• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I picked up my new to me FN Tactical shotgun yesterday. It is unfired, and has the "skeet" piston in it. I've heard that the break in should be 15 rounds of buckshot then it will shoot low-brass shells with no problem. This is from several 3-gun sights. Just checking with the folks here, is this the case? Can I use high-brass bird shot, like Remington Express, instead of buck shot? Will I finally finish a 3-gun stage without having a problem with my shotgun?

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I didn't run any buckshot to break mine in. It would only not cycle some really light stuff right out of the box.
    Run what you have for break in. Just get it cycling. Also, I would clean it up a bit first. Mine was kind of gunky with packing grease forward of the breech. You only want a very very light amount of lube up there. I over oiled mine once with bad results when it was new. Breech back, wet. Breech forward, almost dry.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Keep me posted please. I bought one late last year and haven't fired it yet. I usually use low recoil buckshot so I'm curious which buffer I should be using.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The original owner never fired it, but he cleaned it up real good. The shotgun was bone dry when I got it. He included the original FN hard case and all of the goodies that go with it. If the weather ever clears up, I'm going this weekend to the range to run it, along with two or three other shotguns. Fortunately, Sharpshooters lets you shoot birdshot at their indoor range. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Keep me posted please. I bought one late last year and haven't fired it yet. I usually use low recoil buckshot so I'm curious which buffer I should be using.

According to the manual, you use the skeet buffer for loads up to 1 1/8 ounce, heavier requires the magnum buffer. From what I've read, the heavier buffer will work with standard and 3" buckshot, and it's not as bad recoil wise as a pump.

deltapeej

Feb 17, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I have around 2000 rounds through my SLP. Using the light buffer it still will not cycle cheap target loads reliably. Luckily I have had no problem finding Federal or Remington shot which the gun loves. Even though mine is picky in which ammo it likes I still love the gun.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    fnslp2_zpsdijdx1wp.jpg

fnslp1_zpsvlxljesi.jpg

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I broke mine in with a couple of boxes of cheap Federal Wally World shells. Later, I changed the recoil system to a Surecycle System with extra light spring to shoot 7/8 loads, but otherwise it runs. I haven't "sealed" the piston like many do. (I do have a spare piston I may send out to get sealed, as a backup.)

Just keep it *clean*.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Here's my range report. Instead of burning my precious stock of high-brass bird shot, I went to Gander Mountain to get 25 slugs. 15 rounds of Remington Sluggers and 10 rounds of Federal slugs. 10 rounds of the Remingtons and 5 rounds of Federals and they're good to go. I brought several brands of shotshells with me. First up were the Winchester White Box shells. FTEs and FTFs, so they got put to the side. Estate 1 oz loads cycled perfectly. Remington 1 oz loads worked great, and Rios worked, too. A guy next to me had some Federal 7/8 oz loads and they cycled fine, too. Fortunately, I stocked up on the Estate shells so I'm set for a while. This was all with the Skeet buffer installed. Two things bugged me about this shotgun. The forked lifter, and the checkering on the stock and handguard were like holding a rasp. I'm definitely getting the lifter welded later this year. Recoil with the slugs was stout but better than a pump or single shot. All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with this shotgun. It just needs some mods to make it perfect for 3-gun.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Nice boom stick.:thumbsup:

Needs a pistol grip and shoulder thing that goes up.:innocent0

I have a pistol grip on my 870 Supermag. I've tried loading it under pressure and the pistol grip gets in the way, so the stock is staying stock on the FN. I did figure out how to load a 9th shell so it stays on the carrier under the bolt.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I actually sanded the checkering down a little on mine. Many people get a lifter welded up for these guns. I epoxied a thin delrin strip to mine to cover the thumb grabbing fork.

I could not tell you how many rounds mine had through it at this point. It runs whatever I throw at it. It did not like a few light loads initially but it has broken in great.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I would suggest you run some Remington #6 Express loads thru it also, meaning 1-1/8 oz loads because on some of the steel knock off targets because they are heavy and have a lip on them you need to run the biggest load you have with a full choke (#6 is the biggest shot you are allowed). Always take about 2 boxes of these also unless you are really good with a shotgun because being off by as little as a few inches might not knock them off their stands. As for slugs there are 2 levels full power (1500-1600 FPS) and light recoil (1150-1300 FPS) and they both shoot to different POI at 50 yards which is what the slug steel is set to. Just in case you should know how to shoot each and hit with them.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for the tip, Photoracer. I'm just going with the Remington Slugsters since they're cheap and they work. Do they mix slugs and shots during stages? When I shot at Cavalier, they had the slugs on a separate stage from the shot stages.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Just an update. I shot a 3-Gun match at Cavalier this past Saturday. The shotgun ran fine for the most part. Had a partial feed on one stage, so I'm guessing she needs some cleaning. And of course I forgot the heavy 6 shot so the cans were tough targets.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Mine is still for sale, unfired. Sadly I had a chance to shoot one after I bought mine and found that I just don't care for it. Glad yours is serving your needs well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom