• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I was seriously interested in buying that gun from you. That was a good deal. Good thing I didn't have my HQL. Glad things worked out for you and good tip for others.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Thanks. It was definitely a very fair deal. Buyer is very happy.

I think some sort of paperwork from the FFL where the 2 guns in question now reside, is definitely something I should try to get.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    All I know is he had a printout of every handgun I have ever owned, and at least one that I have technically never owned...I asked if I could have a copy of the sheet he had, and he said it was for MSP use only...:nono:

The part of that list that bothers me is that IF there was ever a day where they came to my house to "take my guns"....their list shows guns I no longer possess, so can't help but wonder how that'd play out.
    Off to the work camp until you give them the location.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    All I know is he had a printout of every handgun I have ever owned, and at least one that I have technically never owned...I asked if I could have a copy of the sheet he had, and he said it was for MSP use only...:nono:

The part of that list that bothers me is that IF there was ever a day where they came to my house to "take my guns"....their list shows guns I no longer possess, so can't help but wonder how that'd play out.

If that isn't a prime example of why people should go the 80% route, I don't know what is!

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    If that isn't a prime example of why people should go the 80% route, I don't know what is!
    Or become an FFL 03 (C&R) Or leave the state. It is one of the reasons that I left MD, after actively fighting against the FSA fiasco. Just across the Potomac river, people can meet face to face (provided that they are both residents), shake hands, exchange cash, and exchange firearms. Granted that most of these people only buy and sell to fellow current CCW permit holders. Here the excuse isn't that there was a boating accident, but instead, 'sold em all'.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    Damn. I hate to say it, but it certainly could have been worse......really glad the trooper went the extra mile and assisted this way. Perhaps a letter to his CDR, stating what a fine job he did for you?? :-)

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    So when a gun is "reported" as stolen what exactly does that mean?
    The only information reported is the serial number?

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I sent a message interested in buying it. Glad I wasn't there for that fiasco.

Yeah, you missed the whole circus by just a few hours, evidently. Buy a lottery ticket. ;):D

What is "the 80% route"? :confused:

Damn. I hate to say it, but it certainly could have been worse......really glad the trooper went the extra mile and assisted this way. Perhaps a letter to his CDR, stating what a fine job he did for you?? :-)

I absolutely have already decided to do that. :thumbsup:
    Two other troopers there had the "look", you know where you KNOW they're looking at you like they've already decided you are wrong and ready to put the cuffs on...One, who looked very young, didn't understand at all the whole 22 LONG RIFLE thing. I explained that is the AMMO, not the firearm. Even after myself and the nice trooper explained it, the expression told it all. He was nothing short of amazed that in the end, the handgun was released back to me.

Thankfully, the Trooper I actually dealt with, knew something was not right with the whole scenario, and got to the bottom of it, with all but zero cooperation from HoCo Police. :tdown:

So when a gun is "reported" as stolen what exactly does that mean?
    The only information reported is the serial number?

I guess their data base just lists a serial number? I don't know, maybe it then is up to the investigating police to dig deeper to verify the details of the firearm. Then you have to get cooperation from another police department, which the Trooper didn't initially get.

The description of the actual stolen firearm was: SR 22 Long Rifle with same serial number as mine... SR meaning Sturm Ruger, although that was just an educated guess, since their report said only SR as the brand/make. :rolleyes:

It also means that in Howard County, if the actual report's description of the firearm is needed by the MSP for investigating a possible crime, that the lazy bastard who's job it is to pull said records, should be looking for a new job this morning, IMO...for refusing to do his job until another branch of the MSP were, and the ATF were (soon to be) involved.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    While it all worked out, this is really some very scary shit.

I wonder what, if any recourse you would have against the careless FFL who caused this entire mess had you been arrested or just lost your gun, ? Are they culpable or held harmless for stuff like this? Would you be able to go after them civilly or would they face any sort of reprimand from the state/ATF?

Please let us know how your conversation with this IP goes. Very interested to know what happens on that front.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    While it all worked out, this is really some very scary shit.

I wonder what, if any recourse you would have against the careless FFL who caused this entire mess had you been arrested or just lost your gun, ? Are they culpable or held harmless for stuff like this? Would you be able to go after them civilly or would they face any sort of reprimand from the state/ATF?

Please let us know how your conversation with this IP goes. Very interested to know what happens on that front.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), there was two separate issues going on, which seemed to have been on my side in the whole matter.

At the point where the Trooper said he had no choice but to confiscate the gun and give me a chain of custody receipt for it, I knew (and he all but verified) that IF I ever saw that gun again, it would be a long time away.

He also said at that point, that not only was the MSP handgun division and ATF going to be involved, he told me if I was going to try and get a refund, to do it first thing this morning, before the SHTF for that IP...

I will update my conversation, without revealing the actual shop's name. I'm sure it was an honest mistake, but one that could have really turned out bad for the both of us...:o

One of my co-workers said I should have verified the serial number when I bought the gun, and while I NOW agree 100%...how many actually do that on a gun you buy at a store? I never have. I mean if you buy a car from a car lot, you do not check the VIN and bill of sale...you get in your new car and drive away....assuming that the dealer did their job correctly, as I did in this case...It will not ever happen again, and until I get the "Not Disappproved" letter back from MSP on this gun, I won't sleep very well. :ohnoes:

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I mean if you buy a car from a car lot, you do not check the VIN and bill of sale...you get in your new car and drive away....assuming that the dealer did their job correctly...

This actually happens to us quite frequently. Paperwork gets printed prior to the delivery appointment and then customer calls the sales person and switches vehicles because they want a different color or heated seats. Nobody tells the finance manager and he does the paperwork with with wrong vin. Wrong cars is reported sold to the factory, the bank gets a contract with the wrong car, the DMV titles and the wrong car - Huge mess.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I'm going to go check the S/N for all my firearms this evening. Thanks for the cautionary tale. When the liberty of law abiding citizens is at stake, there should be more checks and balances in the system.

I suspect that the trooper you dealt with understands that stolen firearms dont usually get transferred at MSP barracks.

Went home last night to compare my s/n to the firearm. The form is so faint that I can make out no characters whatever. (sigh)

Last edited:

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    until I get the "Not Disappproved" letter back from MSP on this gun, I won't sleep very well. :ohnoes:

I would highly recommend calling Nicole Stoddart at the MSP licensing division to walk her through everything that happened. She is extremely nice and will make sure that everything is straightened out without any further issues. After all of the problems I have had with transfers, I never do one without calling her to make sure the paperwork was received and then I always hand deliver the 77r to her after the physical transfer takes place.

Her direct line is 410-653-4596. Seems as if she is the only one in the entire division that knows what is supposed to happen and how to get things done.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I suspect that the trooper you dealt with understands that stolen firearms dont usually get transferred at MSP barracks.

There you go using logic again. Have you ever watched an episode of Americas Dumbest Criminals? I would be willing to bet that more than one idiot has walked into the MSP barracks and tried to transfer a stolen firearm.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Let me preface my questions with, I am glad it worked out. I was seriously considering this Ruger.

Question 1: Is there a way a person can get a listing of what the MSP thinks you own? Jesus, if what you are saying is true, there a lot of folks with tons of HG's registered to them they don't own.

Question 2: What would have happened if this was transferred though a dealer?

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I checked and the state of Maryland has the equivalent of the Freedom of Information Act. Under it you can request a copy of any information the state or local government has about you. There are very few things that can be withheld from you.

Here's the quote from the site about the Public Information Act:

"Do I have a right to obtain a record about me even if it is otherwise confidential
    under the PIA?"

"In some cases, yes. The PIA grants a 'person in interest' a right to access some
    records that are otherwise not available to the public under the PIA. A person in
    interest is usually the person who is the subject of the record."

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I checked and the state of Maryland has the equivalent of the Freedom of Information Act. Under it you can request a copy of any information the state or local government has about you. There are very few things that can be withheld from you.

Here's the quote from the site about the Public Information Act:

"Do I have a right to obtain a record about me even if it is otherwise confidential
    under the PIA?"

"In some cases, yes. The PIA grants a 'person in interest' a right to access some
    records that are otherwise not available to the public under the PIA. A person in
    interest is usually the person who is the subject of the record."

Does it also tell a person how to officially request information or do you need to hire an attorney?

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Does it also tell a person how to officially request information or do you need to hire an attorney?

No need for an attorney. Simply cite the PIA as your basis for the request and specifically identify the record you want. You can't ask for them to do research and create a record for you, but if the record already exists (and you saw it, so you know it does) they are supposed to provide a copy unless there is a compelling public interest for not doing so.

Most of the limitations on release have to do with a person asking for information about another person. If it's about themselves, virtually everything is subject to release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom