• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    This is as good a place as any, so here goes. After a year of waiting I finally got my KISS AR done. 14.3" barrel, pinned AAC brake, A2 upper receiver, carbine length gas system with M4 FSB. If I want the sights regulated to the distances marked on the rear sight, at what range do I sight in and what ammunition do I use?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    There is no simple and quick answer for this. It depends on your ammo and the range you need to use it.
    True
    I use 25 yards with a 300 yard zero crossover. Nato. Old habits are hard to break.
    Ye olde "Battlesight Zero"... :D

I use the "Improved Battlesight Zero", which sets up at 50 yards and comes back in around 225-300, depending on load.

Jimbobborg, check your PMs.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Gents, this is for a stock carry handle rear sight, not a scope. The dial on the back has yardage markers, which is what I'm trying to use. Hence the question :)

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    This is as good a place as any, so here goes. After a year of waiting I finally got my KISS AR done. 14.3" barrel, pinned AAC brake, A2 upper receiver, carbine length gas system with M4 FSB. If I want the sights regulated to the distances marked on the rear sight, at what range do I sight in and what ammunition do I use?

????????? The link was for open sights not a scope, Am I missing something here.

Do you mean an A2 sight?

Yes, that's what I meant. I got some wires crossed here, sorry about that.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV

Deepwoods

New Guy...
    Aug 17, 2010
    I had a set-up similar to yours, and went with the "improved battlesight zero." Its easy to use with a fixed rear sight, but there's a tutorial out there on how to modify the A2 rear sight for it.

The appeal for IBSZ is that it takes advantage of the ballistics of the 556 and makes sense when one isn't shooting at very long ranges.

For my 14.5" pinned with the 55gr NATO round, I think a 50 yd zero has the bullet return through zero at ~175 yrds, and peaks about 1.5" high at 100.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I have mine set up for the "improved battle sight zero" and have been happy with it so far.
    Google AR15 improved battle sight zero or revised battle sight zero and you'll find plenty of info on how to set it up

Apr 15, 2013
    If I want the sights regulated to the distances marked on the rear sight, at what range do I sight in and what ammunition do I use?

Ideally, you sight at 300m using 5.56 NATO- either M193 or M855.

Of course not everyone has the means to conveniently sight in at 300m- so the Ballistic Drop Compensator (BDC) dial has a provision to sight in at 25m.

To do this, turn the BDC/elevation knob all the way down. This is counterclockwise when viewed from above. It should stop with the flat face of the dial (marked "6/3") on the left side of the carry handle. (There is a tick mark on the left side of the carry handle just above the BDC dial- this is where elevation settings are indicated.) Then turn the BDC up (clockwise) two clicks, until the little "z" on the dial is in line with the tick mark. The rear sight is now set for zeroing at 25m.

Set a target at 25m, get in as steady a position as possible, and fire a 3-5 shot group as accurately as you can. (Ideally this should be done from prone position using a sling to steady the rifle, but if you are the sort to shoot from a bench do as you must.) Observe the distance of your point of impact (POI) from your point of aim (POA).

To adjust your POI so that it matches your POA, turn the front sight post. Turn it clockwise (in) to bring your POI up, or turn it counterclockwise (out) to bring your POI down. For each click (quarter turn) of the front sight post, your POI will shift by about 1 2/3MOA. This is about 3/8" at 25yd.

Once you've done this, your rifle is zeroed. For any target at or within 300m, turn the BDC back down to "6/3". For a target at 400m, turn the BDC up by 6 clicks to the "4" position. To shoot a target at 500m, turn the BDC up 8 more clicks to the "5" position. And to shoot at 600, turn it all the way until "3/6" comes up again.

And if you don't quite follow everything, bring your rifle out to an Appleseed shoot. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom