Which of these 1911 pistols do you prefer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    if you want a WWII looking gun they are both well suited for that, the colt has better resale due to name recognition. Both makers create nice pistols.

If you plan on shooting it alot, get something with real sights.

I believe an IP has the colt on sale right now.....

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I've got this one in stock for $805.00

Factory Number: O1991
    UPC Number: 098289011176

COL Series 1991 Government .45 ACP 5 Inch Barrel Blue Finish White Dot Sights Rosewood Grips 7 Round
    1991 Series
    Direct descendant of the original Colt 1911. Series 80 firing system. Single action. Steel receiver and steel slide. Features a long solid aluminum trigger, flat mainspring housing and original style recoil system. Includes high profile white dot sights and lowered ejection port. Standard safety lock and a grip safety.

FeelTheNoise

WTF
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 11, 2015
    Cecil County
    I can't speak on the Colt, but I have the SA Mil-Spec and it's been great. Built solid and shoots well, haven't had any trouble with it. It's a no frills 1911, but I like the look of the GI style and combat sights.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    As stated, the SA Mil Spec has improve high visibility sights. So does the Colt.

If you are looking for a shooter then either one will do. They are same configuration guns.

The Colt undoubtedly has the military dimension barrel. Often the Springer will have a more nicely fit barrel and yield more precision. There is a Mil Spec in the classifieds for $600, low round count.

So, does one choose the cross cannons or the horsie?

Feb 28, 2013
    As stated, the SA Mil Spec has improve high visibility sights. So does the Colt.

If you are looking for a shooter then either one will do. They are same configuration guns.

The Colt undoubtedly has the military dimension barrel. Often the Springer will have a more nicely fit barrel and yield more precision. There is a Mil Spec in the classifieds for $600, low round count.

I saw that, blued though.

So, does one choose the cross cannons or the horsie?

Good question. It seems we have quite the headscratcher here. :)

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Springfield. Colt is gonna go bankrupt and there's no reason to save them. So for warranty only Springfield. Plus it has better guts than the Colt. Notice the product description that says match grade barrel?

TAliyev

Thinker
    Feb 23, 2009
    Owings Mills, MD
    I'd say Colt, because if you ever decide to install drop-in grip safety from Wilson Combat, it will fit precisely on Colt while leaving big unpleasant gap on SA. I have both SA and Colt.

Feb 28, 2013
    I'd say Colt, because if you ever decide to install drop-in grip safety from Wilson Combat, it will fit precisely on Colt while leaving big unpleasant gap on SA. I have both SA and Colt.

Nah. The stock one will be fine. The only thing I might add would be a lanyard loop.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    I saw that, blued though.

I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding you, but the 1911 listed doesn't look blued to me, it looks parkerized. Mine looked exactly the same when I got it. Their low end stuff these days tend to be parkeraized while their high end stuff (TRP's) have another finish all together. I started with a mil-spec SA 1911 and of course I couldn't leave anything alone. Either way, my 1911 is one of my favorites.

TAliyev

Thinker
    Feb 23, 2009
    Owings Mills, MD
    Nah. The stock one will be fine.

For how long? :)

Things you will want to change after a little while (on any of those two) :
    - Mainspring housing (metal with no lock)
    - Trigger (longer one)
    - Hammer (commander style)
    - ..and as a result of hammer : grip safety (this is where Wilson Combat drop-in comes into play).
    - Thumb safety
    - Slide stop (to match thumb safety)
    - Recoil spring guide (factory guides are just plain ugly on both stainless versions).
    - Grips and grip screws
    - Whatever else comes to your mind..... :)

madchestermonkey

Pond straddler
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lowcountry SC
    I have that exact colt and it's everything I wanted! Shots good, finish is very nice. Don't have a pic on my phone but if you see one in person you will buy it. I got mine at duffy's.

The stock photo does show it clearly but it's all stainless with some sections unpolished

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Nah. The stock one will be fine. The only thing I might add would be a lanyard loop.

If you really want stainless... Go get a Ruger SR1911... It is a series 70 pistol with a lot of great features and an excellent rep for the pistol and service from Ruger. I have both the full size and the CMD. They are both great shooters. And appointed very nicely from the factory. They are not "Military Grade" lookers as they have features that are add ons for most pistols... But they are damn nice pistols.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom