• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave T

On Target's rules state that all guns must be unloaded before entering the premise. I thought a loaded mag qualified as being "loaded". They haven't checked my bag lately, but then again, lately I've been renting when I go there. Been a while since I've taken one of mine there, but I thought that when I did they checked my mags.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Most ranges I've visited have a "no loaded mags" rule. I'm assuming he meant going in to the building with loaded mags.

I've seen "no loaded guns" quite often. I've never seen "no loaded mags" anywhere else though. He had me place my gun cases on the counter and snapped at me not to touch them. Then he checked my range box to see my mags.

Ironically, the friend I went with was the one who taught me to load mags in advance to save time at the range.

I'm all for each range setting their own rules, but after getting the lecture about how MSP busts people for loaded mags even though they're no different than boxes of ammo from the same guy who made me empty my mags outside, I realized that they simply had no clue or were looking to overcharge. (i.e. they say loaded mags are harmless but don't allow them anyways)

S1owJam

Bad Man Stopper Man
    Jan 10, 2013
    Abingdon, MD
    I've seen "no loaded guns" quite often. I've never seen "no loaded mags" anywhere else though. He had me place my gun cases on the counter and snapped at me not to touch them. Then he checked my range box to see my mags.

Ironically, the friend I went with was the one who taught me to load mags in advance to save time at the range.

I'm all for each range setting their own rules, but after getting the lecture about how MSP busts people for loaded mags even though they're no different than boxes of ammo from the same guy who made me empty my mags outside, I realized that they simply had no clue or were looking to overcharge. (i.e. they say loaded mags are harmless but don't allow them anyways)
    yeah they were pretty wrong in that instance.

loading mags at the range might save you what, 2 minutes if you're loading 4-5 mags? Unless you're loading like 10 mags, I don't see how that time makes that much difference.

mtnwisdom

Sep 9, 2012
    Sparrows Point
    ^^^I've always brought loaded mags to OnTarget and FreeState. Never had an issue. I would never go to a range that doesn't allow loaded mags unless they charge a flat fee.

Then you haven't been there in the recent past. Big sign right on the door-no loaded mags allowed.

Before the sign, I went in about 3 months ago and was chastised for having loaded mags and that it was illegal to transport that way...

BadShot25

Oct 9, 2008
    Then you haven't been there in the recent past. Big sign right on the door-no loaded mags allowed.

Before the sign, I went in about 3 months ago and was chastised for having loaded mags and that it was illegal to transport that way...
    True I haven't been there in a while. Last time I was there they didn't even check my bookbag that has all the mags. They just checked the guns. Same experience with OnTarget.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    Tips for ranges with retarded policies:

"No Loaded Mags!" - Leave one or two unloaded to show, load the rest and put them in a different section of your range bag.

"TMJ Only! (back in the old H&M days)" - Buy a few boxes of TMJ and save the boxes. Slip the trays from your FMJ ammo in the boxes before you leave for the range.

:tongue01:

S1owJam

Bad Man Stopper Man
    Jan 10, 2013
    Abingdon, MD
    I don't see the issues with not loading the mags before going to the range. Like I mentioned before, if it's a time issue, you're saving maybe 2 minutes.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    and I don't see the issue with having them loaded :shrug:

That's how most of them are stored at my house, why should I unload them just to reload them after I enter the building when it's perfectly legal to transport loaded magazines?

They used to tell you it was against the law, then when that didn't work it was just store policy.

S1owJam

Bad Man Stopper Man
    Jan 10, 2013
    Abingdon, MD
    and I don't see the issue with having them loaded :shrug:

That's how most of them are stored at my house, why should I unload them just to reload them after I enter the building when it's perfectly legal to transport loaded magazines?

They used to tell you it was against the law, then when that didn't work it was just store policy.

I'm with ya, however I don't think something like that is worth anyone getting riled up over. That's a pretty minor store policy.

I can see their reasoning, for indoor ranges not allowing steel cores to be shot, if you have loaded mags, how do they know you don't have them? Even if you're a regular, then they're starting to show favoritism to customers. That's just bad for business all around.

SoMd Ed

Apr 29, 2010

Had the same issue at On Target a while ago as well. Nothing like being chastised by someone who doesn't know the law.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    The only thing I've ever been chastised for at OnTarget was being in the vicinity of a handgun (I'm 20) while my "adult supervisor" stepped out to get more targets. :sad20:

I understand why (the law), but the lady got all flustered, like the MSP was going to come repelling through the window if I touched it.
    :shrug:

silanehead

Sarcastic Member
    Oct 24, 2012
    Dundalk
    It would be hard to do a magnet test on ammo loaded in a mag. I would not put it past somebody to load half a mag with bi-metal then a few fmj's on top.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    Are you guys showing them your mags? I've never been asked to see them. Never been to select fire though.

I'm a member at Freestate and in the last year have only had mags checked once, they were in the gun case not the range bag.

I don't carry loaded mags, I usually shoot at either AGC or Freestate so time is not an issue for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom