• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rugbier

Jul 19, 2010
    MD
    School me if you please ( actual facts not opinions are greatly appreciated )

Being that the registered part of a suppressor is the Tube ( not the contents ) isn't it legal to replace the baffles as you wish ( maintaining caliber )?

If that is the case, would the K baffles been obtainable from anyone? and whom?

Thanks

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    You can have baffles replaced. You can't keep the old ones. There are several companies that will do it. Go on Silencertalk or NFAtalk and search around.
    It is my understanding that having "spare" or "extra" baffles is considered intent.

Last edited:

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Sundazes is correct. The ATF is currently ruling that the tube and baffles are considered "suppressor parts" and has therefore made them illegal to possess in extra\spare quantities. Look no further then the Sig TAC-X series of rifles, that has the "muzzle break", which in reality is a mono core suppressor baffle stack, permanently attached to the end of the barrel. The ATF denied permission for sale to the general public, based on the fact that they consider the "muzzle break" to be a "suppressor part." Sig is currently taking them to court over the matter. However, suppressor end caps, and for the most part muzzle adapters, are not considered "suppressor parts." The ATF notoriously has made wild rulings on what technically comprises of a suppressor or suppressor part, no matter if it reduces sound or not. They have a set idea of what those things are, actual facts be damned. Hopefully, the courts will slap them around some more on the topic.

http://www.guns.com/2014/04/15/sig-sues-atf/

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Yeah, BATFE is nuts. They issued a letter a few years ago saying that Chore Boy copper scrubbing pads can be an NFA item under the right circumstances. And a string also.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Some suppressors, older ones I'm guessing, had steel wool type stuff etc in them, like the wipes of the old days.
    I think you can google it. I used to have a copy.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Some suppressors, older ones I'm guessing, had steel wool type stuff etc in them, like the wipes of the old days.
    I think you can google it. I used to have a copy.

Yes I remember reading that one. Yes and the Shoe string strung in a way that the cocking handle pulls the trigger once the bolt is fully back in battery. They also briefly went after QD Flash hiders as being parts of the Silencer. They backed off of that one but still shows you their thinking. Makes you wonder about the spare end caps that Silencerco sells for the Saker. You know the ones that add a flash hider to the end? Oh and who can forget that springs are MGs now too thanks to Akins stocks.

Until we have an organization like the ACLU... that will sue the ATF for every stupid ruling... this is what we will get.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    Learned something new from this thread.

But now raises a question.

How is Silencerco's Salvo 12 design not being targeted by the ATF? It has the ability to be broken down from a 12inch to an 10, 8, and even 6 inch version. Which requires you to obtain the proper length rods when you assemble it into varying lengths.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Learned something new from this thread.

But now raises a question.

How is Silencerco's Salvo 12 design not being targeted by the ATF? It has the ability to be broken down from a 12inch to an 10, 8, and even 6 inch version. Which requires you to obtain the proper length rods when you assemble it into varying lengths.

I believe it comes with the 12 inch rod, thus making the 12 inch configuration the registered package. If you choose to use less of the original baffles in the Salvo, then that's your decision. With your regular silencer baffles, you can also choose (stupidly) not to use all the baffles if you want. Agreed, this appears to get around that whole, "not suppose to have spare suppressor parts", but in actuality your just not using the entire suppressor (parts) of the whole registered configuration. Also the unused baffles cannot be made into another suppressor. Heck, this modular baffle suppressor concept might be a good idea for pistol/rifle suppressors in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom