• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Intercooler

Jun 10, 2012
    I'm getting out of Maryland next Spring. I think you guys can still own everything and even get a permit without a hassle. Anything I missed on that one?

Why is the property tax so high up there? I'm trying to decide between PA and DE. It adds a significant amount of the monthly mortgage payment so I am wondering how that could be a benefit just paying it. Thanks for any information!

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    Property tax varies by huge amounts depending on the county and even specific townships within the county. I will say my 12yr old 3bd 2bath rancher that's soon to be 4br 3bath on 1/2 acre has lower taxes than my brother 60yr old 2br house in Baltimore county on 1/8 an acre

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    A PA LTCF is issued by the Sheriff for the county in which you reside. They perform the "investigation", so some Sheriffs dig a little deeper and take a little longer, some add forms and fingerprinting, etc. That said, PA is shall issue by statute.

As has been said, property taxes can be a bit higher depending on where you live, but state and local income taxes are lower. Property taxes can vary pretty wildly in Maryland too, so look around. I live in the Red Lion School District with one of the higher tax rates, they say the schools are great so I guess they get away with it. There are not state taxes on retirement income.

When I lived in Baltimore County and owned a townhouse in Randallstown, my prop taxes were in the $1100 - $1300 range. This was in the late 80s to early 90s. The TH was about 1800 sq ft and I had .01 acre. That's right, 0.01 acre. I bought the TH for $73,000 in 1986.

Here my prop taxes are about $3600/yr, our house is 2800 sq ft and we have 1.5 acres. It's 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath, full finished basement, 2 car garage, fish pond asphalt driveway that holds about 7 cars, all hardwood floors and 3 fireplaces. I bought it for $239,900.

Try that in Baltimore county. :rolleyes:

I still work in Maryland. :innocent0

I have open carried everywhere I go in PA for the past 5+ years, I have yet to have a negative encounter, but have had literally hundreds of positive encounters. I know I can say hundreds because I printed 250 flyers to hand out to interested folks and I stopped counting when I ran out over 3 years ago.

I have been pleasantly surprised at how many of my positive encounters and flyers were handed out to folks who told me they were former residents of Maryland. :D

I lived in Maryland from birth, for 49 years, moved up here in 2005.

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    I've heard PA has a handgun purchase registry. Similar to MD. Google it. Very surprising.

It is and it isn't. :sad20:

Handguns purchased in PA from a PA FFL get a form sent to the PSP to go into theri Record of Sale Database and it is supposed to be destroyed within 72 hours. They don't destroy anything, and this is in violation of state statute. You do not have to register anything you purchase from a private sale (think long guns) or any handguns you bring in from out of state. You can also do face-to-face transfers without an FFL between husband-wife, parent-child, grandparent-grandchild, provided both are 18 or over, PA resident, and not prohibited. You also do not have to register anything you have been bequeathed in a will.

I think that's it. Probably something I'm forgetting though. :o

We work ongoingly to abolish the RoS database because it gets misused, but we have yet to have any success.

reddobie0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    Lost Somewhere
    I was born in PA and lived there til I was 30 then moved to MD. Income tax is lower but property tax is higher in PA. I still own three homes up there and they are valued from $180K to $150K and my property tax on these properties vary from about $2200 to $2500 in the Dallastown school district. I would love to move back, but the wife still works in DC and mother-in-law lives in Annapolis. You can get a nicer home for your money and I would not hesitate to move back. The only thing I don't like is yearly car inspections, but I could handle it.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    I would guess that my house would have cost me 250-300k probably more in Baltimore county in an area I would be willing to live in. I paid 145k taxes are roughly 3k a year. Income tax is a bit lower. Everyone around here seems in a better mood and friendlier. Guns and gun culture are not a taboo at all. Everyone is armed. I smile on Saturday and Sunday when its nice out and I hear people out shooting and riding around on 4 wheelers and I cant remember the last time I heard a siren around here and as a matter of fact I think the only time was firetrucks tending to a house fire. I rarely even see a police car. Crime is basically non existent and nobody cares what anyone else is doing. Moving here is the best decision I ever made.

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    I was born in PA and lived there til I was 30 then moved to MD. Income tax is lower but property tax is higher in PA. I still own three homes up there and they are valued from $180K to $150K and my property tax on these properties vary from about $2200 to $2500 in the Dallastown school district. I would love to move back, but the wife still works in DC and mother-in-law lives in Annapolis. You can get a nicer home for your money and I would not hesitate to move back. The only thing I don't like is yearly car inspections, but I could handle it.

Agreed, but they're not the ball-breakers you find in Maryland, maybe because they happen every year? I get my safety inspection, emissions inspection, and oil change all done at Jiffy lube. The safety/emission inspections total about $65. Oil change is additional of course. :D

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    Agreed, but they're not the ball-breakers you find in Maryland, maybe because they happen every year? I get my safety inspection, emissions inspection, and oil change all done at Jiffy lube. The safety/emission inspections total about $65. Oil change is additional of course. :D

Emissions inspection, eh?... Is it anything like MD's inane VEIP? I mean, I understand that it's done at the Jiffy Lube, but do they plug into the vehicle's OBD and put the drive-train onto rollers? I'm guessing each store must be state sanctioned as well.

Last edited:

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    As an auto mechanic myself people freaking out about the inspections is annoying. If your vehicle is maintained and safe as it should be since your on the road with everyone else it will fly right through inspection with no issues. They aren't terribly picky and are checking safety items. I don't want some idiot driving down the road in front of me one small pot hole away from a ball joint or tie rod coming apart and their vehicle ending up sideways in front me. Working in Md the junk I see come in and the things people ignore drive me nuts. Idiots wanting new dual exhaust to go with their new 24 inch wheels and stereo yet the car is literally scary to drive in the parking lot because the ball joints and tie rods are so bad you cant steer it. I wouldn't care and Im glad to take their money but it just scares the shit out of me that those idiots are flying down the road in a car or truck that is completely unsafe putting everyone around them at risk.

reddobie0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    Lost Somewhere
    As an auto mechanic myself people freaking out about the inspections is annoying. If your vehicle is maintained and safe as it should be since your on the road with everyone else it will fly right through inspection with no issues. They aren't terribly picky and are checking safety items. I don't want some idiot driving down the road in front of me one small pot hole away from a ball joint or tie rod coming apart and their vehicle ending up sideways in front me. Working in Md the junk I see come in and the things people ignore drive me nuts. Idiots wanting new dual exhaust to go with their new 24 inch wheels and stereo yet the car is literally scary to drive in the parking lot because the ball joints and tie rods are so bad you cant steer it. I wouldn't care and Im glad to take their money but it just scares the shit out of me that those idiots are flying down the road in a car or truck that is completely unsafe putting everyone around them at risk.

Agreed. People do not want spend money on the things they really need like new tires or brakes. I never could understand how you can buy a car in Md and never have it inspected ever again.

EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA
    I come from a state in the Midwest that doesn't have safety inspections or emissions tests. Both are a big racket in my opinion.

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    Emissions inspection, eh?... Is it anything like MD's inane VEIP? I mean, I understand that it's done at the Jiffy Lube, but do they plug into the vehicle's OBD and put the drive-train onto rollers? I'm guessing each store must be state sanctioned as well.

I'm not a mechanic so I can't go into detail about all that they do, but perhaps I can give you some perspective from the consumer/driver point of view. No rollers though.

My last trip to Jiffy Lube was just a couple months ago. I had the full service oil change, tires rotated, serpentine belt replaced, safety inspection, and emissions inspection. The store has 3 bays. There were already 2 cars in 2 of the bays, one bay open. From the time I pulled into the front of the open bay until the time I paid and was driving away was 25 minutes, they did while I waited, and I barely had time to finish my cup of free coffee.

They apologized that it took so long. :rolleyes:

The only thing I remember receiving faster was my PA License To Carry Firearms. That was a mind-numbing 15 minute wait. :D

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    I'm not a mechanic so I can't go into detail about all that they do, but perhaps I can give you some perspective from the consumer/driver point of view. No rollers though.

My last trip to Jiffy Lube was just a couple months ago. I had the full service oil change, tires rotated, serpentine belt replaced, safety inspection, and emissions inspection. The store has 3 bays. There were already 2 cars in 2 of the bays, one bay open. From the time I pulled into the front of the open bay until the time I paid and was driving away was 25 minutes, they did while I waited, and I barely had time to finish my cup of free coffee.

They apologized that it took so long. :rolleyes:

The only thing I remember receiving faster was my PA License To Carry Firearms. That was a mind-numbing 15 minute wait. :D

Thank you for the info, I'm adding this to my checklist of things to remember. My wife and I plan to move to the Hanover area at the end of the year when our lease ends here in Carroll Co. The rent will increase yet again and can't afford to stay here while paying a mortgage on a property in Baltimore with flaky tenants. Would prefer a town-home or single family over another apartment, but I am presently looking into new places to move. Along with the new guidelines, I'm trying to employ a list of tasks to facilitate the transition from the "Free" state to the Commonwealth. I've heard horror stories about getting the vehicle tags and insurance transferred from MD to other states, and I want to be sure everything goes as smooth as possible, or within the realm of my control.

Any tips for new movers on the vehicle tags/insurance end? I've read from users like Alucard, as well as some close personal friends who've moved about the fiasco the MVA had put them through.

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    PA is a little backwards from Maryland, but I had no nightmares. First you get insurance, then you get tags, then you get inspected, in that order. Pep Boys raped me for new front brakes for both vehicles due to "cracked pads" even though I had just replaced them that summer before, but that's not PA, that's just Pep Boys. I've never been back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    Actually, the stories I've heard were about the MVA (MD) causing headaches when transferring vehicle insurance and returning old MD plates.

I heard the same stories, but it seemed to go smoothly for me and my wife. It's nearly been a year, but we still have the receipts just in case.

Also once you move, you have 20 days to get your vehicles registered, but you can't do that without a PA ID (driver's license), so you have to get some documentation establishing residency, then get your new driver's license, THEN take care of your vehicles.

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    We moved in 2005 and I really don't remember any of the details, I just remember that the changeover was pretty easy, no glitches.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    That's just me being paranoid. I've been screwed over by the MVA before and paid dearly because they messed up. One year they mailed my VEIP notice to an old address –twice! One regular mail, the other certified. Of course, since I no longer lived there, the notice was returned to the sender. I'm sure everybody suddenly thinks as the two years is about to elapse "Hmm, it's come time to get my emissions checked again" ... well, not me. I didn't know, and if you miss the deadline the vehicle's registration gets suspended. I wasn't aware of this until a Baltimore County police officer pulled me over. Driving on a suspended registration — now the license is suspended as well.

The cop even knew something was amis, he showed me on his onboard computer that the letters were mailed and returned. He had to do his job, but was kind enough to wait while I ran across Rt. 40 to get cash from an ATM to pay the tow truck driver — because he let me tow it to my house instead of the impound lot. Super cool guy, despite the situation.

So, took the next day off and a friend drove me to MVA HQ in GB — I marched up to the Administrative Adjudications Office and explained my situation. The man behind the counter kept stating that I'd lost it or forgot. No, I said — please look at your records and I'm here to pay for a copy of my driving record as well. The man goes back to check, then comes back and begins to read... and then says "oh" ... Yeah, no sh!t - that's what I was saying — I don't live there anymore, so I never received the VEIP notice.

I was told that I had to schedule a hearing up at the Administrative Office in Hunt Valley — took two weeks to hear back that my hearing was another 6 weeks. Hearing date came, went up to Hunt Valley, explained how the MVA screwed up, did a song and a dance, and they reinstated my license and apologized. Went back to GB, got issued a new license and paid the $35 or whatever for it and went home.

I didn't drive for almost 2.5 months and had to bum rides from friends, family, and coworkers to get around and to and from work — all because the MVA sent my VEIP notice to the wrong address.

Sorry for the eyefull, but that whole ordeal still pisses me off to this day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom