• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe524

Apr 12, 2016
    North East
    Good evening,

New member and new resident here. First post. Don't want to violate any rules or redundancy as is with most. But, I would like to share my specific situation and conundrum and see if there may be some advice out there. I just moved here from Bragg, NC. I left my AR with my wife who's still living there for now. It was my first build and I began purchasing parts mid 2015 and once I had them all, I got with a gunsmith/teammate of mine and assembled it. It was magical. To see that much research, time, and effort (and $$$) come together and see it come to life. Then, to have it all taken away by moving here. Anyways, long story longer, since it's a frankengun and in essence 'manufactured' myself? Although the actual 'gun' is from SAI out of CA, what would be the best way to legalize it so I may bring it to MD?

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    The MGA is so concerned with Marylanders loosing weight, in its infinite wisdom has decreed "the more exercise, the better". Hence forth, all new AR in Maryland shall be heavy barrel.

(No, it does not make sense - Welcome to Maryland)

Now to really mess with you: We have to have a 7-day wait + registration/"not disapproved" for an AR lower even though said lower will be built into an HBAR configuration EVEN THOUGH A FULL HBAR RIFLE IS CASH-n-CARRY

Welcome to Maryland :D

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    If he's active duty military isn't he exempt from Md's stupid laws?

No. They are not.

OP:
    Without getting into all of the crazy specifics of the Maryland law, you can not bring an "Assault Weapon" in to Maryland unless you owned that "Assault Weapon" prior to October 1st, 2013.

An "Assault Weapon" is defined as being any of a number of "named" rifles, or "copycat Assault Weapons", which are defined as being a semiautomatic centerfire rifle capable of accepting detachable magazines and that is either a) less than 29" in overall length, or b) has any two or more of: a flash hider, a grenade launcher, or a folding (NOT collapsible) stock.

In your case, an AR15 is one of the "named" assault weapons, but there is a specific exemption carved out for heavy barrel AR15s. So your rifle, as it currently is, is banned here and you can't bring it. However, if you put an HBAR upper on it it is no longer banned (assuming that it's more than 29" in OAL and doesn't have more than one of the "evil features," which most ARs don't) and it would be fine to bring here.

What I would do, were I you and wanted to bring the rifle here, would be to buy an HBAR upper. Put that on the rifle so it is no longer banned, and leave your current upper at home in Bragg with your wife. Then when you move back there or elsewhere out of Maryland, you can put your rifle back as you'd like it.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    since you built it yourself you'll be able to tell us what barrel is currently on the rifle, then we will know for sure if it is an HBAR or not. if you wish to bring the rifle to MD, you will need to have an HBAR. so if it isn't already an HBAR, you'll want to sell the barrel on your AR and get yourself a new barrel, install it, then you are fine.

Joe524

Apr 12, 2016
    North East
    Second post. Woops. I meannnnt first post in this forum? No I wasn't 18 series. 11B team mate/squad mate, who was also gunsmith on the side. I was close, but not cigar with the 18-series, MOS phase.

Thank you for the replies and the information. It is a rainier arms CFH 14.5" barrel.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You will need to get an HBAR Barrel or complete Upper with an HBAR Barrel to bring it into MD.

HBAR Barrel means MARKED HBAR or it is Marketed/Advertised by a Manufacturer as HBAR.

Joe524

Apr 12, 2016
    North East
    I think HBAR complete upper is the way to go for my situation and based on all of your input. It may cost some, but I do wish to keep the 16" upper I built with the CHF barrel, Noveske Pig and BCM Kmod rail. I'll just spend the money and purchase an additional upper. Or can do SBR and register as such? Then I can have a different length profile and switch them out in the future when out of state or change residency.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I think HBAR complete upper is the way to go for my situation and based on all of your input. It may cost some, but I do wish to keep the 16" upper I built with the CHF barrel, Noveske Pig and BCM Kmod rail. I'll just spend the money and purchase an additional upper. Or can do SBR and register as such? Then I can have a different length profile and switch them out in the future when out of state or change residency.

I think that the SBR route may work. You will have to unpin the muzzle device on the 14.5" barrel if you want to use that as ypur SBR Upper.

The overall length of your SBR in MD must be 29"+ to get approved by ATF. In most cases 10.5" or longer barrels will make that limit. If you want to go shorter then you have to use longer collapsible stocks/pads and pin and weld muzzle devices to gain length.

NOTE: This may not be possible if the MSP has stated AR Pistols and SBRs must have an HBAR Profile too. Im not sure.

Joe524

Apr 12, 2016
    North East
    Based on other threads I have read. It has been quoted that there is no specificity to the SBRs being HBARs as well. I could be mistaken, but that is how I interpreted the print.
    As far as what would qualify this as an SBR. Currently my setup puts me at 29+ with the collapsible stock and the 16" OAL (14.5" barrel + 2" roughly Pig that's pinned). Forgive me if I sound ignorant, but are any changes necessary other than registering it as such with the form1 correct?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Based on other threads I have read. It has been quoted that there is no specificity to the SBRs being HBARs as well. I could be mistaken, but that is how I interpreted the print.
    As far as what would qualify this as an SBR. Currently my setup puts me at 29+ with the collapsible stock and the 16" OAL (14.5" barrel + 2" roughly Pig that's pinned). Forgive me if I sound ignorant, but are any changes necessary other than registering it as such with the form1 correct?

OAL on a MD and Federal Level is measured with the stock open and the muzzle device removed. The muzzle device only counts for barrel length and oal when permanenemy attached.

If you have a 14.5" Barrel and it does not have a permanent muzzle device its not legal.

I mentioned this because if the barrel is 16"+, with a permanent muzzle device, MD sees it as a rifle. It does not fall into the SBR category unless the barrel is shorter than 16.00".

Joe524

Apr 12, 2016
    North East
    Tracking,

It is a 14.5" Barrel with a permanent (pinned) muzzle device. With the stock open and measures 29"+, it can qualify and be registered as an SBR because of the barrel length being 14.5" is the magic number?

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    and it's not his first post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe524 has made 5 posts overall and they have all been in this thread. When he started this thread it was post #1, each subsequent post increases the post count by 1. If you have made 10,000 posts and you go back to your first post every and look at the post count it will show 10,000 posts.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Slap a heavy barrel upper on it and keep the old one. You can use the old one outside the state, (remember MD laws only apply in MD) and just slap the HBAR upper back on before you head home. Then sell it when you leave and donate the proceeds to MSI please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom