• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sheepdog6

Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    Hey everyone, this may or may not have been addressed in othe threads but I couldn't find it so I apologize if I am beating a long dead horse. I recently spoke with a gentleman who told me that AR pistols are no longer legal to build in MD unless you purchased the lower receiver prior to some date within the last year. My understanding was that they are still legal unless there was a change to SB281 that I didn't hear about. Was there a change and if so, what changes were made?

Thanks for your help

Last edited:

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    AR pistols are legal for sale AND manufacture in the state of MD.
    Active duty military and active duty law enforcement (In state or Federal ONLY) are exempt from HQL.
    Retired military and retired law enforcement (In state or Federal ONLY) are also exempt from HQL.

If you served less than the minimum time to retire from those careers with the stipulations noted above then you MUST get an HQL BUT you are exempted from the training portion.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    You can build an AR pistol in MD. No HQL needed.

The big change a year ago was being able to buy lowers again. After SB281 took effect we could not buy lowers until last summer. Thanks to a lot of very dedicated folks we can now buy new lowers.

These lowers can be built into any legal configuration. Including a HBAR rifle, a PISTOL or with a stamp into an SBR.

Good luck with your build.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Legal to build? Yes. As long as the lower you're building it on was never a rifle first(don't ask why).
    Best to start anew with a virgin lower which in Md. requires a 77r and waiting period but, no HQL.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    You can build an AR pistol in MD. No HQL needed.

The big change a year ago was being able to buy lowers again. After SB281 took effect we could not buy lowers until last summer. Thanks to a lot of very dedicated folks we can now buy new lowers.

These lowers can be built into any legal configuration. Including a HBAR rifle, a PISTOL or with a stamp into an SBR.

Good luck with your build.

So if you don't mind paying $200 extra, you could get a pre-ban configuration AR as long as it has a short barrel?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    So if you don't mind paying $200 extra, you could get a pre-ban configuration AR as long as it has a short barrel?

Yep. As long as it < 16". And you have your stamp. All copycat laws also apply.

>= 29" OAL

No more than one of the following:

Folding stock ( collapsible is OK)
    Flash hider
    Grenade launcher

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

If you mean ''get'' as in buy, I'd say no. If you already have a pre-banned AR, and want to convert it to an SBR, then yes. If I'm reading the question right.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    My mistake, thought I filled out a 77R for my stripped lower. What form was that?

That was a 77R. MSP can't answer why a 77R is required, so we no longer do them for stripped or complete lowers. This is relatively recent for us, I don't think anyone else does them cash and carry at the moment, but we've been fighting with MSP on this for a long time.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    WOW!!!

That was a 77R. MSP can't answer why a 77R is required, so we no longer do them for stripped or complete lowers. This is relatively recent for us, I don't think anyone else does them cash and carry at the moment, but we've been fighting with MSP on this for a long time.

Now that is amazing! You guys ROCK!!!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

"...and now you know...the rest of the story...good day!''

Thanks Nate:thumbsup:

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Are you doing the same for pistol frames? If so, I'd be tempted to get three of these:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/1911/frame-slide-parts-kits/psa-1911-frame-45-5-ss.html

Up until this point frames like those were sold on a 77R no HQL. We had a Glock frame 77R voided, for lack of an HQL, and that is the straw that broke the camels back with the AR receivers and frames in general.

I am awaiting a formal response from Licensing Division, which took a TON of time and resources to get to this point. I will have a clearer answer in the next 2-3 weeks because I'm not sitting on "you'll get an answer whenever we feel like it" any longer and plan on forcing their hand in the next few days.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Bravo. I'm no lawyer, but the mental gymnastics that would stipulate a 77R requirement based on current MD laws were elusive to me when they shifted policy on lower sales (which should never have been restricted given the allowance for HBAR sales). Based on this update, I'm going to buy a (forged) lower from you all this week, for a 300 BLK rifle build.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Bravo. I'm no lawyer, but the mental gymnastics that would stipulate a 77R requirement based on current MD laws were elusive to me when they shifted policy on lower sales (which should never have been restricted given the allowance for HBAR sales). Based on this update, I'm going to buy a (forged) lower from you all this week, for a 300 BLK rifle build.

Exactly. Regulated firearm transfers require a 77R. Regulated firearm means two types of firearms (1) Handguns and (2) the list we now refer to as Assault Long Guns. A handgun is a firearm with a barrel less than 16" in length for purposes of the 77R requirement. A lower can't be an ALG, they'd be illegal. If a firearm has no barrel it can't be a handgun. COMAR even distinguishes frames from frames with a breech face or firing pin for purposes of the shell casing requirement. It made no sense, but they know that. They know what they want the law to require, so they work backwards to figure out how the words support what they're doing.

I'll post a breakdown of everything that has happened at some point, but it's been exhausting.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    If you mean ''get'' as in buy, I'd say no. If you already have a pre-banned AR, and want to convert it to an SBR, then yes. If I'm reading the question right.

Nope, brand new manufactured SBR's can be purchased. Currently they have to be on the Handgun Roster for approval, but that changes on Oct 1, 2015.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom