• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cbreeze

Most Exalted Empress
    Mar 30, 2009
    PG County
    I am thinking of reselling some ammunition that I will not be shooting to a friend. We are both MD residents. Quantity is likely to be between one and two cases. Does anyone know of any legal prohibitions? Would it be different if I sold it to a friend who lives in VA?

I've done a search in MD code and couldn't find anything, but wanted to double check.

Many thanks.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    So long as he's not a prohibited person, you'd be good to go.

IANAL

just curious, what does being prohibited have to do with it? I can walk into Walmart and purchase ammo without any ID or check beyond being over 21 for handgun ammo. And ammunition is not serialized... what am I missing here?

Cbreeze

Most Exalted Empress
    Mar 30, 2009
    PG County
    Thanks. No, not prohibited persons. I am actually taking stock right now and I have more ammo than I thought . . . :innocent0 . . so more than a couple of cases. Is there any quantity limit?

Also, any issues across state lines (friend in VA)?

I am thinking about moving and movers won't ship it, apparently.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    just curious, what does being prohibited have to do with it? I can walk into Walmart and purchase ammo without any ID or check beyond being over 21 for handgun ammo. And ammunition is not serialized... what am I missing here?

I wouldn't want to be the guy that knowingly sells ammo to a prohibited person.

shooter56

Aug 28, 2015
    just curious, what does being prohibited have to do with it?

Maryland Code 5-133.1 Restrictions on possession of ammunition

(b) In general. -- A person may not possess ammunition if the person is prohibited from possessing a regulated firearm under § 5-133 (b) or (c) of this subtitle.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware

(b) In general. -- A person may not possess ammunition if the person is prohibited from possessing a regulated firearm under § 5-133 (b) or (c) of this subtitle.

Do stores in Maryland do a NICS check when someone buys ammo?

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    IANAL, but what does the quoted passage have to do with selling ammo? What would the seller be charged with, and what would be the penalty?

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    he should be OK to sell the ammo to anyone he pleases.

I would suggest not knowingly selling to a prohibited person. Some family will surely want to sue you if the buyer goes on a shooting spree. And your name may be mentioned in the media if the buyer gives up your name after possible shooting spree. Just not worth it. ;)

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    WoW!!! Way to muddy a simple question guys!! Y'all are about as efficient as a bunch of lawyers in a committee meeting.

You have ammo, he has money. Use common sense.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    I would suggest not knowingly selling to a prohibited person. Some family will surely want to sue you if the buyer goes on a shooting spree. And your name may be mentioned in the media if the buyer gives up your name after possible shooting spree. Just not worth it. ;)

Agreed. My choice of words were poor. Of course any law abiding gun owner should never sell to someone that they know is "prohibited".

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    IANAL, but what does the quoted passage have to do with selling ammo? What would the seller be charged with, and what would be the penalty?

The seller wouldn't. This is one of those laws to tack onto an illegal handgun possession charge (which they barely follow through with anyways :sad20:).

Can't own the gun, can't own the ammo. I believe it is one count/charge per bullet as well (IANAL). At least that is why I thought BPD displays each round in evidence photos.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    The "10 years per bullet" was from the movie "Training Day."

I've heard it numerous times in varying ways being used in reference to the law.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    OK. My point was that if the law doesn't require a store to do a NICS check for ammo, he should be OK to sell the ammo to anyone he pleases.

Don't take this the wrong way... However...

It very well may be legal to sell matches to a pyromaniac too... It still does not mean that it is a smart thing to do. If you KNOW that the person is prohibited from possessing a firearm... WHY TF would you deem it appropriate to sell them ammunition?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom