• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm getting back into 3-gun, now that I have a proper shotgun. It's been three years since my last match :sad20: and I'm not as up on it as I used to be, so how much ammunition should I be bringing per match? I know they usually announce the round count, but they used to average 100 pistol, 30 shotgun, 100 rifle. Is this still the case? Trying to plan out my reloading now before the season starts so I'm not caught flat-footed in the middle of the year. Thanks.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I'm getting back into 3-gun, now that I have a proper shotgun. It's been three years since my last match :sad20: and I'm not as up on it as I used to be, so how much ammunition should I be bringing per match? I know they usually announce the round count, but they used to average 100 pistol, 30 shotgun, 100 rifle. Is this still the case? Trying to plan out my reloading now before the season starts so I'm not caught flat-footed in the middle of the year. Thanks.
    Maybe. My rule was always to bring 2x the amount of each to the match. That is because many times the stage can be shot more than one way. Paper can be engaged by either pistol or rifle. Steel can be engaged by either shotgun or pistol. Both those scenarios can affect what you shoot. Sometimes the mix of targets favors continuing with one particular gun instead of switching. Depends on where the dump barrels are for the stage even.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    from peacemaker's site:
    100 rifle, 50 shot (#6 or smaller) 5 Slugs Minimum 100 handgun

I normally bring a couple extra boxes of each just in case, as noted above sometimes you'll use more of one and less of another depending on the choices available.

I preload maybe 5-6 pmags with 55g ball (so at least one per stage) and then 1-2 20 and 30 round pmags with 75-77g for the stuff where a little longer range accuracy is needed.

and even if you bring extra ammo, just leave it in your vehicle and you can always run back between stages if you need more, no need to schlep it the whole match.

justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    Many use carts for the 3-Gun matches. You have to lug a bunch of stuff, ammo included. I have not bought a cart yet but I plan to. I think 2x the estimate is a good idea at all the PNTC action shooting matches. I have ran out of ammo more than once :(

This year, I hope to compete in the 2-Gun matches more. I have a nice 3-Gun shotgun but that seems to be the part of the match I like the least. The 2-Gun matches go quicker and stress more of an IDPA (real life) mindset. Just wanted to mention as an alternative to bringing more equipment and ammo.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    This year, I hope to compete in the 2-Gun matches more. I have a nice 3-Gun shotgun but that seems to be the part of the match I like the least. The 2-Gun matches go quicker and stress more of an IDPA (real life) mindset. Just wanted to mention as an alternative to bringing more equipment and ammo.

I'd like to hit those, too. Shotgun has been my nemesis in both 3-Gun and Cowboy Action. I'm hoping to fill all of my weekends with at least one match. If there are no conflicts, I'm hitting some steel and USPSA matches at Quantico, too.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    from peacemaker's site:
    100 rifle, 50 shot (#6 or smaller) 5 Slugs Minimum 100 handgun

I normally bring a couple extra boxes of each just in case, as noted above sometimes you'll use more of one and less of another depending on the choices available.

I preload maybe 5-6 pmags with 55g ball (so at least one per stage) and then 1-2 20 and 30 round pmags with 75-77g for the stuff where a little longer range accuracy is needed.

and even if you bring extra ammo, just leave it in your vehicle and you can always run back between stages if you need more, no need to schlep it the whole match.
    So far I have not bothered with the 69g+ at 3-gun matches even through I have a good amount.
    I have found that even to 400y I hit in only 1-2 shots with WM Fed .223 bulk and 300 and under I can often hit as many as 6 plates in a row with the stuff. Only time I ever shot anything over 55g was at that 2012 PTNC Precision Tactical match I shot before my first 3-gun match and I shot Rem Ultramax 68g reloads.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I don't know about recently but when I shot before they only included slug targets about every other event. However I brought them just in case. My cart has a storage area under the baby seat that I use for extra ammo.
    I have not shot a PNTC 3-gun match in about a year due to a killer one they had early that year. However I am thinking I need to do one before the rescheduled York 3m/3g event.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    So far I have not bothered with the 69g+ at 3-gun matches even through I have a good amount.
    I have found that even to 400y I hit in only 1-2 shots with WM Fed .223 bulk and 300 and under I can often hit as many as 6 plates in a row with the stuff. Only time I ever shot anything over 55g was at that 2012 PTNC Precision Tactical match I shot before my first 3-gun match and I shot Rem Ultramax 68g reloads.

Fortunately, I have a lot of 55gr FMJs loaded up, since it appears a LOT of places are out of the lighter stuff. I can still get 69gr and heavier bullets, in bulk, but not the lighter stuff.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I am lucky because my Burris MTAC scope's Ballistic CQ reticle has accuracy data out to 600 yards for the BDC dots for several ammos from 55g-77g and they have not proven bad yet. Plus the dots work good at specific distances inside 50 yards also.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm thinking of bringing 5 x 30 round mags and 2 x 20 round mags loaded up, all 4 of my pistol mags loaded up with another 100 rounds in a box, and 4 boxes of shotgun shells with 2 boxes of slugs to each match. I can save time between stages by having the rifle mags pre-loaded, but can't really do that with the shotgun or my limited number of pistol mags. Does this sound reasonable?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Yes. But I never preload mags not knowing what the local laws are about transporting firearms with loaded mags. I used to use 30 rd. Pmags exclusively but switched to Lancer see-thru 30 rd. mags in 2013 except for my 48 rd Nordic extended Pmag and my 2 later 40 rd. Pmags. Mainly because I often shoot Open division where you are not limited to 30 rd mag capacity. I keep 20 rd Lancers for when I have to shoot prone. Love hate relationship with AR mags. Lancers have metal feed lips so they always work and won't change. But they have stiffer bodies so if loaded to capacity you can't often get the mag to seat properly if the bolt is closed because there is not a lot of give in the mag body. So you have to load with the bolt back which you can only do if you are starting a stage with the rifle in hand. If you have to stage the AR on the course you can only put 29 in the Lancers. Pmags have enough flex to work thru that but the plastic parts will eventually wear out. I prefer the Lancers because I can see the number of rounds left where as with the Pmags you only have the small window in that particular model of Pmag (otherwise you don't have any way except to fee the weight).
    My belt load out only has one FAB Defense AR mag carrier because I load the rifle using a mag from one of my pants pockets. I only carry 2 pistol mag pouches for the same reason on my belt loading the initial mag from a pocket. Everything else but the pistol holster is a shotgun ammo carrier. Usually 8 shells in Load2 and 12 shells in 2 6 shell carriers plus an extra 4 shell carrier for slugs. This year I can add 2 4 shell Quadload carriers also maybe, but my hand does not like holding that many.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have a battle belt with three 4x4 shell holders. I don't have a problem loading and feeding 4 shells, just can't do the 2 at a time thing as I don't like holding my shotgun like a violin. Back when there wasn't a restriction on holsters at Peacemaker, I used the battle belt with a 2-pistol mag holder with the shell holders on one side, then flip it so I had 2-pistol mag holders and one rifle mag holder at the ready. Since the holster was on my leg, it was easy to make the change.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    what is peacemaker's holster restriction? I thought it was pretty much everything goes for 3 gun (other than shoulder or weak side where one would be muzzling others when drawing).

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Just checked again. "The FNH Championship 3 Gun match rules will be in effect." They mention no shoulder or cross draw holsters, but are ambiguous with this "The belt
    upon which the handgun holster is attached must be worn at waist level." Doesn't say anything about thigh rigs, but better safe than sorry.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Just checked again. "The FNH Championship 3 Gun match rules will be in effect." They mention no shoulder or cross draw holsters, but are ambiguous with this "The belt
    upon which the handgun holster is attached must be worn at waist level." Doesn't say anything about thigh rigs, but better safe than sorry.

The belt must be at the waist. I use drop/offset holsters; pretty common stuff. I've shot FNH, 3GN, IPSC, and BRM rules, and have never had a problem with my holsters.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    The belt must be at the waist. I use drop/offset holsters; pretty common stuff. I've shot FNH, 3GN, IPSC, and BRM rules, and have never had a problem with my holsters.
    If it says "belt at waist only" then thigh rigs should be Ok as long as they have positive retention straps. The only positives about drop leg holsters is it frees up more area on your belt for stuff and if you had to sling the rifle (not in FNH rules) it would interfer with the pistol holster less. The negative is you can't draw as fast as you can with a positive retention race holster on the belt (main reason the pros don't use them).

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Due to issues with shoulder rotation, it's harder for me to draw a full sized pistol from a standard belt holster. And while pro action shooters don't use them, Buscadero rigs are the norm for fast draw shooters :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom