• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I just think this arguement is ridiculous. Comparing "my" gun to a generalized impression of a design or model is worthless. Take a few of each type being argued over straight from the assmebly line and test them. What someone does after they get a gun can drastically affect its performance.

The arguement of shooting a bullseye at 25 yrds through pea soup does nothing for me and I'm not offended if you disagree. I didn't design any firearm being used. I highly doubt the Marines will take a step back and bring a model of gun back into its use after they got rid of it 20-30 years ago.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I like 1911s. Not quite sure of definations of modern vs (other) , and the last Milspec 1911A1 was purchased in 1945.

Now I have carried a 1920s vintage Gov't Model that had a couple zillion rounds thru it before I bought it. Went bang every time. Only failure was when origional extractor broke . After recrowning the origional bbl groups shrank from washtub to milk jug sized.

Don't know if 1960s Commander is "Modern" . But it also went bang every time , but shot a lot tighter. But enough thousands of rounds and the usual frame crack would be inevitable. ( Carried this also).

As far as I'm concerned MEU/SOC Marines are trained and practiced enough to master anything they care to , and they have a fine staff of 'smiths at Quantico to build , and overhaul them.

But would I issue mass produced 1911s to the rank and file ? Nah. I'd go with lighter , doesn't rust , plenty reliable , more rounds for average Mil user to miss/ provide covering fire with , and more accurate than 99.9% of them can shoot it, with simplier manual of arms. And there are enough 100K plus round count (particular brand of plastic pistol) out there that I'm not overly concerned aboute longevity in the absolute sense.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I just think this arguement is ridiculous. Comparing "my" gun to a generalized impression of a design or model is worthless. Take a few of each type being argued over straight from the assmebly line and test them. What someone does after they get a gun can drastically affect its performance.

The arguement of shooting a bullseye at 25 yrds through pea soup does nothing for me and I'm not offended if you disagree. I didn't design any firearm being used. I highly doubt the Marines will take a step back and bring a model of gun back into its use after they got rid of it 20-30 years ago.

Did you read the article?

I've personally never seen Chad contradict himself. True he's not a fan of the more modern 1911s but he'll defend the original military issue everytime. I admire him for that. I own a 1927 Navy issue and several others. The newer ones are fine with me but the old "clanker" is a gem.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    hey chad why do you consider a threaded barrel a neccesity on a carry gun out of curiosity?

He works a third job at the mall, and has had to take out entire gangs quietly so as not to disturb the crowds. ;)

Just kidding Ofcourse. Most of my guns have threaded barrels to, just because I can.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Good for the Corps., bring back old slab-side! (Even if it is in a limited role and numbers.)

I'm surprised this pissing match has gone on for this long, honestly.

This is what the Corps IS DOING, not thinking of doing. They obviously see a role for it to fill, and intend on it filling said role, get over it.

If you don't agree with their choice, fine - that's your opinion and you have all the right in the world to express it, but it doesn't change the fact that they are doing it.

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville

i see whenever 1911s come up in conversation, the haters always agree that while a 1911 might be a more precise gun the "enter tupperware gun of your choice" is more reliable. in my opinion, while stretching the accuracy or reliability in a handgun is highly unlikely in a combat situation, its more likely that accuracy will be used. if you read old mossad ayoob articles, youll hear the stories of cops taking 100 yard shots with there duty revolvers. ive never heard of a story of a cop shooting 50000 rounds in a shootout without cleaning his gun.

armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    Just go ahead and adopt the M&P or Glock and be done with it. Hell of a lot cheaper than almost any 1911 and has a stellar reputation.... Would look nice having a .40 or a 10mm .... ehhhhhh

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    i see whenever 1911s come up in conversation, the haters always agree that while a 1911 might be a more precise gun the "enter tupperware gun of your choice" is more reliable. in my opinion, while stretching the accuracy or reliability in a handgun is highly unlikely in a combat situation, its more likely that accuracy will be used. if you read old mossad ayoob articles, youll hear the stories of cops taking 100 yard shots with there duty revolvers. ive never heard of a story of a cop shooting 50000 rounds in a shootout without cleaning his gun.

There was also a higher hit to shot fired ratio in the days of revolvers.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Just go ahead and adopt the M&P or Glock and be done with it. Hell of a lot cheaper than almost any 1911 and has a stellar reputation.... Would look nice having a .40 or a 10mm .... ehhhhhh

Glock won't happen - imported in GA, but built in Austria. ;)

M&P - Own one, like it, carry it. (In the only real caliber too - .45ACP) But honestly I'd prefer to see the classic brought back, and with extended magazines available, capacity can't be used as an argument there.

Fact of the matter is, 1911 has 70+ years as the primary sidearm for the US Military, lots of people ain't around today because it does it's job well, and if the Corps. has a niche they want it to fill, more power to them.

armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    But who the hell wants 7 rounds??? I guess it would be a good paper weight. Why would would want to carry someting that weighs 2 times (maybe more) more than a combat tupperware and only carries 7 rounds??

How about 10 plus one. Funny thing about McCormick mags, they work in all of my 1911s.

Attachments

• Copy of McMag 001.jpg
      Copy of McMag 001.jpg
      29.8 KB · Views: 179

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    A little off topic...

Do you guys that use the CM 10 rounders have any issues, any at all, because of the extra length?
    I've been looking at the higher caps for my 1911 but the length is the only thing holding me back.
    I now use the Wilson Combat 8 rounders that fit flush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom