• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    I saw this thing at the great american outdoor show and just wanted to know what everyone thought. Its an air rifle that fires arrows.

2b7074f3771604e3e0a5506e062dc790.jpg

You charge it with compressed air like a paintball gun. It can fire an arrow at 450 fps. Can fire up to 8 arrows off of a single charge at the same fps. I know there are gonna be hunters out there that are against it but it does have great potential for wounded hunters that can't use a gun, bow, or crossbow. What do you guys think?

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Will be interesting to see if states allow it as an archery device. The lobbying is already going on for it.

Shoots a 375gr arrow at 450fps. Pretty hot. $850, so not cheap but on line with good bows.

I wonder about accuracy with it, haven't seen that discussed yet.

I'm slow to adapt new things so will see if this is a bust before I get $1k tied up into something odd which dies.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I believe Iowa may actually have a law against such devices, but I could be wrong. Pretty neat, none-the-less. What is typical fps from a bow and crossbow?

C.Alls

Nov 9, 2013
    I'd wait till it's released before believing any numbers Crosman give as far as velocities are concerned. Also the gun may get 8 shots but they will not all be the same velocities. The way a PCP rifle works when not equipped with a regulator is with a fine balance between hammer spring and charge pressure. The gun will most likely get 8 shots inside a %10 extreme spread and they claim a 2" group at 50 yards. If you've ever followed any of Crosmans adventures into the Big Bore market you'll already know that their track record isn't the best and this gun was designed on their latest Big Bore flop the "Bull Dog".

C.Alls

Nov 9, 2013
    Also with the purchase of the $850 arrow gun you'll have to buy either a pump (capable of 3000psi) which will run you $300 for a quality unit or get a carbon fiber air tank that has to be filled by a dive shop/paint ball shop to 4500psi and those run $400-$800. Or you can buy a compressor and tank and be able to fill your own tanks when needed and that'll run an additional $1500+. Trust me I've been in the PCP game for a few years now and it's not cheap lol....

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    There's always this too...
    http://www.larue.com/ruger-10-22-arrow-conversion-kit
    It'd be cool if it gets classified for archery...but who knows.

That's neat! but the need for a blank cartridge would probably get it classified as a firearm in most states.

It's an interesting question. What defines the weapon; the projectile or the means of propulsion? Imagine something like the Ruger conversion but for a black powder rifle instead. I don't think anyone would argue that it wouldn't still be a firearm.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    Also with the purchase of the $850 arrow gun you'll have to buy either a pump (capable of 3000psi) which will run you $300 for a quality unit or get a carbon fiber air tank that has to be filled by a dive shop/paint ball shop to 4500psi and those run $400-$800. Or you can buy a compressor and tank and be able to fill your own tanks when needed and that'll run an additional $1500+. Trust me I've been in the PCP game for a few years now and it's not cheap lol....

You know, something the size of an arrow (instead of a pellet) may be big enough to hold its own charge of compressed gas. It would essentially be a rocket. The rifle itself could then be much simpler and lighter though of course the arrows would be much more expensive.

Maybe I ought to patent that idea...

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    That's a pretty wild concept right there. Not sure if I would want to use one for hunting as I appreciate the challenge of using a bow. But I am sure people who use crossbows and have trouble pulling the string back might be interested

It would be a cool toy to own, but I would personally rather spend that dough on a firearm

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    at 450 fps - it seems the fastest of them all

all are approx general numbers

long bow - 200 to low 300 fps
    compound - mid to high 300 fps
    crossbow - high 300's to low 400's

You should check out the FX one that I linked to it will push them 918 ft/second.

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    You should check out the FX one that I linked to it will push them 918 ft/second.

that might be too fast - unless the shooter wants to use a brand new arrow every time

from article..
    I have shot airguns that propelled their arrows so fast (in excess of 440 f.p.s.) that they were either damaging the arrows or burying them so deep in the backstop that they were damaged when extracting them. In fact, it is a little-appreciated fact that when someone shoots an arrow from an airgun that their biggest concern may be slowing the arrow down!

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2015/09/pneumatic-arrow-shooters/

and we have the issue of accuracy

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    that might be too fast - unless the shooter wants to use a brand new arrow every time

Yep would get expensive, a lot of filling with that tune too, only 2 shots at that level from a 3200 psi fill.

I think I would still pick the Bulldog over the Airbow personally, same price and less hassle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom