• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • klmo1990

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 22, 2014
    I'm Going To the timonium gun show in a few weeks and I'm looking to buy a security six or gp100. Can anyone tell me what would be considered a good price in this area for either?

klmo1990

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 22, 2014
    That's around what I was thinking. I've been reading that a used security six is around 400

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Expect to pay 10 - 15% more at the show than you would in a good local gun shop...

And, from past experience, I doubt that there will be any on hand to buy...

They'll have to order one for you...

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    not sure of a good price these days, but a security six will do you right.

That and my old ruger police caribine were my camping guns for a long time. A lot of people gave the security six crap because certain non critical parts were investment cast, but just for the record Ruger is by far not the only firearm maker that did this to bring quality to the market at value prices.

To hear the propaganda from S&W fanboys and almost certainly employees, you'd think ruger was making the things in their basements with thumb tacks and chewed juicy-fruit for welds.

Anyways, that security six is one of the guns I am most disappointed in myself for selling. I ended up getting some flavor of the week with the proceeds. Makes me feel like a traitor looking back on it.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    just think, you'll be able to finally use the coveted and mysterious
    "RUGER ONLY" loads at the end of the listings in the reloading manual entries for .357 magnum if you go with the GP-100

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I would rather have a Security Six than a GP100, and they're cheaper. I owned a GP100 many years ago, and loved it, too.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Love my GP 100 4". Shoot it more than my S&W 586 though the 586 has a better trigger.

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    Between the two I would hold out and look for a Security Six. GP100 are heavy and don't feel as balanced as the Security Six.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    The security six is lighter weight. The GP100 is built like a tank. Buy the one that really appeals to *YOU*.

I picked the big 6" stainless GP100 over 20yrs ago and still have it. *I* love the full underlug look and the extra weight counters the recoil nicely. Still runs like new and I have shot some crazy hot silhouette loads out of it. S&Ws do generally have crisper triggers (esp. the performance center versions but thats not an apples to apples fight.)

klmo1990

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 22, 2014
    I like the look of the security six alot better. Plus it'd be like 100 dollars cheaper. I think I'm gonna hold out for one

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom