• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Dammit... Stuck in California and can really appreciate why an airgun makes sense when the laws don't.

My choices are boiling down to the following top 3.

1. FX Impact in .30 cal.
    2. Any Evanix semiautomatic .30 or larger (but would consider .25 cal)
    3. SamYang .45 cal 500cc 909 light hunter

Prices are from about $2k down for the FX to about $500 for the SamYang. I must be insane to consider dropping $2k on an airgun.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

C.Alls

Nov 9, 2013
    Dammit... Stuck in California and can really appreciate why an airgun makes sense when the laws don't.

My choices are boiling down to the following top 3.

1. FX Impact in .30 cal.
    2. Any Evanix semiautomatic .30 or larger (but would consider .25 cal)
    3. SamYang .45 cal 500cc 909 light hunter

Prices are from about $2k down for the FX to about $500 for the SamYang. I must be insane to consider dropping $2k on an airgun.

I own a Day state Wolverine .303 and have owned around 6 different Evanix rifles as well and my buddy has an FX Boss. Bottom line is stay away from the semi-auto Evanix guns period! There is a noticeable lag between trigger pull and firing of the gun. Now the side lever versions of the Evanix guns are awesome but are way over sprung and need a minor tune to be accurate and efficient.

Now the FX Impact is a sick gun! I shot one when I was at the Extreme Bench rest this year and if I didn't already have a super accurate 30cal I'd buy one for sure. My buddies Boss will shoot .35 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards with weighed and sorted pellets (indoors) and my Wolverine easily does 3/4" five shot groups at 100 but his gun is regulated and much easier for him to use do to his lack of knowledge with fill pressures and bell curves.

The Sam Yang 909 is an okay gun but the trigger is horrible and the power level is low for a slug shooting bigbore. For the price range you have they're a a lot of great options but it all depends on what you plan to do/hunt with the rifle?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I own a Day state Wolverine .303 and have owned around 6 different Evanix rifles as well and my buddy has an FX Boss. Bottom line is stay away from the semi-auto Evanix guns period! There is a noticeable lag between trigger pull and firing of the gun. Now the side lever versions of the Evanix guns are awesome but are way over sprung and need a minor tune to be accurate and efficient.

Now the FX Impact is a sick gun! I shot one when I was at the Extreme Bench rest this year and if I didn't already have a super accurate 30cal I'd buy one for sure. My buddies Boss will shoot .35 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards with weighed and sorted pellets (indoors) and my Wolverine easily does 3/4" five shot groups at 100 but his gun is regulated and much easier for him to use do to his lack of knowledge with fill pressures and bell curves.

The Sam Yang 909 is an okay gun but the trigger is horrible and the power level is low for a slug shooting bigbore. For the price range you have they're a a lot of great options but it all depends on what you plan to do/hunt with the rifle?
    I am unsure of what I will or will not do with it, but the only reason I was interested in the evanix semiauto was that they look so easy to convert to full auto and in full auto looked like fun.

I really am mostly interested in a varmint gun but would also like a gun that could take down coyotes with ease. I see either the FX Impact in .30 cal or the SamYang in .45 as being capable of dispatching coyotes. Another gun I would consider is the Benjamin 9mm Bulldog.

C.Alls

Nov 9, 2013
    I am unsure of what I will or will not do with it, but the only reason I was interested in the evanix semiauto was that they look so easy to convert to full auto and in full auto looked like fun.

I really am mostly interested in a varmint gun but would also like a gun that could take down coyotes with ease. I see either the FX Impact in .30 cal or the SamYang in .45 as being capable of dispatching coyotes. Another gun I would consider is the Benjamin 9mm Bulldog.

Stay away from the Benjamin. It's an overpriced big bore that has a hard time past 50 yards. You should look into the American Air arms .357 Slayer. It's a 275ft/lb bull pup that has a 6 round magazine and is deadly accurate. We brought a prototype back from the Extreme Bench Rest and my buddy Mike was slaying the deer with it. His farthest shot was 96 yards and she dropped where she stood.

Attachments

• IMAG0688.jpg
      IMAG0688.jpg
      86 KB · Views: 248

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Thanks, I am a complete Newby to air rifles, but I know that when I saw the Impact that I saw something "different" and exceptional compared to most other offerings. I appreciate your insight.

C.Alls

Nov 9, 2013
    Thanks, I am a complete Newby to air rifles, but I know that when I saw the Impact that I saw something "different" and exceptional compared to most other offerings. I appreciate your insight.

The Impact is an awesome gun for sure. I would trust it on coyote size game out to 75 yards. You will be limited to Diablo style pellets though. The smooth twist barrel does not shoot cast bullets very well at all. It's very quiet with the telescopic barrel shroud and makes around 85-90ft/lbs at the muzzle. They're also dead nuts accurate. I've never shot a .30 FX that wasn't capable of sub MOA at 100 yards.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I am pretty sure that the "smooth twist barrel" is really the same as the Glock polygonal profile, and I would be extremely surprised if it were not. I think that this is an underrated technology, but I am pretty sure that advancements in projectiles will begin to recognize that this technology can be exploited without having to resort to exotic ammunition.

I place a premium on accuracy. I believe that shot placement is everything unless you are dropping 2,000 pound JDAM's or delivering nuclear weapons. The fact is that putting shots on target is critical to employing effective fire. I don't care if the rifle has whiz bang features if I can't consistently place shot after shot where I need it.

C.Alls

Nov 9, 2013
    I am pretty sure that the "smooth twist barrel" is really the same as the Glock polygonal profile, and I would be extremely surprised if it were not. I think that this is an underrated technology, but I am pretty sure that advancements in projectiles will begin to recognize that this technology can be exploited without having to resort to exotic ammunition.

I place a premium on accuracy. I believe that shot placement is everything unless you are dropping 2,000 pound JDAM's or delivering nuclear weapons. The fact is that putting shots on target is critical to employing effective fire. I don't care if the rifle has whiz bang features if I can't consistently place shot after shot where I need it.

Actually the smooth twist barrel is a smooth bore with no rifling till the last 2" of the barrel. So the bullet/pellet glides down the barrel with minimal restrictions till it engages the rifling in those last 2" and the barrel is choked as well which doesn't help with cast bullet accuracy at all.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Interesting. So they still use rifling... I would have expected a polygonal bore. Thanks for the insight.

C.Alls

Nov 9, 2013
    Interesting. So they still use rifling... I would have expected a polygonal bore. Thanks for the insight.

Daystate uses a polygonal bore barrel from Lothar Walter for their .30 Wolverine and it works great. I turned my Wolverine down so that it's shooting around 90ft/lbs with the 44 grain JSB pellets and it's a tack driver! I've taken a fox at 107 yards with that rifle with ease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom