• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Just finished building a Ruger Mk III clone. Could have done it without any Ruger parts at all but at least for now I installed an OEM Ruger bolt and bought a couple of Ruger mags.
    Volquartsen Alloy Mk III grip frame
    Tactical Solutions Alloy upper receiver/barrel
    OEM bolt built from parts from Numrich Gun Parts
    Majestic Arms extended mag release
    Tandemkross titanium extractor + spring
    Tactical Solutions 1911-22 steel compensator (pictures show SJC alloy comp)
    Taccom Bear Cave 90 degree C-More mount
    C-More Slide Ride red dot.
    And later:
    Volquartsen CNC Competition bolt
    Mec-Gar Ruger magazines

Ruger#1.jpg

Ruger#2.jpg

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Here is the final product with the Ruger bolt, TacSol racker, and Allchin Comp. All ready for Open rimfire steel competition. remains to be seen whether it will supplant my longtime custom Browning.

IMG_20150702_151440137.jpg

IMG_20150702_151415974.jpg

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Shoots really good. I find I can hammer the trigger in the VQ lower faster than I can the Browning. I adjusted some of the pre-travel out of the VQ trigger and my trigger gauge is giving me readings in the same ballpark as my Browning, about 1.8 lbs. Seems to be a little less picky on ammo also. Ran thru 3 boxes of ATI Scorpion 36g HP (same as Armscor 36g HP) as fast as I could at steel and had no duds or anything. plus some Fed Automatch too. Found the extra 3 mags I needed to try it at one of the Steel Challenge matches this weekend on the wall at Hafers this morning. Glad they were open today. Also glad the Allchin comp showed up in the box after work on Thursday. These TS upper assemblies are a full 1" in diameter at the barrel. You can see in the earlier pics I have a ..920" brake on it and it looks funny. Wish I could get a thumbrest on it like on my Browning. I adapted one I was using on my STI but I don't feel like drilling mounting holes in the nice new VQ grip frame just yet.

Target weight was hit as both the FrankenRuger and my Browning Buckmark weigh in the 27-28 oz. range.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Why is the red dot mounted on its side?
    You get the advantage of a low profile mini red dot's low bore axis with the bigger window of a full size red dot. But the guys at C-More hate that we do this to their red dots. The C-More allows you to use interchangeable red dot modules with dot sizes from 2 MOA to 16 MOA. This gun is using the C-More off my STI which has a 12 MOA dot on it. My Browning and my 10/22 steel rifle both have 16 MOA dots on them. There is some variation in the making of the dot modules so a slightly small 16 MOA dot will look like it is the same size as a slightly big 12 MOA dot. This one is an example of a big 12 MOA dot

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I suppose I could do a sight picture. Although looking thru the C-More at a big a** 12 MOA dot is not actually telling you anything. I will say this. I shot the pistol this weekend in the Steel Challenge matches at Peacemaker and Fredericksburg and lowered my Rimfire Pistol Open personal scores in 4 of the 8 stages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom