• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yournamehere

Feb 27, 2013
    Carroll County
    I had made my mind up to get the SDN-6, but I have been looking at the Saker as of late. Any opinions? Primary host will be a 300blk SBR.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The db reduction is similar. I'd buy whatever is available as NFA stuff tales so friggin' long. The SDN 6 is slightly cheaper.

I was gonna buy a Tirant 45, but my FFL got an Osprey 45 first, so that's what I bought. I bought an SDN 6 before the Saker was available.. Either will be great IMO

YMMV.

yournamehere

Feb 27, 2013
    Carroll County
    I can get the Saker for a $100 more than the SDN. Both are available. It seems the MAAD mount on the Saker may be better than the 51T mount. Hoping to get some first hand knowledge.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I have heard the same thing. I've seen some griping about the 51T mount not staying tight, but no first hand knowledge. Some have reported zero issues. My cans are stuck in NFA purgatory.

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    I am biased as the only center fire rifle can I have is a Saker 556. I have never used the 51T mount, but I have heard of some issues with "wobble". The Saker mount is very good. One handed 2/3rd of a rotation to full lock up. Muzzle devices for the Saker are a bit less expensive also.

Last edited:

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Good question OP, debating the same thing myself.

The Saker seems to be a slightly improved SDN-6 with some additional features but the sound reduction seems to be about the same.

If the mount locks up as solidly and consistently as advertised I'd go Saker. I haven't bought one yet but that's the direction I'm heading.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Saker762. It has a better, rock solid, compression mounting system. Baffles are made of Stellite which is 30% stronger than Inconel. The Trifecta flashider and Trifecta brake are more affordable than AAC's options. To top it off, Silencerco's customer service is outstanding.

My opinion may be a bit biased as I've already decided on a Saker762 for myself. But I thought that my Saker556 could use a big brother.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Between those two cans, you will probably be happy with either. They are both top quality, perform well and will last a lifetime.

As for my view, on a rifle can, I always tell people the same thing. I highly doubt that you will hear any difference with 2-3 decibels at the muzzle, but I guarantee you will feel 2-3 ounces... and you will not like it. The cans you are looking at are relatively light compared to some, but still a solid 5oz heavier than titanium comparables. They may cost a bit more, but IMO, pay more and go titanium.

I speak from some experience. I was very unhappy with the weight of the stainless can I bought for my blackout SBR... that big heavy hunk of iron destroys the gun's handling characteristics. I ended up buying a titanium can a couple months after the stamp came through on my stainless one. Buy once!

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Between those two cans, you will probably be happy with either. They are both top quality, perform well and will last a lifetime.

As for my view, on a rifle can, I always tell people the same thing. I highly doubt that you will hear any difference with 2-3 decibels at the muzzle, but I guarantee you will feel 2-3 ounces... and you will not like it. The cans you are looking at are relatively light compared to some, but still a solid 5oz heavier than titanium comparables. They may cost a bit more, but IMO, pay more and go titanium.

I speak from some experience. I was very unhappy with the weight of the stainless can I bought for my blackout SBR... that big heavy hunk of iron destroys the gun's handling characteristics. I ended up buying a titanium can a couple months after the stamp came through on my stainless one. Buy once!

+1 on that big time! The same thing happened to me, I bought a Tactical Innovations TAC-16 stainless steel suppressor as my first one, which weighs in at almost 24oz. Never again! On short barreled rifles, 10 inches or less, the heaviness of a suppressor is not so bad, as the balance of the whole rifle is closer to the center. Now, on a rifle with a "normal" barrel length of 16 inches or greater, it's an absolute BOAT ANCHOR!!! I can't imagine a similar weight suppressor on a full size 7.62 rifle. It probably wouldn't be much fun to shoot and carry around all day. This is also the reason I went with a titanium can, and "o yeah" what a huge difference, especially on rifles with a longer barrel, such as hunting rifles. The Ti suppressor I bought is a Gemtech Quicksand, which is by no means is the quietest suppressor, but it has an awesome selection of QD mounts for different rifles, and it's super light. The SilencerCo Saker 762 and the AAC 762-SDN-6 (border-line too heavy in my opinion), both have decent weights, but do yourself a favor and stop by a Class III dealer with a Ti can in stock, you just might change your mind.

BTW: Good heavy-ass stainless steel suppressors are good for high temp uses, like mag dumps on machineguns ;)

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia

+1 on that big time! The same thing happened to me, I bought a Tactical Innovations TAC-16 stainless steel suppressor as my first one, which weighs in at almost 24oz. Never again! On short barreled rifles, 10 inches or less, the heaviness of a suppressor is not so bad, as the balance of the whole rifle is closer to the center. Now, on a rifle with a "normal" barrel length of 16 inches or greater, it's an absolute BOAT ANCHOR!!! I can't imagine a similar weight suppressor on a full size 7.62 rifle. It probably wouldn't be much fun to shoot and carry around all day. This is also the reason I went with a titanium can, and "o yeah" what a huge difference, especially on rifles with a longer barrel, such as hunting rifles. The Ti suppressor I bought is a Gemtech Quicksand, which is by no means is the quietest suppressor, but it has an awesome selection of QD mounts for different rifles, and it's super light. The SilencerCo Saker 762 and the AAC 762-SDN-6 (border-line too heavy in my opinion), both have decent weights, but do yourself a favor and stop by a Class III dealer with a Ti can in stock, you just might change your mind.

BTW: Good heavy-ass stainless steel suppressors are good for high temp uses, like mag dumps on machineguns ;)

Yeah you both have good points. I liked the suppression of the Specwar 7.62 but weight savings is why I started looking at the Saker 762 instead. The Saker isn’t light at ~21 ozs but I thought it would be a nice middle ground b/c it would mostly be sitting on a 9” 300 blk.

My barrel length is why I still consider the Specwar sometimes. It suppresses great but the cost is 24 ozs and 9” (which my 9” bbl would only partially offset).

I wish the Ti options suppressed a little quieter but you both have good points.

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    I have the 762 SD(previous generation) on a 51T mount for .308. Using subsonic, I can shoot all day without hearing protection. Takes it down to .22 or a little less decibel level. I hope to borrow a decibel meter one day and do a test. I have never had a problem with the can coming loose.

I read reviews after I bought it(impulse buy while on a trip). I was a bit nervous because of the many unfavorable reviews. Well I don't know what the negative-nancies where doing but I am extremely happy with mine. Every time I pull the trigger it makes me smile because I can't believe how quiet it is. :D

That being said, this is the only suppressor I have. I have friends with suppressors but they shoot smaller calibers so it is not a fair comparison.

Good luck! The sooner you buy the sooner you can wait a year to get your stamp!

peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo
    I have heard the same thing. I've seen some griping about the 51T mount not staying tight, but no first hand knowledge. Some have reported zero issues. My cans are stuck in NFA purgatory.

I am biased as the only center fire rifle can I have is a Saker 556. I have never used the 51T mount, but I have heard of some issues with "wobble". The Saker mount is very good. One handed 2/3rd of a rotation to full lock up. Muzzle devices for the Saker are a bit less expensive also.

I have no complaints about the AAC 51T mount. I've got about 10 of them on different guns/uppers for use with the 762SDN-6 and M4-2000.

My n6 is a ****ing paper weight because of the wobble. For general range blasting and CQB you wil love the 51T mount but attempt to do any means of measurable precision and it will swiftly become your worst enemy.

Do yourself a favor and skip QD all together and get a direct thread can!

yournamehere

Feb 27, 2013
    Carroll County
    Thank you all for the great advice and your opinions. I thought this may help but it's only making it worse. I had made up my mind to get the SDN-6 but then the Saker caught my eye after I read about various issues of the 51T mount.

Now thanks to you folks I have started to also look at the YHM Phantom in titanium.

My head hurts!!!!!:confused:

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Thank you all for the great advice and your opinions. I thought this may help but it's only making it worse. I had made up my mind to get the SDN-6 but then the Saker caught my eye after I read about various issues of the 51T mount.

Now thanks to you folks I have started to also look at the YHM Phantom in titanium.

My head hurts!!!!!:confused:

Good! Don't make the same mistakes we did. I wish I had these kind of opinions when I bought my first suppressor. Like I stated, do yourself a favor and go by a Class III dealer and check out their Ti suppressors before making any final decision. You also need to ask yourself some other questions. Like, is this only going on one rifle? If so, get a direct thread supressor to save some weight and money. If it's going on multiple rifles, what is the thread pitch of each rifle? Not all Ti suppressor manufactures make a decent selection of QD mounts. This is what drew me to the Quicksand, as I have a lot of different rifles, such as the HK 93/91, AK-47/74, FN FAL/FNC, VEPR 54R, Winchester M70 30-06 (hunting rifle). All of which have different thread pitches. Some more food for thought :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom