• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordfan

Oct 24, 2010
    AA county
    So I am late to the suppressor party. I should have focused post 10/1 on suppressor purchases and not on build parts for all those pre 10/1 lowers. Now I want suppressors for a few of my guns.

I am wondering if it is still beneficial to spend the money for a trust with the upcoming change in laws in June regarding trusts. I understand the trust will allow others exclusive access to my items in the trust in my absence but other than that I can't see a benefit as they are going to require CLEO sign off post June.

Would it be worth getting the trust asap and getting my suppressors on forms and in before June???

OR

Do I go ahead and put that money towards suppressors and go the NON trust way.

Just wanted to see your guys opinion on this as I am torn 50/50

THANKS

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    1) ATF likely will not act on anything until June, and we have no idea what that final rule may look like.

2) the difference between efile and hard copy approvals is pretty big, not to mention the insanity that is MSP signoff.

3) properly drafted nfa trusts are truly beneficial for purposes of passing on your nfa firearms. No probate and specifics if you, or any trustee, become prohibited.

My phone is dying, and there are more points. I am biased.

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    Efile is still a big plus for me. I've also heard horror stories about the msp wait. Never experienced it first hand. I don't regret having a trust done at all

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Fordfan

Oct 24, 2010
    AA county
    I am just anticipating the change in June and then everyone including those with trusts will have to deal with msp four the CLEO part.

Debating on doing the trust and getting what i can now while its less of a hassle. Ofcourse what I'm looking to purchase are out of stock

May 13, 2005
    Guess I'm late to this party, but what is the new law on trusts? Could someone sum it up in a few short concise sentences?

May 13, 2005
    It's possible they may still require a CLEO sign-off even when applying through a trust.

State law or at the federal level? So, it's just potential or it's set in stone? I guess I've heard rumors of this for a while, but never heard the hammer hit.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    NFA items and NFA Trusts are covered under Federal laws, not state.

Federal law require CLEO signoff (MSP or sheriff) for non trust firearms. What may change is the BATFE policy.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    So is it advisable to set up the Trust now to try to get around the CLEO/fingerprint and then worry about others on the trust and additions to the trust later? Will you have to get CLEO approval down the road even though the trust was set up before the proposed June date for additions to schedule A? I'm not planning on purchasing very many NFA items, maybe a SBR and a suppressor. I'm not opposed to getting fingerprinted and what not. I already have my HQL. I just don't like walking into police barracks...

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    So is it advisable to set up the Trust now to try to get around the CLEO/fingerprint and then worry about others on the trust and additions to the trust later? Will you have to get CLEO approval down the road even though the trust was set up before the proposed June date for additions to schedule A? I'm not planning on purchasing very many NFA items, maybe a SBR and a suppressor. I'm not opposed to getting fingerprinted and what not. I already have my HQL. I just don't like walking into police barracks...

If you are on the fence, I would advise getting one now vs down the road. The NFA trust can accommodate multiple trustees now, the only issue may come down the road IF ATF requires all "responsible persons" to submit the information. If your desire is to avoid the MSP signoff (and attendant months-long wait), now is the time.

We have no idea what, if anything, the final rule will entail. If it is adopted as proposed, any future NFA item owned by the trust would require that trustees submit everything an individual has to submit now. You still have the added benefit of multiple people allowed to possess the NFA items outside of your presence, even if adopted as proposed. CLEO approval requirements would be determined by the date of filing the forms, not the date the Trust was created.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    The month long MSP wait is now at 4+ months for my 2 cans.

Good catch, I meant, "months-long wait."

Regardless what the nice people tell you about "four to six weeks," it looks like it's a little out of order for some people, but four to six MONTHS seems to be the new normal. It's an insane process on both the MSP and BATFE paper filing wait-times. 4-6 months + 9-12 months = 13-18 MONTHS for an individual that paper files. That is literally insane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom