• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I just picked up one of the M5's I ordered a while back when they had a sale. Think it was $141 shipped. You should be able to manipulate their ordering system to get the same discount on the stripped (% wise) as the complete, at least I did.

For the money I would rather get the stripped and order components of choosing.

BTW - Does anyone know if the PSA uppers are DPMS cut or AR10 cut? Want to replace my AP4 with something with a longer barrel and lighter rail set-up, presume Palmetto will put out a 20" or 24" variation soon enough.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Guess that would make sense since IIRC the PSA .308 lowers are rebranded AERO. But AERO used to make both DPMS and AR10 cut.

.308 AR compatibility is such a mess!

QFT!!

I'll get around to building one, someday...

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Guess that would make sense since IIRC the PSA .308 lowers are rebranded AERO

They look clearly different (but AP may still be making the lowers for PSA.) But the PA10 != M5.
    308lower800a.jpg

308-complete-lower-3_1_1.jpg

reckless1911

Nov 19, 2012
    Odenton
    PSA has a couple of complete upper configurations here ...

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-10.html

Note: PSA had discounted these a few days back ($30-40 less expensive).

yea I know about those ones, they dont have anything over 18" and im not too crazy for what they do have. They would be a last option if I dont find the right upper I do want tho. Unless I can swap a longer barrel on their uppers.

Ultimately Im just trying to determine if piecing together my own AR10 with everything good that I want will ultimately be better and cheaper than buying a Smith & Wession AR10 and having to swap stuff on that to make it more of what I want and still be limited to upgrading certain things.

glennc75

Jan 28, 2013
    Westminster / Carroll Co
    I grabbed a few things here and there, and built my own because I wanted a certain combo of components that nobody had built into a complete upper. JSE has some pretty good prices for complete uppers, upper with handguard but no barrel, or whatever. Their stock varies a bit, so if it's out of stock now, keep checking back. They have a nice 18" with Troy handguard. Midway is another good, but a little more expensive, option.

http://www.jsesurplus.com/ar308.aspx

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    yea I know about those ones, they dont have anything over 18" and im not too crazy for what they do have. They would be a last option if I dont find the right upper I do want tho. Unless I can swap a longer barrel on their uppers.

Ultimately Im just trying to determine if piecing together my own AR10 with everything good that I want will ultimately be better and cheaper than buying a Smith & Wession AR10 and having to swap stuff on that to make it more of what I want and still be limited to upgrading certain things.

You could make out really well selling the new take off parts ... even below mds classified prices.:innocent0

reckless1911

Nov 19, 2012
    Odenton
    You could make out really well selling the new take off parts ... even below mds classified prices.:innocent0

thats true.. I probably wouldnt even want to waste my time going thru all of that.. I want my AR10 to have a 20inch barrel at min anyway and I keep forgetting the M&P10 barrel cant be upgraded for some reason.

blodter

Aug 28, 2013
    Hagerstown, MD
    thats true.. I probably wouldnt even want to waste my time going thru all of that.. I want my AR10 to have a 20inch barrel at min anyway and I keep forgetting the M&P10 barrel cant be upgraded for some reason.

I've read that you only really lose around 30 fps between a 20" and 18" barrel. In my opinion, a bit less weight and more maneuverability > 30 fps. The M&P 10 is a fantastic rifle, and I'll probably be getting one myself pretty soon.

reckless1911

Nov 19, 2012
    Odenton
    I've read that you only really lose around 30 fps between a 20" and 18" barrel. In my opinion, a bit less weight and more maneuverability > 30 fps. The M&P 10 is a fantastic rifle, and I'll probably be getting one myself pretty soon.

I suppose im just trying to elimate the need to buy a bolt gun anytime soon by building the best precision AR10 that I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom