• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IgotAgun

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 20, 2015
    I carry a glock 42 and I used to carry a 17 and 26. The doublestacks are bricks, and I hated carrying them. I will still carry my 19 owb from time to time in the winter. Single stack is the way to for ccw.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    If I need to bump up the capacity, I'll go with the SIG P228:

Sig Sauer P228 Compact 9mm
    Overall Length: 7.1 inches
    Overall Height: 5.4 inches
    Overall Width: 1.5 inches
    Weight With Empty Magazine: 29.1oz
    Barrel Length: 3.9 inches
    Magazine Capacity: 13 rounds
    Starting MSRP: $800

It's not that far off from the subcompacts listed above.

I can hardly believe I am about to say this, but here goes . . . I love my West German P228 w/13 round standard (Sig) capacity, and 15 round MecGar capacity mags. However, I have been persuaded (through first hand experience) that my Springfield XDM 3.8, with standard 13 round, or optional 19 round mags (won't use them), is the better all round carry option. I know, I am going straight to Hell without passing Go, but I said it!

Seriously, the smooth consistent trigger in the striker fired XDM beats the DA/SA in the Sig - even with the Sig SRT installed. I will never sell the 228, and won't hesitate to rely on it, but for all around carry considering all of the factors the XDM wins out by a nose. Yes I own multiple Sigs that I love and I still said this!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually this is two seperate discussions : Subcompact vs Compact-ish , and siggle coloum vs double coloum.

*For me* compact-ish single stack is the sweet spot.

The hard and fast dividing line is fit in pocket vs not fit in pocket ( if pocket carry is the primary use). Once you move beyond that , it's all subjective. The question becomes : in YOUR hands , can YOU shoot it either 1. As well as a normal pistol or 2. Not quite, but well enough to serve as a primary handgun. This varies widely depending on hand size and shooting skills.

At this juncture the discussion becomes 90% about clothing, and 10% about firearms.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I freely admit that I still get a kick out of these discussions. Montoya nails it. For me, get a really good belt and a good owb holster, carry whatever you want. My G22 goes everywhere with me and a spare mag. Nobody gives me a second glance.

To the OP's question... If you feel the need for a gun that small than I'd personally say nothing with an external safety or hammer to snag. Those are up close and personal weapons where drawing quickly from concealment May be far more important than the model of your gun.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I can hardly believe I am about to say this, but here goes . . . I love my West German P228 w/13 round standard (Sig) capacity, and 15 round MecGar capacity mags. However, I have been persuaded (through first hand experience) that my Springfield XDM 3.8, with standard 13 round, or optional 19 round mags (won't use them), is the better all round carry option. I know, I am going straight to Hell without passing Go, but I said it!

Seriously, the smooth consistent trigger in the striker fired XDM beats the DA/SA in the Sig - even with the Sig SRT installed. I will never sell the 228, and won't hesitate to rely on it, but for all around carry considering all of the factors the XDM wins out by a nose. Yes I own multiple Sigs that I love and I still said this!
    I'll have to try one out. I know a lot of folks love striker fire. If I can shoot it reasonably well, I'd consider one.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I'll have to try one out. I know a lot of folks love striker fire. If I can shoot it reasonably well, I'd consider one.

Then you better not try the Sig 320 compact (not the subcompact being discussed here) or its going to help lighten your wallet. :D Its a very close second to the XDM only because its a little longer and despite its reported width a bit wider. In my view, for my size, the line between IWB and OWB is just between these 2 options, but YMMV. Both are fine pistols. The 320's trigger is sweet from the factory, no after market kit required.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Everything I could say has already been said, key points:

Size is more important than weight when concealability matters most, and width is very important.

No external safety unless you are thoroughly trained with it.

Practice your draw from wherever you carry.

Carry and dress appropriately; printing a bit not as big an issue, depending on location of the bulge.

.380 can be effective enough, but do you have enough training to use it as effectively and manage the recoil?

Better to have a few options depending on weather, dress, threat/situation, no one CCW pistol is perfect. Those that are easiest to carry/conceal are the least fun and hardest to shoot well.

If I could only own one gun to train, carry, compete, and use for home defense... I think I'd go with an LCR 9mm revolver (yep, just 5 bullets and slow to reload, without training).

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Have you concealed carried a full sized pistol for more than 8 hours? There's a reason people want a smaller, easier to conceal pistol with a service round level caliber. Even compact pistols start to wear on you after a few hours. There's a lot of reasons why I'm carrying a PF9. It's small, narrow, and there's good SD 9mm ammo for it.

I did almost everyday for over 10 years when I lived in free state. I started out with a Ruger GP100 6" in a shoulder holster(all I had and worked, but not the best option) then switched to a Springfield XD 45 with 13 round mag IWB. The 357 was tough to conceal, but doable. The XD was much easier. Both required dressing appropriately. I agree as far as comfort, weight, and concealability goes, the compacts and subs win. I'm no super human by any means, but the XD never wore me down. I actually found comfort in feeling/ knowing it was there and that I was accurate with it. But like it was said...this is MD so this point is moot for most of us unless we go to a truly free state and carry on a non resident permit.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    Do you who pocket carry need baggy pants? What about the stuff you normally carry in your pockets?

Double-stacks are too thick for me to conceal that well - I can conceal my M&P9 as long as I am standing up straight and don't move :rolleyes:

It definitely has a lot to do with body type (1) and wardrobe (2). Can't change the one, and don't want to change the other.

I currently carry my SP101 most often, but I could see going with a Shield or G43 or G42 sometime in the future.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Oh a bunch of folks who likely rarely if ever carry debating about the best gun.

I see very little need for these "small" pistols. Maybe if I were to wear a suit or something it would be easier or more comfortable to conceal but short of that I see no need.

You can easily and comfortably conceal a M&P Compact or Glock 26/7 all day long with the right holster and BELT. I have for 8 hours and at times for 12-16 hour days. I've carried 229 size pistol concealed without issues. No back pain, hip pain, side pain etc.

I wouldn't want to carry anything with 6 or 7 rounds...even with a spare magazine.

After carrying a "sub compact" for years my next choice will likely be a compact in the area of a G19. I don't see any general benefit for me to carry a smaller weapon other than a few rare occasions when I'm in a suit.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    So we are all aware of the single stack 9mm craze that is currently going on. This will only be amplified by the release of the Glock 43.

However while considering these options, the thought popped into my head, why bother? Sure these firearms present an option for the smallest 9mm semi auto handguns on the market which has some appeal, but wouldn't most people in general be better served by some slightly larger alternatives?

So I did some research and found a few alternatives which mostly seem to be overlooked by many.

Now for the purpose of this thread I will be focusing on 9mm options due to their popularity, though feel free to discuss other caliber/firearm types (revolvers) in the thread.

Also I will be excluding the Glock 26 from this list since it falls a bit short with its 10 round magazine capacity compared to the 12/13 round magazine capacity of the options I am about to list.

Listed in no particular order: (unless otherwise noted, specifications are from the manufacturers website)

Sig Sauer P320 Subcompact 9mm
    Overall Length: 6.7 inches
    Overall Height: 4.7 inches
    Overall Width: 1.1 inches
    Weight With Empty Magazine: 24.9oz
    Barrel Length: 3.6 inches
    Magazine Capacity: 12 rounds
    Starting MSRP: $628

FN FNS-9 Compact
    Overall Height: 5.2 inches (from wikipedia)
    Overall Width: 1.35 inches (from TTAG's review)
    Weight Empty: 23.4oz
    Barrel Length: 3.6 inches
    Magazine Capacity: 12 rounds (17 rounds optional)
    Starting MSRP: $599 (From TTAG's review)

Smith and Wesson M&P 9c
    Overall Height: 4.3 inches (S&W archived product page)
    Overall Width: 1.2 inches (S&W archived product page)
    Weight Empty (no mag): 21.7oz
    Barrel Length: 3.5 inches
    Magazine Capacity: 12 rounds
    Starting MSRP: $569

Springfield Armory XDM 3.8 Compact
    Overall Length: 6.75 inches
    Overall Height: 4.75 inches
    Overall Width (Grip): 1.18 inches
    Weight (With Empty Mag): 28oz
    Barrel Length: 3.8 inches
    Magazine Capacity: 13 rounds (19 optional)
    Starting MSRP: $669 (From TTAG's review)

Chart comparing various single stack 9mm options:

9mm-comparison-21.jpg

Glock 43 Specifications
    Overall Length: 6.26 inches
    Overall Height: 4.25 inches
    Overall Width: 1.02 inches
    Weight Unloaded: 17.95oz
    Barrel Length: 3.39 inches
    Magazine Capacity: 6 rounds
    Starting MSRP: $589 (From Guns.com article)

Thoughts?
    Why bother? Simple answer: ease of concealment.

Carrying a large or even compact double stack gun all day while quite comforting is not very "comfortable".

I carry daily and can understand why some would choose a small & slim single stack. I choose comforting over comfortable but I can understand the decisions of others. That being said a single stack even has a place in my routine: BUG in an ankle holster.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Everything I could say has already been said, key points:

Size is more important than weight when concealability matters most, and width is very important.

No external safety unless you are thoroughly trained with it.

Practice your draw from wherever you carry.

Carry and dress appropriately; printing a bit not as big an issue, depending on location of the bulge.

.380 can be effective enough, but do you have enough training to use it as effectively and manage the recoil?

Better to have a few options depending on weather, dress, threat/situation, no one CCW pistol is perfect. Those that are easiest to carry/conceal are the least fun and hardest to shoot well.

If I could only own one gun to train, carry, compete, and use for home defense... I think I'd go with an LCR 9mm revolver (yep, just 5 bullets and slow to reload, without training).
    No one perfect CCW pistol? Heresy I say, LOL. That is exactly what a G26 is!

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    Oh a bunch of folks who likely rarely if ever carry debating about the best gun.

I see very little need for these "small" pistols.

You can easily and comfortably conceal a M&P Compact or Glock 26/7 all day long with the right holster and BELT. I have for 8 hours and at times for 12-16 hour days. I've carried 229 size pistol concealed without issues. No back pain, hip pain, side pain etc.

I wouldn't want to carry anything with 6 or 7 rounds...even with a spare magazine.

Agreed

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Of the 4 guns listed by the OP, I think they are all quality pieces. I think they may often be "disqualified", for lack of a better term, for the following reasons:

1. XDM--Personally, I will never carry a gun with a grip safety. Force on force convinced me that sometimes you don't get a clean draw. If a piece of shirt tail or the like ends up between my hand and the grip, I still want the gun to go bang.

2. The FN doesn't seem to have a ton of aftermarket support in terms of holsters and such.

3. The M&P has a trigger that a lot of people seem to not like very much out of the box.

4. The Sig 320 seems to be gathering fans fast, but is still quite new, so the jury may still be out a bit.

I am considering a Shield and/or the 43 when it is released, though I will not be a beta tester for the latter and will likely wait a year.

Having any gun is the first step in winning any gunfight. It may be cliche, but it's true (check out Tom Givens' stats. 63 of his students have been in shootings. 61 came out on top. The 2 who didn't were unarmed when their numbers came up!). I'd rather have more rounds available, but sooner or later the bricks stay home and the little guns get carried.

Edit to add: I use an LCP sitting around the house or for NPE carry. A Glock 26 most of the time. Occasionally the Glock 19. But I'm a very small framed guy so smaller guns work better for me, especially shorter grip length since I carry AIWB.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Do you who pocket carry need baggy pants? What about the stuff you normally carry in your pockets?

Double-stacks are too thick for me to conceal that well - I can conceal my M&P9 as long as I am standing up straight and don't move :rolleyes:

It definitely has a lot to do with body type (1) and wardrobe (2). Can't change the one, and don't want to change the other.

I currently carry my SP101 most often, but I could see going with a Shield or G43 or G42 sometime in the future.
    Regular jeans, right rear pocket, Desantis Superfly.

M44_large_1301.jpg

The beaver tail and hammer can be hidden by adjusting the backing using the velcro strip and offsetting it about 1/2 inch, unlike the picture below:
    qwQN3CO.jpg

iwb-inside-the-waistband-holst_10757844.jpg

Other items carried: wallet, comb, handkerchief, swiss army knife, flashlight, key case, folding knife, money clip, coin case, space pen, fitbit and cell phone.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    The LC9s Pro is one of the best values on the market. Krazy accurate and Krazy cheap for the accuracy and reliability. Conceals nicely in most any attire.

Don't own one, but used to own an LC9. Sold the LC9 because I couldn't get over the trigger.

Everything else about that gun was great.

The LC9s is the answer. Excellent.

Truth is, though, that I found my SR9c is easier for me to carry. Odd, I know. Comes down to holster options available, I guess. I was using the same Remora for both, and the SR9c actually feels better to carry with it, due to the extra weight making the holster grab better. Both are small enough and comfortable enough.

For ultra concealability and ease, i'd probably look at a pocket .380 with Hydra-shocks or ball.

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    Other items carried: wallet, comb, handkerchief, swiss army knife, flashlight, key case, folding knife, money clip, coin case, space pen, fitbit and cell phone.

You got a man purse to carry all that in?

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    Regular jeans, right rear pocket, Desantis Superfly.

I can see the rear pocket being doable. I moved everything out of my back pockets to make sitting easier on my back. I keep a small wallet in my left front, phone in right front, small knife clipped in right front, and gun is on my belt. I don't like too much "extra" stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom