• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 28, 2013
    A nice new toy followed me home from Duffy's today, a Sig 556. Only problem is, it's the Swat style, and that simply will not do. So, the purist in me is demandin' that I "Swiss" it up, to the extent possible or practical. Suggestions will be appreciated. :)

Let's start with the barrel. Swiss barrels are unobtainium as far as I can tell, and changing those requires swappin' out the trunnion as well. So that's out. I can live without the grenade ring in the middle of the space between the trunnion and the muzzle.

The easiest and obvious fix will be the handguard. Those are easy to find, and should be easy to install. The only issue there is the top rail is one piece. So, that leaves the option of chopping the top rail of at the second screw and painting the end after changing the handguard.

I'm not sure about the charging handle. I like the post-style ones for the 552 that Manticore Arms used to sell. That would make it look more "Comblocish". But as far as I can tell, those ain't the original Swiss style, so that can probably stay.

Giles Tactical apparently makes slings to customer specs, with the Swiss style hooks. From what I could tell, Swiss GI slings were green, so that should be no biggie either.

Swiss style lowers are available as well, in black so there's no color mis-match.

The one I'm ponderin' on is the rear sight. Colorado Gun sales sells the weld on Swiss style rear sight bases, which would negate the need for modifyin' the rail. Problem is, havin' a sight base ain't a whole hell of a lot of good without havin' the sight to go in it, and I don't see the one mounted on the rail bein' compatible.

Feb 28, 2013
    Well, here it is now. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      31.2 KB · Views: 372

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Dear SlingBlade,

You're right. That's unsightly.

I think you should dump it and get what you really want.

Since its Sunday AND I'm in a generous mood, I'm willing to foster your homely (and "incorrect") rifle...just the way she sits. I think she's Prom Queen material!

Nice pick up. Ya done good. IMO, I wouldn't "butcher" her in any way. I once asked a cousin what he was gonna do to beef up his Porsche with aftermarket stuff like ignition, springs, wheels, tires,etc... He said "...those German engineers are a lot smarter than me, I'm gonna leave her just the way I got her." He's a very smart guy.

Now if it was an AR... They're Franken-guns anyhow. Tinkertoys for big boys (n girls...).

Good luck. Nice pick up.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    If that rail will fit a 556r I am interested in it if you decide to part with it.

Does the folding stock lock into that fancy hand guard? My 556r just got jealous :)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I would just swap the handguards out and leave it alone otherwise. The Swiss style lowers require expensive mags, and weigh more to boot, not to mention that you'd start running into dangerous territory in terms of creating a clone of an ALG.

Ugh, this thread is making me remember that I want to swap out the railed handguard on my P556 SBR for a standard polymer patrol handguard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom