• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Superreverb

Aug 29, 2009
    Western HoCo
    Title says it all. We're getting ready to redo our kitchen and we're looking for someone who can cast an appraising eye and come up with some great designs. The only caveat is that I'll be doing most of the work myself, using the existing cabinet carcasses and making new doors / resizing to fit.

Anyone here a CKD, or know someone who is?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    You're going to find that most designers won't talk to you if you're not going to buy cabinets from them. Unless you're going to pay them on a hefty hourly basis for their ideas.

It's very hard to come up with new designs using old cabinets because they were bought for that particular layout. They rarely, if ever, work when trying to re-arrange them.

And using a big box store for design work when you know you're not going to buy from them is just plain wrong.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I see the original post is from January and the bump today. If your still looking for someone PM me, I can recommend a guy. He's not cheap but he does a lot of high-end houses around Baltimore.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Redneck............ been on this board since 2007. :thumbsup:

Took me on his honeymoon just to lend him my expertise!

THAT KITCHEN PLACE
    410 238 2700
    9321-F PHILADELPHIA RD
    BALTIMORE MD, 21237
    MHIC #68723

Superreverb

Aug 29, 2009
    Western HoCo
    Thanks, again, y'all!! As soon as things settle down I'll start contacting some of the folks mentioned. Right now, our roof has taken front row, sadly. Cedar sucks....

The kitchen will have to wait a short while.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Unfortunately we don't offer refacing. A large portion of the cost in a cabinet is the door. Typically the door is the only solid wood piece. The rest us usually plywood or a really dense particle board. This helps keep cost down and prevents a substantial chance in warping. For us, we are unable to 100% warranty our work when refacing. We can't warranty your cabinet, just your door since that is the only think we sold you and installed. If you are interested in changing your design I would really encourage you to replace that cabinets. The cost in modifications, if needed, will really drive the price up. Not to mention the possibility of having to repair old screw holes if previously unexposed sides are attached to a cabinet, but the new design will now have the side exposed. Just my $.02 If you decide you want a design and quote on new cabinets feel free to give us a call.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Installing cabinets really isn't all that difficult. I did a kitchen of 13 cabinets last weekend down at the beach.

In the past I had a pretty good experience with Cabinet Discounters out of Columbia/Mount Airy. They'll help with the design and will deliver them to the house for a self install.

Probably not the level of quality you want for your primary residence, but for the beach place I just went with the white Home Depot thermo foil stock cabinets. ~$1450. After shopping around I realized that the differentiating factor in the prices were plywood or high density particle board construction, ball bearing, soft close or roller drawers, and the finish and material quality of the face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom