• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    You'll shoot your eye out with that thing!

We shot everything as kids (different time, and, we lived in the middle of no where).

I would recommend building or buying a "trap" style target. As simple as a cardboard box with targets attached to the front or much more complex/sturdy depending on your level of skill.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Something else I DON'T recommend for children is how we do at my shop, helium filled air balloons let go. Takes a WHOLE 'nother level of skill!

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    and these. Stick a roll of caps on-end on a relatively hard backing (I used ceiling tiles in my basement firing range) and a square hit made a nice report. At least, with the caps we used to get when I was a kid.

41gFng3T77L_zps12jjfnz3.jpg

You must have been a good shot. On the ones you can get now the spot to set it off is only 1/8 of an inch.

Pablopac

pablopac
    Aug 7, 2012
    We use balloons on a finishing nail in stumps in the woods. Two kids approach and locate. 1 shoots. If they miss, other shoots. If both miss, either the bb rifleman saves the day, or they take 3 steps closer. Also works with 22 pistol and rifle. Great fun, a little competition. Coach (dad or mom) is walking with them to ensure good handling habits and fundamentals of marksmanship.
    pablo

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    11yo son is getting upgraded from a lever BB to multi-pump BB this Christmas (22 not as easy an option where we live).

This thread is great! :)

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Where are you on the Eastern Shore? There is a junior air rifle program in Rising Sun and another I know of in Salisbury, may be others around.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    QA County

There are a number of American Legions in QA Co. and the Legion has a youth shooting program that the head of the Legion in Maryland has been pushing. You might see if any of them sponsor a program or get a post interested in starting one. The one in Rising Sun and Salisbury are both American legion sponsored.
    http://www.legion.org/shooting

The 4H also has a youth air rifle program and I suspect there are lots of 4H in that area.
    http://www.4-hshootingsports.org/

If those Ideas don't work start your own program. Here is an article in "On The Mark", the CMP magazine, to get you started:
    http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Gary_OTMOct2007.pdf

All it takes is one person with initiative.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom