and re-read all the great info you've provided. I can't thank you all enough for taking the time to respond. :thumbsup:

You're welcome and I'm glad I was able to help you.

I'd pass on it and go with a progressive, due to the 223/556 and the 300BLK. Those are high volume shooting calibers and the more ammo you can make in a shorter amount of time, means that you will be able to shoot good ammo, without a massive time expenditure at the bench. You know the way I lean when it comes to a press, but I will admit I learned everything on my dad's RCBS Rockchucker. The Lee press is a good starter press and also for doing load dev, due to the low volume you can load per hour (<100 rounds per hour). If it was me, and I was to do it all over again, I would still go with a progressive. I spend 1.5-2 hours at the bench and come out with 1k rounds of _____.

If you want me to teach you how to reload, I'd be willing to do so. I can teach you single stage operations and also progressive operations. The offer is open ended, just let me know when you are ready. It will also allow you to make a $125 donation directly to the NRA, SAF, MSI, GOA, etc...

If you have a 308 that you would like to load for, bring your brass, bullets, primers, and powder. You'll be able to take reloaded 308 ammo home with you that day, that you made. If I get a chance this weekend, I'm going to finish calibrating the seating die and powder measure for the 300, so if you want to give those a try instead of the 308, we can do that.

Thank you very much DA. I'm going to look into all 3 (Single, Turret, and Progressive). I need to make sure I get everything I need to start reloading without putting a huge dent into the bank account. I appreciate your offer and may take you up on it depending on our schedules. Once I decide on a press, i will contact you. Thanks again, you're a good man.:thumbsup:

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I know its not a must, but they also sell the "portable" or folding reloading bench that if you are cram for space or wants it all cleaned up then check it out. I think it was like 50dollars and up, but its not a bad option. But it also depends on the press you get. If you get a progressive press, might not work, but with a single or turrent press, it should be okay.

harbor freight for sonic brass cleaner, with 20 percent coupon. also i got the digital calipers there for 10 dollars, and it seems accurate. I got the frankford non digital caliper and it measures the same, but the digital one does not have all the little measurements on the shaft. But since its digital, I am guessing you really dont need it.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Wow! Thank you all for all the information. I just got home from work not too long ago (long day). I think I'm going to pour myself a drink and re-read all the great info you've provided. I can't thank you all enough for taking the time to respond. :thumbsup:

Thank you very much DA. I'm going to look into all 3 (Single, Turret, and Progressive). I need to make sure I get everything I need to start reloading without putting a huge dent into the bank account. I appreciate your offer and may take you up on it depending on our schedules. Once I decide on a press, i will contact you. Thanks again, you're a good man.:thumbsup:

I'm a PM away, whenever you are ready.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Ok, I decided on a Turret press. I've looked at the Lee Turret press Kit but it looks like some of the stuff that comes with the kit will have to be replaced.
    So I've decided to buy everything separately. Can you guys direct me to a list of everything I'll need to start out (a parts list so to speak). I'm mainly looking to start with just 300blk. I'll eventually move to pistol and others.

Thanks again.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If you get anything by Lee, I can definitely get ya up and running.

Basic down and dirty list -

Press (obviously)
    Scale
    Calipers
    Case prep tools
    Case lube
    Dies (in appropriate caliber of course)
    Vibratory tumbler is also nice to have
    Consumables (powder, bullets, primers)
    Load data

Off the top of my head.

Users who are viewing this thread