Best 'all purpose' self-defense handgun for $300?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    agreed the CZ.82 would make a decent CCW gun. i know this for a fact, and i'm a pretty small-framed guy :)

adjusterr

Mar 28, 2011
    Indian Springs, Western MD
    I bought a Rossi, made by Taurus, .357 with 2" barrel, shoots .38 special, (for the Lady) and .357. It's a nice simple lay around revolver that always works. A .357 will certainly qualify as a self defense round. Obviously, not a range or target shooter but great for close quarter defense. Cost less than $300. Good luck.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I get or hear this question frequently, but often the dollar amount changes. I understand folks being on a budget, and wanting something 'right now' within that budget, but there are a lot more things to discuss than budget.

Before I start a new thread, wanted to instead reflect back on this old thread, as it had well over 16,000 reads, so obviously there's some good info here already.

I believe there's another thread about the interchangeability of a single caliber between a handgun and a long gun. Being able to carry a caliber that will work in both the sidearm you carry and the long gun you carry is obviously a huge advantage. I couldn't find the thread I started on this very topic, but suffice to say that the 38/357, 9mm, and 5.7 have to be among the most popular. Here's a great video discussing the ammo compatibility of the earliest fighting guns:

Going back to the original purpose of this thread, and reason for my refreshing this thread; today, I'm still going with the .38/.357 as the 'best all purpose' defensive caliber at $300 or less. I put the 9mm as a close second, but for the average person, I think a revolver is superior.

Here's a great choice (at this price point) if it can still be found for this little money:

EAA Windicator
    (made in Germany)

display

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    when I saw this, I thought of the Taurus PT709 Slim, I got a cheap IWB holster for $30, paid 10 for two mag grip extensions, $40 for a spare mag, and I think $2-300 used on GB and roughly 315 brandy smacking new.

I have one, it's not going to win any beauty pageants, the trigger sucks, but it's small enough anyone can handle it and it conceals very well.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    when I saw this, I thought of the Taurus PT709 Slim, I got a cheap IWB holster for $30, paid 10 for two mag grip extensions, $40 for a spare mag, and I think $2-300 used on GB and roughly 315 brandy smacking new.

I have one, it's not going to win any beauty pageants, the trigger sucks, but it's small enough anyone can handle it and it conceals very well.

That's a solid suggestion.

Have you seen these after market sights?

RL-TS-Taurus-285x245.jpg

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    A close associate of mine, recently obtained a CCW permit. Due to some personal financial issues, he's strapped for cash, hence the $300 limit.

He won't be able to buy even a $300 gun for a month or longer, so I thought this would be a great question to discuss since we have time. He has taken into account, that he will need more money for a decent rig (holster/belt etc), and money to train, etc, the $300 is about his limit for the gun alone (FFL, taxes, lock, etc, he understands is also extra).

I've already made several recommendations and discussed what I thought were the pros and cons of several models; interested in some other opinions. As soon as there is some good feedback, I'll recommend he come and read this thread for himself, so he's more confident with the advice I'm giving him.

Keep his priorities in mind (this will definitely influence your recommendation):

- One 'all purpose' gun, something he can carry concealed, use for home defense, and take to the range. He's not interested in target shooting, IDPA or anything other than self defense.

- Low recoil, as he want's his petite wife to train with him and be confident to use it if necessary when he is away.

I bought two used Gen 3 Glocks last year in excellent condition for $300 each. That would be my suggestion.

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    I know he's beyond the basics of safety, marksmanship and essential tactics, but I really don't know beyond that. Another good question. But consider his wife's experience...

Agreed, training is everything. And I think he, like most folks are accepting only a moderate level of training. You guys have me thinking/agreeing, maybe two guns are better than one. Shotgun for the house, and the gun he's essentially asking about (or better if we can convince him) for CCW.

Funny you should point that out. I called Mark at 2AS&S and he recommended the same thing, or a decent used gun, as many of you have suggested. I personally don't like the external safety of the LC9, but it looks like some manufacturers have found a way to contend with this dilemma (making the safeties smaller and harder to 'accidentally' activate).

Not fair to ever say what value do you put on your life, if that were the case I think we would all be flying around in F22's. :)

f22-580x810.jpg

LC9s Pro is my favorite cheap go-to and it's accurate as fvck. No safeties.

$349 shipped is the cheapest I found new
    http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...248/ruger-lc9s-pro-9mm-luger-no-manual-safety

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    F russia.

Germany beat them to the punch:

16_schmeisser_slp-9_01s.jpg

Schmeisser SLP-9 Pistol
    Schmeisser Germany, named after gun designer Hugo Schmeisser, has developed a reputation for producing high quality AR-15 rifles using top quality in-house components and Lothar Walther barrels. Now the company is making a push into the U.S. market with a new polymer-framed striker-fired pistol. Although the SLP-9 looks a good deal like the Austrian competition, it does have a price tag and some notable differences that should make it competitive in a crowded market. Unlike the Glock, the SLP-9 is one of only two true double-action/single-action striker fired pistols on the market (the other is the Walther P99). This translates into a second-strike feature for giving hard primers another tap or two if one chooses to do so. It also eliminates the need for a safely lever in the trigger. These pistols will ship with metallic 3-dot sights and two steel magazines.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Taurus 738 TCP is a .380 pocket gun for under $300.00. Pretty much a short range gun but it's reliable. Not the best fixed sights, but in price range for a new gun.

MocoJed

Nov 16, 2015
    Loco Moco
    didnt see it offered up as a suggestion and i dont have any first hand experience with it, but theres the EAA SAR B6P

$264.99 and 9.99 shipping! your buddy might be a little over $300 after transfer fee though
    http://www.rkguns.com/eaa-sar-b6p-9mm-full-size-pistol-400422.html

eaa_%20400422.jpg

i'm pretty sure theres a shorter barrel version but i couldnt tell you the model number or if the shorter one is on the handgun roster

Here's a version from an IP, might be a tad cheaper given no FFL fee.

http://store.unitedgunshop.com/product.eaa-sar-k2p9-9mm-urban-camo

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom