• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Jim,
    The biggest thing that I need to stress, regarding LSWC in the 1911/1911A1 platform, is the barrel throat.

In the picture below (not my pic, I 'borrowed it' from the 'net), the barrel throat/chamber on the LEFT is throated for WC or LSWC boolits. I refer to it as a "C" on it's back.
    The barrel throat/chamber shown on the right, is set up for "hardball" or RN boolits. (Note how the throat is shaped like a "U".)
    IF your barrel is throated this way, you MAY (more than likely) have problems feeding/chambering WC loads in your pistol.

I need to check, but I did cycle some of the dummy SWCs in my RO, seemed to work as is.

Unless you have some of those 'new-fangled' small primer .45 acp cases, your small pistol primers ain't gonna work. You need LP primers for .45 acp.

The SP primers are for the 9mm I picked up a few weeks ago. I have Winchester LP primers in stock already.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Yeah, but for some odd reason I trust folks here more than a random guy on the Interwebz.
    I was thinking more along the lines of genuine articles that talk about it, but I understand that getting direct feedback from the guys here on MDS is something you'd like - I do the same thing on occasion.

Whether I shoot 185, 200, or 230 grain bullets, proper charges of Bullseye has never failed to perform well.
    Bullseye is a really nice all around pistol powder IMO - it's never going to be particularly fast or hard hitting, but all of the .38 spc and .45 ACP I've reloaded with it has been really nice.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    With .45 and cast bullets at major power factor you can still use fast powders and still maintain low pressures. I use a lot of WST and Red Dot with 200gr LSWC and 230gr LRN. Both are very fast and make PF at similarly low charge weights. Red dot is a bit faster and will make major with as low as 4gr with the LSWC at 1.125 in my range officer. Magnum or regular primers did not make a big enough PF difference to matter.

I know others have loaded far more, but I've personally loaded a few thousand rounds of .45 ACP with Red Dot and 230 grain LRN and LSWC bullets. My normal load is 4.1 grains of Red Dot with regular primers. My handloads feed well in my 1911, and also in my Beretta CX4 Storm carbine.

I also keep a stock of W-231 that I use for Cowboy loads in both .45 Colt and .38 Special.

JoeR

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "Bullseye is a really nice all around pistol powder IMO - it's never going to be particularly fast or hard hitting, but all of the .38 spc and .45 ACP I've reloaded with it has been really nice."

That's why I stay with it. Great powder. But I alway wanted to try the Red Dot.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Bullseye is a really nice all around pistol powder IMO - it's never going to be particularly fast or hard hitting, but all of the .38 spc and .45 ACP I've reloaded with it has been really nice.

I'm the same way with Unique. I stocked up on Unique before the last crush, so I've been using it in my .40 and .38 loads.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    "Bullseye is a really nice all around pistol powder IMO - it's never going to be particularly fast or hard hitting, but all of the .38 spc and .45 ACP I've reloaded with it has been really nice."

That's why I stay with it. Great powder. But I alway wanted to try the Red Dot.

Red Dot works in a lot of applications, and very well in a number of them. But metering (especially small charge metering) can be a PITA. Of the two powders mentioned, my preference is definitely Bullseye.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Update: I loaded up 50 LSWCs with W231 and let it rip at the range Monday night. No problems, and the loads were accurate. Of course I only have 30 of those bullets left, so more will be ordered.

quickdraw17

I'd rather be shooting...
    Jun 24, 2013
    I use 230 grain plated RN over 4.9 grains of W231, Federal primers. Works good in the gun, seems pretty accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom