• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    Check with tractor supply. I know mine would deliver it but its just a couple of guys working at TSC looking for some extra cash. Yours might be the same

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I wanted to get a gun safe moved and the price they wanted was extremley high as luck would have it 5 young men that my son knew came to visit and they moved it like it was nothing

When I was enlisted in the Army, I helped move many super heavy GSA safes. We just did it by brute force, but honestly it was dangerous. Today, you need at least on person who has experience and knows what they are doing to get this job done right and safely.

Book lovers everywhere shed a tear...

Tears for the books... sure. She did say the best were 'Readers Digests'. :)

I was lucky enough to have my vendor recently install mine (I opted to pay the extra for the installation, mainly just to not have to deal with curbside/driveway dropoff). I am, however, looking at moving anywhere from 1-3 years from now, so will need to address this issue at some point. Perhaps a regular moving company might have the tools necessary to move it? Not sure if it'd be worth their time for what would amount to an hour or so's worth of work (depends if you're bolting it down yourself or not, and whether it's going up or down a level, or ground level).

Also, for what it's worth, traditional "gun safes" aren't really safes, in the expected sense. Underwriters Laboratory (that UL sticker you see on a bunch of stuff) classify most of them as Residential Security Containers, or RSCs. The main difference is that a team of dedicated thieves can probably pry into that thing or cut it open within 15-20 minutes tops (some have even been jacked into in less than a minute). However, that usually relies on it being on it's back with the door exposed upwards, allowing for leverage, etc. It also relies on the homeowner to be out of the house, and an alarm system to be absent, turned off, or not working.

I got a Liberty Lincoln and am satisfied with my purchase. It's part of an overall security solution for my place, which involves bolting it down to my concrete subfloor, a monitored security system, deadbolted doors, cameras, and my firearms.

For those interested in a true burglary safe (like they'd have at banks, jewelers, and pawn shops), you're looking at something different. This site has some good information on explaining the differences. Also a good guideline for what kind of safe to get depending on it's intended purpose can be found here:

If I get another safe at some point, I'm likely going for at least a TL-15 (which you can get used for significantly cheaper than new, bringing it in line with the existing top of the line new RSCs out there - Liberty, AMSEC, etc.)

Expert advice. I 100% agree.

Thank you.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Wonder how much work it'd be to make 3 walls and a top out of rebar reinforced concrete and then attach a vault style door to the front. It'd be completely permanent and totally AWESOME.

NickG

Feb 2, 2016
    Reinforced concrete vault

That would be totally awesome. And very hard to build, install, and expensive. Concrete like that would need to be poured someplace else then installed. A 4" thick 4'x8' piece would weigh 1,489 lbs. Makes that safe look light.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Wonder how much work it'd be to make 3 walls and a top out of rebar reinforced concrete and then attach a vault style door to the front. It'd be completely permanent and totally AWESOME.

I think this was discussed somewhere else in the forums, may have been years ago.. the idea is so great, I think it deserves it's own thread.

Today you can easily buy these 'stay in place' insulated concrete forms, so you just drop in rebarb and pour concrete, should be a lot of work, but very easy.

conform-text-img-banner.png

I think the trickiest part would be making a frame to hand a door, and the door would be the most expensive piece.

Standard_vault_door.jpg

I bet you could contact a metal shop and ask them if they would build you a frame with hinge to work with the door you want to buy. Then you just need to build the walls, ceiling and pour in your concrete. You could even mix the concrete yourself in small batches, but that would be literally tons of work.

Look for instructions on how to make a 'storm shelter' and then just add a high security door. http://www.familyhandyman.com/smart-homeowner/how-to-build-a-storm-shelter/view-all

FH00MAY_STORMS_01.JPG

If you already have a suitable room on a sturdy floor, you might be able to get away with just reinforcing the walls and adding a steel door frame and a strong steel door (but not a vault door) with good locks. This would be the least expensive option, but the least secure.

Lastly, disguise the room, or conceal the door at-least; get a pepper-bomb, alarm, and you should be set for most intruders that don't know it's there. :)

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    If you already have a suitable room on a sturdy floor, you might be able to get away with just reinforcing the walls and adding a steel door frame and a strong steel door (but not a vault door) with good locks. This would be the least expensive option, but the least secure.

Considering how flimsy many gun safes are built, a good commercial steel door is no easier to penetrate. I used to have a storm shelter with a steel door. It had the pins in the back and a locking mechanism that engaged pockets at the top and bottom of the frame. An attacker with power tools or a long wrecking bar could certainly make his way in, but the good part of having an entire room is that you can lock up your own tools inside.

SSDD

Dec 18, 2012
    Hanover, MD
    Thanks for all of the replies. I ended up getting in touch with Carl at Carolina safes and have install scheduled for Tuesday. They have been great to deal with thus far.

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    My friend at USAMRIID had his entire hand crushed under a 600lb safe they were trying to move. The NCOIC was an idiot (knew him back when I was at Ft.Leonardwood) and ordered his soldiers to move it. Going down the steps, one of the four soldiers lost his grip and that was the end of the story. He had reconstructive surgery and several months in a cast followed by physical therapy.

Point of the story? Don't be a hero moving a safe if you don't have experience, even if you are strong and built like a tanks. It's about right equipment and techniques.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom